Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you could go back in time to a certain point of your life, would you do it?

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Listen, man. I've seen The Butterfly Effect. Amazing film, by the way. Highly recommend.

Anyways, I understand how changing one small thing can very easily change the trajectory of your future. So, no thanks. I haven't always had it easy, frankly a lot of the time I still don't. But would I go back and change anything? No, I wouldn't.

Every experience and interaction I have had, from the moment I was born, has shaped me and contributed to brain development, including core aspects of who I am. Brain development is a fascinating subject to learn about as well, by the way. A lot of things play into how the brain develops. You'd be surprised at how cognitive development and early healthy and toxic stress and relationships and interactions can affect many other aspects of human development.

So... As much as certain things in the past may have hurt me, or if I made bad decisions... it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I still wouldn't change it, because then I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn and grow from these experiences. It would not have helped me become the adult I am. I wouldn't be where and who I am today without it. Everyone has a complex neurological history behind them, whether they realize it or not. We should look at our experience from a wider, holistic (think: all-encompassing) lens. Why bother thinking about what we could have done differently in the past, or people we could have avoided, etc? Instead, we should be thinking about how can we change the world around us going forward? We can't change our pasts. But we can change what is ahead of us, and we can change how we handle and respond to whatever life may throw at us.
    Being who we are now really is a big thing in the end.
    Life shapes us all and takes us in directions that we may not like.

But I do agree that being who we are NOW is a big and important thing.
    That being said, I think I would still like to redo it all over again. As must as I love certain part of my life, I ... (please nobody take this the wrong way) just dont like where I am. But who's to blame for it?
    I am. I'm to blame for it. So maybe if I could start over, I would be way better off than how I am now.

There are those who have it WAY worse than me though! Im not saying my life is terrible.
    I fully understand that there are others who have it worse and I am so sorry for that!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

howdy (10-26-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Most of the things I would go back and do different are about being present and appreciating what I have. Grandparents that aren't here any more that I wish I would have had deeper conversations with. I went to college somewhere really beautiful and could have spent more time outside. Relationships I was so afraid of losing that I didn't spend the time to really savor the good times. Those are the only things I'd do differently if I could. I agree with all the sentiments about not being able to really imagine a particularly better outcome for myself that I could control. But overall I'm really in a place where I feel like appreciating what I have even if it's not everything I'd hoped for, feels much better than being regretful. But even still, I regret not adopting that mindset earlier. I guess I was only doing my best though, maybe I wouldn't have even been able to without what I've learned up to this point.
    🔗(you need an account to see links)

💖 meme inspo : Dita and Cat Purrson 💖
    orig. + more memes in (you need an account to see links)
    🌵 Cactus Ryu : Great White North🌵

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howdy For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (10-26-2022),Bulbasaur (10-27-2022),kittyray (10-27-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    93d 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    This sounds VERY tempting because I made quite a few stupid mistakes in my early-mid 20's. However, I think the lessons I learned had quite an amount of value to them. It's very hard to do, but I think I'd let the sleeping dogs lie. & also yeah the "future" would be different too, don't want to mess with that lol

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    Most of the things I would go back and do different are about being present and appreciating what I have. Grandparents that aren't here any more that I wish I would have had deeper conversations with. I went to college somewhere really beautiful and could have spent more time outside. Relationships I was so afraid of losing that I didn't spend the time to really savor the good times. Those are the only things I'd do differently if I could. I agree with all the sentiments about not being able to really imagine a particularly better outcome for myself that I could control. But overall I'm really in a place where I feel like appreciating what I have even if it's not everything I'd hoped for, feels much better than being regretful. But even still, I regret not adopting that mindset earlier. I guess I was only doing my best though, maybe I wouldn't have even been able to without what I've learned up to this point.
    The talk about relationships is one big one for me.
    There are two moment in my life that I wis I NEVER would have messed up.

One being where I was with someone and was so much in love with them. We both were so happy for YEARS!
    Till one day a certain event happened that...I think I drove them to do? Idk, but I believe that if I would have just took better care of things around that time, I would still be with this person and be so much better off.
    Single life for this Bulba, but I would have loved to have had a chance at what could have been

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

howdy (10-27-2022)