Thread: What did you think of the new Star Wars movies?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Question What did you think of the new Star Wars movies?

Not tryin to start debates, I promise!!

I know it's a bit divisive. Some people love 'em... some people hate 'em! I'm a big Star Wars nerd myself and have a lot of mixed feelings about the sequels still.

I liked a lot about it. I thought the characters had a ton of potential. I actually sort of liked the whole Kylo/Rey thing (I know I know but hear me out before you cringe into oblivion) - I think it would have been genuinely interesting for the series to have two protagonists that bring balance to the force together. But it sorta seemed like they came up with that idea halfway through the series. I was so frustrated by the inconsistent writing and how chaotic it all seemed. It really felt like they had zero plan and changed things on the fly instead of planning out the whole trilogy beforehand.

Whether you think it was a hot mess or a stroke of genius or both, lemme hear your thoughts and let's talk some Star Wars!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    943 times
    Time Online
    116d 16h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I'm fairly new to the SW franchise despite it being my generation's thing but personally, I really disliked them! Rey and Kylo were NOT compelling at all and their "romance" came out of nowhere. Everything seemed so all over the place and just the coincidental/primitive writing was basic and uninteresting. I had watched every SW movie in release order (including Rogue One, Solo) in the span of one week for a marathon as an uninitiated and boy the new movies fell so flat. A very unsatisfying ending to my binge watching. (I really loved Rogue One though and hope I have time to check out all the spin off series when I can)

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 23m
    Disney ruined the greatest potential for Finn to become a Jedi. Even the actor was disappointed how his character was gonna end and even Oscar Isaac said in a interview that his character; Poe wanted a relationship with Finn.

I watched the OG starwars with my dad as a child. I haven't seen them since I was a child and I recently re-picked up Starwars sometime early this year when I found out about The Mandalorian. I previously had watched the Force Awakens & Return of the Jedi but I hadn't seen the latest one; Rise of Skywalker. To be honest I didn't know what to feel on the last one? Like it was so.. poorly rushed to me like that was they're best they could come up with? :/

Also I didn't see the appeal of Reylo tbh. The kiss at the end? Cringe. Why? It was not needed 😭

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Totodile For This Useful Post:

Ice (11-08-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    I'm always a sucker for prequels and sequels after the originals. I'm also not too much into the details so I enjoy learning stories about different characters and more than all of that, LIGHTSABERS!!!!!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I'm fairly new to the SW franchise despite it being my generation's thing but personally, I really disliked them! Rey and Kylo were NOT compelling at all and their "romance" came out of nowhere. Everything seemed so all over the place and just the coincidental/primitive writing was basic and uninteresting. I had watched every SW movie in release order (including Rogue One, Solo) in the span of one week for a marathon as an uninitiated and boy the new movies fell so flat. A very unsatisfying ending to my binge watching. (I really loved Rogue One though and hope I have time to check out all the spin off series when I can)
    Totally, their 'romance' was not written well.. but I liked the idea, in theory lol. I think what appealed to me the most was having two protagonist force users that sort of meet in the middle if that makes sense. I liked that concept but it was written so badly. I'm also just a sucker for enemies to lovers as a trope.

The ending was awful and completely unsatisfying like you said! It's super frustrating because they had some great actors and I feel like they totally just wasted them.

I liked Rogue One, and Mandalorian. Everything else that Disney has done with SW though to me has just been so badly done. Even though I liked some episodes from Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, they are such a cash grab and you can just tell that they were rushed out as quickly as possible which is why everything feels so fake and unsatisfying.

@(you need an account to see links) Totally agree about Finn... a jedi stormtrooper would have been amazing but they just tossed his character to the side and I'm pretty sure it was to appeal to the Chinese market. Just look up the Chinese movie posters of the sequels and you'll see what I mean, lol. It's super ironic given that Disney claims to be so not racist and progressive, meanwhile they threw a minority character under the bus just to make more money overseas. It's gross.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novaray For This Useful Post:

Ice (11-08-2022),Totodile (11-08-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    943 times
    Time Online
    116d 16h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    @(you need an account to see links) oh trust me I am sooooo there with you to enemies to lovers but when it is that bad and off kilter I simply could not suspend my belief enough 😂 I see what you mean though, opposing forces coming together is always a great trope. Definitely wanted to see Poe with Finn as well and Rey their third best friend who is just angry and gruff all the time haha.

I did hear lots of good things about Mandalorian but that's unfortunate regarding the other two. Also heard good things about the Clone Wars animated series but so many seasons?? Need more hours in the day 🙃 I know there's a new series the name is eluding me right now though even though I JUST saw an ad on FB earlier today about how the main cast was revealed that Lee Jung Jae is in (main actor from squid game) so I'm really curious to hear what's up with that ????

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Hmmm might be Andor?? I've heard really good things about that one actually. Clone Wars is REALLY good but yes there are way too many episodes! You can actually google a list of 'essential Clone Wars episodes' and that way you can just watch the plot episodes and skip all the filler. It has a lot of filler episodes, lol.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    943 times
    Time Online
    116d 16h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaray View Post
    @(you need an account to see links)

Hmmm might be Andor?? I've heard really good things about that one actually. Clone Wars is REALLY good but yes there are way too many episodes! You can actually google a list of 'essential Clone Wars episodes' and that way you can just watch the plot episodes and skip all the filler. It has a lot of filler episodes, lol.
    Oh perhaps that sounds familiar haha! My mind is a sieve. Also that is a super good idea about Clone Wars although I am the kind of person who absolutely cannot stand not watching things in order/completion, even if it takes more time 💀 it's not that I hate filler episodes since they can be good, I think overall it's just daunting that it has all those seasons haha. But maybe, if needs must!

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 23m
    The one thing I was excited for starwars wise was the 2nd season of the bad batch but they pushed it back to roll out Kenobi and Andor uwu

I've not seek Clone Wars. I mean I tried but the first episode was what an hour fucking long? I fell asleep just watching it LOL. I think that was the same day my friends were barking about The bad Batch and decided to give it a go.. and needless to say I enjoyed it without having NO clone wars knowledge

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    absolutely hated it. Hate everything Disney has done with Star Wars tbh. just a cash grab. no soul or artistic vibe to it.