Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on ChatGPT and other AI?

Hybrid View

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

What are your thoughts on ChatGPT and other AI?

Hey there!
    I have recently change career from Civil Engineer to become an Automation Testing Engineer, and I've been exploring the software universe and all that it have to offer.
    Recently I discovered the Artificial Inteligence and all the benefits it has, I've been actively making questions to ChatGPT about everything, from asking how the weather is going to be in my city, doing basic exams about mexican history and I've even asked about how to provision Docker by using a Vagrant Plugin? (because that was a homework in the Bootcamp I am at)
    It's not perfect, yet. But it's improving.

Here are the screenshots of the responses about my homework.

As you can see, it's amazing!
    But a lot of people are worried because it can do school resumes, legal contracts based on the laws of the city, it can code, give you step by steps recipes and instructions about anything.
    People is worried to lose their jobs because of this tools and some of them wants to do them illegal.

This is not the first time that the technology makes people lose their job, and obviouly it hurts, but I think it makes us adapt and have better things faster.

What do you think about?
    Last edited by Tyranitar; 12-16-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I just saw the MKBHD video about the AI chat thing. I have no doubt i might be using it to help me brainstorm for essays in upcoming college classes.
    I had no idea it could code.
    Though i doubt a company would want to leverage their whole billing system or front-end application on an AI bot.

Right now it seems a bit alien, but if people are using it as a search engine I don't see how it's any different than googling and finding a forum to read.
    And...the essay writer websites have existed on the internet for years lol. Usually professors will know if bits and pieces have been copied.

As far as AI art, i'm not a huge fan of it. You can make a portrait of yourself and it's cool for 2 minutes. Then what are you going to do with it? You didn't draw it yourself. It feels really gimmicky. I do agree with MKBHD in that it's a huge data collection issue if you upload your face or a location to these ai bots. Artists aren't getting credited and sometimes you can even see their signatures in the AI creations :/
    Last edited by Baklava; 12-17-2022 at 09:28 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baklava For This Useful Post:

Tyranitar (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I think that AI is kind of scary for a lot of people right now because they feel like it's going to replace them and it may but I feel like a lot of us will be long gone before AI is completely running everything and no one has to work anymore. Til then I think that AI is kind of helpful. It makes work easier. You can get writing prompts to help with an assignment or project, code that you may not feel like writing, you can get a hilariously bad movie script to act out on YouTube for LULZ, have AI create a new pokemon for you to recreate in your own way etc.

When I was younger I always watched documentary movies about how eventually everything will be automated and we'll be living in a moneyless utopia where people actually get to enjoy their hobbies and passions not worry about what they're worth to everyone else and I think AI is the ticket to that.

As for the art part, I agree it's stealing people's art styles and such but I still use it (but don't claim it as mine in any sense). I draw pictures and then let AI change them because I suck at drawing, coloring, shading, etc no matter how much I practice. I know a lot of professional artists who use it too but in a different way. The artists I know will type in a very detailed prompt and use the generated image as inspiration or reference for what they're drawing.

But alas I'm no artist so I have to settle with drawing crap and getting it "fixed"
    Examples (and like Baklava said some do have artist signatures that the AI has distorted):

Ai art is no where near good though as you can see, they've all got an eerie fakeness to them which is why I think artist use them to come up with a scene and then use it as a reference to draw into their own style.

I have noticed though when I try to get the same things to happen to my cousin's work (professional artist), it doesn't keep any original features no matter which AI I use, it just spits out a random image. But on the things I draw, it just takes what I drew and makes it look more like what I was trying for, that's kind of weird to me.
    Like we're making our own monster game right now and I took some of her designs and ran them through to see what they'd look like "scary" and they were unrecognizable.

I guess it just takes my "art" style and thinks "Oh no honey, this needs fixed fixed" where as with hers its like "Nah this is perfect but we'll give you a random image anyways"

My cousin says that AI really doesn't change anything on the art style theft front because over the years she's had several people steal her style without AI (I guess by studying it or tracing or something IDK) and now all of their artwork looks like my cousin drew it. She said that's different than her actual job where people have to copy each other's art styles so that the finished product is all the same style (think Neopets where most of the art looks the same even though there are different artist working on it)

I think there should be some restrictions on AI, absolutely (stolen art styles, nudes of real people, etc). But I don't think it should be banned. Governments, militaries, labs, etc are going to use it regardless to make their jobs easier, why wouldn't we want to use it to make our jobs easier?
    Last edited by Narkotiq; 01-01-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Wow @(you need an account to see links), your point of view is so interesting!
    I think you're the first one that gives me that answer.
    A lot of people is really worried or really excited, but it seems that for you is just another day, I love it.
    @(you need an account to see links) I also watched a lot of sci fi movies about AI! They're awesome and that's why I'm so excited about this.
    I didn't know that they're stealing people artwork, but once you mentioned I think it's pretty obvious because the AI trains themself with all the data and media that is given, rigth?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    35d 23h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I'm an engineer and the greatest fear I have with this is that nobody checks the answer they get from AI systems. Believe it or not, there can be significant flaws in the answers they provide. Way back in the 1980's there was a huge push to use AI Expert Systems to replace expensive engineers. It fell out of use for the same reason: no one checked the answers, so there were catastrophic failures. The only people who could check the answers were the experts they had replaced. They had to hire us all back.

For an example with ChatGPT: I presented a coding problem and asked the AI to write me a solution in Java. It did. And, for a couple of examples, the program worked correctly. But, when presented with a use case that was not in its training set, the answer was wrong. Very wrong. If this program had been put into a production system, it would have created a catastrophic failure. (The error had to do with how Java handles integer division; it truncates. This creates very wrong answers).

I teach coding and I know students use this for homework solutions. It makes me have to work very hard to think of problems that have "quirky" behavior that a student should catch, but the AI doesn't. There is also a complementary system to ChatGPT that uses a similar algorithm to detect answer created by the ChatGPT algorithm. This should help eliminate its use for Academic cheating - but it will not help in industry if no one is checking/proof-reading the answers the AI creates.
    PipBoy
    Born 6/06/2021
    The Bestest Ryugotchi in the World

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by teslagirl View Post
    I'm an engineer and the greatest fear I have with this is that nobody checks the answer they get from AI systems. Believe it or not, there can be significant flaws in the answers they provide. Way back in the 1980's there was a huge push to use AI Expert Systems to replace expensive engineers. It fell out of use for the same reason: no one checked the answers, so there were catastrophic failures. The only people who could check the answers were the experts they had replaced. They had to hire us all back.

For an example with ChatGPT: I presented a coding problem and asked the AI to write me a solution in Java. It did. And, for a couple of examples, the program worked correctly. But, when presented with a use case that was not in its training set, the answer was wrong. Very wrong. If this program had been put into a production system, it would have created a catastrophic failure. (The error had to do with how Java handles integer division; it truncates. This creates very wrong answers).

I teach coding and I know students use this for homework solutions. It makes me have to work very hard to think of problems that have "quirky" behavior that a student should catch, but the AI doesn't. There is also a complementary system to ChatGPT that uses a similar algorithm to detect answer created by the ChatGPT algorithm. This should help eliminate its use for Academic cheating - but it will not help in industry if no one is checking/proof-reading the answers the AI creates.
    Wow, nice. What's your subject about?
    Yes, I think that's a very common problem with every source of information, not only AI. People just copy and paste without reading or understanding what they are getting.
    And for that exact reason is that I'm not worried about AI stealing jobs, because someone needs to verify the answers, yet.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    35d 23h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Wow, nice. What's your subject about?
    I worked for 20 years as an Aerospace Engineer. I started when the industry was transitioning from Analog to Digital instrumentation (The mid 1980s). Because I was the only engineer that took programming classes (yeah Fortran 77!), I did alot of programming for automated data acquisition systems and flight controls. I loved computers so much that I got my graduate degrees in Computer Science. I left industry and took a vow of poverty to teach Computer Science at a University (but now I have tenure, semester breaks and summer vacation...it's sooooo worth the cut in pay, lol).
    PipBoy
    Born 6/06/2021
    The Bestest Ryugotchi in the World

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teslagirl For This Useful Post:

Menine (01-22-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by teslagirl View Post
    I worked for 20 years as an Aerospace Engineer. I started when the industry was transitioning from Analog to Digital instrumentation (The mid 1980s). Because I was the only engineer that took programming classes (yeah Fortran 77!), I did alot of programming for automated data acquisition systems and flight controls. I loved computers so much that I got my graduate degrees in Computer Science. I left industry and took a vow of poverty to teach Computer Science at a University (but now I have tenure, semester breaks and summer vacation...it's sooooo worth the cut in pay, lol).
    Holy! My head exploded.
    What a super nice background! I'm amazed! Wow!
    I think after all you achieve, you deserve to have those semester breaks and summer vacations.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've been using the ChatGPT AI bot for a while, only a day or so after the public release iirc. The bot has been getting... dumber. I'm sure this is an attempt to water down plagiarism and such, but it's making it much harder to use it for things like writing simple stories.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    31d 15h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Honestly, I think this is going to be a case of us trying to make our lives too easy.

The AI is already becoming a huge problem in schools as obviously kids are using it to do their homework for them. That's going to mean not only that they're not learning properly and aren't prepared in exams, but they won't know how to write an essay or write formally themselves when they need to. I know I'd have used this to write papers when I was in school and if I'd done that I wouldn't have learned the skills I need to become a journalist, and I'd have lost a lot of my creative writing ability I'm sure.

You'll also find kids who try really hard and do the work themselves getting marked down because they can't compare to the bot answers.

I think it's going to cause brain drain in schools and ultimately leave kids less educated unless teachers can find a way round it. I already know one school where the homework is to revise a topic and then they have to write their essay in class - but this eats up class learning time.

The company I work for is already using it to generate blog and social media posts, which will ultimately put people out of a job - content farms are already bad enough.

And the AI steals text just like it steals art. If you ask it specific enough questions it will grab chunks from specific websites - people using it could open themselves up to plagiarism suits without realising it, and writers are having their work stolen with no pay.

So for me it's fun and interesting to tap around on but I honestly worry whether this is the next life improving invention that ultimately makes life worse.