Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which generation had your favorite metagame?

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m

Which generation had your favorite metagame?

Pokemon's metagame has gone through a lot of changes over the years with all the new mons, types, moves, and gimmicks that have come and gone. Which one is your favorite? And if you feel so inclined, why?

For me, I think that gen 6 might take the cake. The PSS was extremely convenient, the introduction of megas was exciting, and I felt like the vibes were generally good all-around. I also have a pretty big soft-spot for gen 4 and 5.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I'm going to have to say 6 as well. Megas were my favorite gimmick. Terastalizing is a close second, but gen 6 has ORAS and gen 3 is my favorite gen. PSS was perfect. Kinda wish I was more active in general with pokemon then than I am now. I know it's most likely never going to happen but I still secretly wish for a new game to have megas again and expand on that. I need a mega Milotic lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-23-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    @(you need an account to see links) I haven't played SV yet but terastalizing seems intriguing... though I hate the visuals of it, lol. I was really surprised that they discontinued megas. They have so much potential and they gave so many mons that had been previously irrelevant in the metagame some time to shine in competitive. They also seem so much more integral to the world lore than z-moves, or dynamaxing, but c'est la vie I guess. Gen 3 is also my favorite gen, Hoenn forever. 🎺

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 7h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    I would say probably Gen 2

I liked a lot of the pokemon, and crystal was the first game you could play as a girl. And the cart was so nice to look at.

Definitely my fav just for the pokemon and legendaries alone.
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-23-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 8h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    ohhh easy gen 6, it was one of the ONLY gens I played competitively because i loved megas and using unexpected teams. it was so fun, and the abilities some of them got were bonkers.

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-23-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 15h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I had the most fun in Gen IV personally, though I'm a little biased since that was when I played most.
    Nowadays I'm just a casual run through the main story and call it quits guy lol.

Megas definitely impacted the way teams were built -- I thought it was interesting but felt like it introduced a layer to it that felt like it wasn't as unified, like instead of a team of 6 you were kinda building a team of 5 + 1 with a whole different set of picks and counterpicks.
    Just my two cents though, I also didn't extensively play Gen VI so that's just what I think.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalez For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-23-2023),goodnightmoon (06-23-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Quote Originally Posted by kalez View Post
    I had the most fun in Gen IV personally, though I'm a little biased since that was when I played most.
    Nowadays I'm just a casual run through the main story and call it quits guy lol.

Megas definitely impacted the way teams were built -- I thought it was interesting but felt like it introduced a layer to it that felt like it wasn't as unified, like instead of a team of 6 you were kinda building a team of 5 + 1 with a whole different set of picks and counterpicks.
    Just my two cents though, I also didn't extensively play Gen VI so that's just what I think.
    Yeah I get what you mean by 5+1, it definitely felt that way sometimes, especially with some megas being broken af (Mega Kangaskhan for example). Gen IV's metagame was super fun. I used to spend all day battling people over Wi-fi in Battle Revolution.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

kalez (06-23-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 20h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    I think ruby/sapphire/emerald (Gen 3) take the cake as my favorites. I always remember LOVING the stories, replaying a million times. And the remakes had me living in nostalgia. I think that was the first game with secret bases? and I got deeeeeep into decorating mine.

thank you Lyrichord for the amazing avatar!

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    @(you need an account to see links)Gen III is my favorite too! RSE and FRLG are definitely the ones I replay the most, and Colosseum has a special place in my heart. Its metagame was pretty inaccessible, especially for a kid, so I never got to play it in its heyday. I've played a couple of gen 3 styled battles on Showdown and it was really fun though! It's definitely interesting to work with mons pre special split.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

goodnightmoon (06-23-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 20h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedteeth View Post
    @(you need an account to see links)Gen III is my favorite too! RSE and FRLG are definitely the ones I replay the most, and Colosseum has a special place in my heart. Its metagame was pretty inaccessible, especially for a kid, so I never got to play it in its heyday. I've played a couple of gen 3 styled battles on Showdown and it was really fun though! It's definitely interesting to work with mons pre special split.
    Ohhh COLLOSEUM how could I forget!? Was so hard for me as a kid but easily one of my favorites of all time!

thank you Lyrichord for the amazing avatar!