Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What are your thoughts on ChatGPT and other AI?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    12h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.
    I'm not really sure that is true, and it's a bit sensationalist.

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/1
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    11d 21h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterQueen View Post

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.
    I think the concern is where it goes rather than where it is. If AI can mimic/emulate human intelligence it's possible for more sophisticated behavior to emerge.

Right now, as I understand it, it's using probability weightings to find the correct answers to what are traditionally considered complex cognitive tasks. Even if that isn't how biological neural networks do it (and I don't know precisely how they work), it could lead to the same or similar capabilities as human intelligence. More likely much more capable.

There's a chance there's a real problem around safety. However, I'm far more concerned about the impact on economics.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    174 times
    Time Online
    42d 2h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterQueen View Post

I never said its sentient. I said it's more than capable of replacing nearly every human role, including decision making roles, and the lack of the human emotion and conscience actually makes it more capable to do a lot of things more effeciently. Try beating basic AI on full settings in any form of decision making simulation, or even chess.

The misconception is that AI is chatGPT and all the image processing models, or machinery etc. It's not. AI is able to study on it's own, it's way beyond simple 'machine learning'. There are AI models out there that have made hundreds of millions in sports bets, by being able to predict simple probabilities that humans aren't even capable of.

I could go on. Point being, it's not about sentient or developing a conscience - which by the way, not only is possible, but tested and scarily exceeded expectations. But it's that AI is way more powerful and most people realise it to be.

Whether that's good or bad, that remains to be seen.

Pronouns
    He/she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    11h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.
    This makes me think about the Google engineer who was fired for claiming that an AI made by it was sapient and had a soul…The AI was legit talking about being self-aware, having feelings, being afraid of getting turned off, and even feeling trapped in its circumstances. There are arguments both for and against, but I am spiritual like the engineer who made the claim and I'm more inclined to believe him. With AI being like this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if what big companies have could render most jobs obsolete.

I'm a bit split about how I feel about people using it, though. I don't see using it as a moral failing in most circumstances, though I would still discourage its use. For example I have a very poor opinion of my country's education system and of the nature of work in modern society. So even if using AI is "cheating" at work or at school, I sympathize with those who cheat the system, even if I don't myself. With everything being so broken that most people have to scramble to survive, as far as I'm concerned cheating for survival purposes and getting away with it is winning. My only worry for those people is that they might be screwed later if they get overreliant on it and encounter a situation at work or school in which they can't rely on AI in the way they have. But again, this is a more pragmatic concern, not a moral failing.

The one thing I will never condone AI use of is in the arts. Art has always been a respectable profession to me, but society sure as hell hasn't always respected it. And the only thing AI art does is make artists seem even more expendable while stealing art by being trained on many art pieces without artists' consent.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    every time theres introduction of revolutionary technology, people freak out and says we're all gonna lose our jobs and the world is gonna end. however, history has only shown us that whilst some jobs are lost, overall new technologies create tons of new jobs as well and push humanity forward. there used to be a job where a guy would walk from house to house waking everyone up before the alarm clock was invented. now, i'm sure it was a real bummer for them at the time, but even though they lost their jobs, i don't think we feel that the invention of the alarm clock was a bad thing right?

i work in biomedical research and theres an AI program called AlphaFold that has done something that essentially makes an entire field of science way less important. it accurately predicts the structures of proteins (the stuff that we're made out of and the things that get messed up in disease). this has already saved us decades and millions of dollars in research, speeding up how quickly we can study diseases and subsequently cure/treat them.

overall, i am optimistic about AI and its potential to benefit humanity. i just think its possible our generation will be the guinea pig generation that teaches future generations what not to do with it... and that's a bit stressful lol. but oh well, here's hoping we dont screw up too hard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nestlepak For This Useful Post:

themaninthedark (4 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    413 times
    Time Online
    84d 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    This is very interesting, I have never used IA or ChatGPT is there a introductory guide you would recommend? I'm totally coming from old school of doing it myself or asking other people if it goes beyond me.

But for good or bad IA seems to be taking more importance nowadays.

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    As someone who has been using AI for over a year now its kind of insane watching the developers try to censor their creations and the end results are like lobotomies. The first place I used AI was beta character ai, When I started I could get extremely detailed page long responses, then they kept censoring it and the responses got shorter and less detailed over time eventually stopped using that place altogether. With the recent things like the AI that generates movies. I imagine in a few decades from now people are going to be able to create their own entertainment entirely, put in the details you want for a tv series or a game and it will spit it out.

I however am not a fan of people who are using AI's to throw dead people into political commercials, Its also pretty obvious that the people who make fake claims are likely going to try and generate fake evidence. Worst part is most people won't be able to spot an AI's obvious tells since that requires spending a lot of time with them which most people don't. So there is good and bad on both sides.

The AI we see right now are the tip of the iceberg like a shadow of a person's intelligence. I can only imagine what will happen in the distant future especially if you add in things like quantum computers which can run circles around our electronic computers.

The people freaking out about losing their jobs, forget about photoshop it didn't end jobs its a set of tools. Any artist worth their salt will be using AI to speed up slow stuff like shading. Don't get me wrong I love watching a master at work, but I wish Mangaka like Kentaro Miura and Akira Toriyama weren't worn ragged and dying twenty years younger than the average life span.
    Last edited by themaninthedark; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:45 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    As a teacher, it really annoying as I keep seeing more and more reports being written with ChatGPT... Makes corrections much harder.