Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What are your thoughts on ChatGPT and other AI?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.
    I'm not really sure that is true, and it's a bit sensationalist.

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    5d 12h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 7m
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterQueen View Post

In dystopian movies AI is typically sentient and acting out some type of revenge against humanity. AI as it stands today is not 'sentient.' It does not have motivations or goals. They are just large models that are trained with immense datasets. They don't have critical thinking or problem-solving skills.
    I think the concern is where it goes rather than where it is. If AI can mimic/emulate human intelligence it's possible for more sophisticated behavior to emerge.

Right now, as I understand it, it's using probability weightings to find the correct answers to what are traditionally considered complex cognitive tasks. Even if that isn't how biological neural networks do it (and I don't know precisely how they work), it could lead to the same or similar capabilities as human intelligence. More likely much more capable.

There's a chance there's a real problem around safety. However, I'm far more concerned about the impact on economics.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    37d 20h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterQueen View Post

I never said its sentient. I said it's more than capable of replacing nearly every human role, including decision making roles, and the lack of the human emotion and conscience actually makes it more capable to do a lot of things more effeciently. Try beating basic AI on full settings in any form of decision making simulation, or even chess.

The misconception is that AI is chatGPT and all the image processing models, or machinery etc. It's not. AI is able to study on it's own, it's way beyond simple 'machine learning'. There are AI models out there that have made hundreds of millions in sports bets, by being able to predict simple probabilities that humans aren't even capable of.

I could go on. Point being, it's not about sentient or developing a conscience - which by the way, not only is possible, but tested and scarily exceeded expectations. But it's that AI is way more powerful and most people realise it to be.

Whether that's good or bad, that remains to be seen.

Pronouns
    He/she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I've been using AI a fair bit in my professional and my personal life for reasons I won't explain. It's definitely useful.

The problem is almost nobody really understands how powerful this tech really is. We all know about the 'dangers of AI', but the truth is it's already way beyond that. You know the dystopian movies where AI takes over from humans? Yeah, that's actually more than possible already. Most basic AI available to civilians is already capable of that and has been specifially limited from being able to do that.

There is tech out there with the big corporates that has already made nearly every human role on the planet obsolete. We aren't going to be predated, we're already predated. It just depends on who and when decides to let the dogs out.
    This makes me think about the Google engineer who was fired for claiming that an AI made by it was sapient and had a soul…The AI was legit talking about being self-aware, having feelings, being afraid of getting turned off, and even feeling trapped in its circumstances. There are arguments both for and against, but I am spiritual like the engineer who made the claim and I'm more inclined to believe him. With AI being like this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if what big companies have could render most jobs obsolete.

I'm a bit split about how I feel about people using it, though. I don't see using it as a moral failing in most circumstances, though I would still discourage its use. For example I have a very poor opinion of my country's education system and of the nature of work in modern society. So even if using AI is "cheating" at work or at school, I sympathize with those who cheat the system, even if I don't myself. With everything being so broken that most people have to scramble to survive, as far as I'm concerned cheating for survival purposes and getting away with it is winning. My only worry for those people is that they might be screwed later if they get overreliant on it and encounter a situation at work or school in which they can't rely on AI in the way they have. But again, this is a more pragmatic concern, not a moral failing.

The one thing I will never condone AI use of is in the arts. Art has always been a respectable profession to me, but society sure as hell hasn't always respected it. And the only thing AI art does is make artists seem even more expendable while stealing art by being trained on many art pieces without artists' consent.