Thread: What is the best meal/food you have ever eaten?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    17d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m

What is the best meal/food you have ever eaten?

So sometimes at my work we enjoy creating positive moments with customers where we like to get to know them. So we ask fun questions and today I had a good idea while talking about a food Cheesecake Factory took off their menu. (It was pretzel breaded chicken tenders btw)

What is the—or one of the, best meal/food you have eaten so far in your lifetime? Could be an individual dish, home cooked or somewhere you went. Maybe it’s tied to a very precious memory. Maybe just the atmosphere was enough to make you feel super satisfied and happy.

For me the best I can think of at the moment is Art of Pizza’s Chicago style deep dish in Chicago. Specifically the last time I went and it snowed all night and I ordered in with my partner and we just watched Shark Tank in our hotel and ate it.
    It was one of the best meals for me because we drove 5 hours there on a whim just so I could taste it again after years of not having it. The spontaneity of just going “hey we both don’t work tomorrow screw it lets go” I specifically love it because it has a delicious strong oregano flavor in the sauce and the cheese is almost sweet.
    Other than that I’d have to say my mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup in late November. It just hits different then.
    What’s yours?
    Last edited by pillowfighter; 09-17-2022 at 11:49 PM. Reason: idk how to spell apparently oop

pancake the ryu

thank you honeycomb for the pancake doodle and hearts for the sleepy pumpkin!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pillowfighter For This Useful Post:

hearts (09-18-2022),♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022),Meepit (09-18-2022),Zenitsu (09-18-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I love spontaneous decisions like that! Impulsive memories are better and more memorable than planned memories. I said what I said. 😜

My favorite meals are 3 of my grandma's southern recipes.

1. Rice and brown gravy (I make it with vegetarian brown gravy on my own now)
    2. Butterbeans seasoned with chicken bouillon cubes instead of ham hock (blechhhh @ ham hock) I haven't eaten any of her butterbeans since I was a teen and I don't really know a vegetarian substitute for the chicken bouillon, soooo. I dunno. 😩 She would also back crispy fried cornbread to dip in the butterbean juice. 🤤
    3. Fried potatoes graded with a cheese grater. They end up being like hash browns I guess? But omg I'd eat tf out of this right now.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hearts For This Useful Post:

♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022),Meepit (09-18-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (09-18-2022),Zenitsu (09-18-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    this is a great question! I'll have to sit and think on what the best tasting one was, there's a few that come to mind. For special memories -

1) Olive Garden in college lol. My best friend and I in college were both broke as hell and when Olive Garden had their annual Never-Ending Pasta Bowl promotion it was our tradition to go and absolutely gorge ourselves on mediocre fettucine and leave with a huge thing of leftovers each. The absolute levels of hype when we knew NEPB season was approaching, it was like our Christmas. I don't think I've been to an Olive Garden in at least a decade but I still grin every time I see one because it reminds me of the simple joy of us being broke college kids excited to have the rare treat of eating out together.

2) The morning after the first time I spent the night at my now-fiance's house when he made us breakfast the next day. It was the first time a boy had ever cooked for me. I had had some not great relationships up to this point in life and also never dated someone who enjoyed cooking so it was a new thing for me in a couple of ways. I can vividly remember it. He made coffee and insisted I hang out at the kitchen table and relax while he cooked us migas. The kitchen was very cheery and sunny and he was playing Robert Johnson, this song specifically:

It was the best breakfast I ever had and I don't even particularly like migas x)

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Houndoom (09-20-2022),Meepit (09-18-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (09-18-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    17d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Quote Originally Posted by hearts View Post
    I love spontaneous decisions like that! Impulsive memories are better and more memorable than planned memories. I said what I said. 😜

My favorite meals are 3 of my grandma's southern recipes.

1. Rice and brown gravy (I make it with vegetarian brown gravy on my own now)
    2. Butterbeans seasoned with chicken bouillon cubes instead of ham hock (blechhhh @ ham hock) I haven't eaten any of her butterbeans since I was a teen and I don't really know a vegetarian substitute for the chicken bouillon, soooo. I dunno. 😩 She would also back crispy fried cornbread to dip in the butterbean juice. 🤤
    3. Fried potatoes graded with a cheese grater. They end up being like hash browns I guess? But omg I'd eat tf out of this right now.
    Oh man few things hit as good as some good homemade southern food. I’m so glad you are able to enjoy these! Thank you for sharing! Do you have a good memory tied to any of them specifically that stands out the most?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    this is a great question! I'll have to sit and think on what the best tasting one was, there's a few that come to mind. For special memories -

1) Olive Garden in college lol. My best friend and I in college were both broke as hell and when Olive Garden had their annual Never-Ending Pasta Bowl promotion it was our tradition to go and absolutely gorge ourselves on mediocre fettucine and leave with a huge thing of leftovers each. The absolute levels of hype when we knew NEPB season was approaching, it was like our Christmas. I don't think I've been to an Olive Garden in at least a decade but I still grin every time I see one because it reminds me of the simple joy of us being broke college kids excited to have the rare treat of eating out together.

2) The morning after the first time I spent the night at my now-fiance's house when he made us breakfast the next day. It was the first time a boy had ever cooked for me. I had had some not great relationships up to this point in life and also never dated someone who enjoyed cooking so it was a new thing for me in a couple of ways. I can vividly remember it. He made coffee and insisted I hang out at the kitchen table and relax while he cooked us migas. The kitchen was very cheery and sunny and he was playing Robert Johnson, this song specifically:

It was the best breakfast I ever had and I don't even particularly like migas x)
    YESSSS I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!!!
    I’m so happy you got to enjoy these moments!!! I think breakfast food is just the best. There’s something too about being up in the morning and listening to music while you make it and sip on some coffee.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

pancake the ryu

thank you honeycomb for the pancake doodle and hearts for the sleepy pumpkin!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pillowfighter For This Useful Post:

hearts (09-18-2022),♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Yes, I do! I think they're all moreso attached to nostalgia because I used to stay with my grandma a lot while my mom worked (all the time it seemed) as a nurse in a nursing home. So my grandma's house was like home. I'd get dropped off there from the school bus, play outside with her cats, do homework, then watch Jeopardy, Dragon Tales, or Arthur and eat whatever my grandma cooked which was almost always one of those 3 things. 🥺 She'll be 89 on Halloween and can't cook anymore so it makes the taste all the more nostalgic.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hearts For This Useful Post:

♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022)

Pronouns
    he/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    1d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    When I stopped being a sad bachelor and learned that spices are important. 😂 I wasn't a stranger to home made fries but this was the first time I added some flavour to it and it tasted like the best thing ever. My partner has since shown me the error of my ways and I am rectifying my terrible cooking practices.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ender For This Useful Post:

♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    32d 16h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    I can remember 3 dishes I loved:

1st: a shrimp soup. I dunno what it had besides shrimp and other moluscs, and it was japanese. But omg, even when I love soups in general, this one was fucking delicious.
    2nd: korean beef baos. Their softness made me love 'em. It's like eating clouds, but with a lot of flavor. I think the ones I ate were filled with beef, bean srpouts, purple onion and mushroms.
    3rd: grilled trout with carrot salad. As simple as it sounds, the carrot were harvested almost the same day i ate them. I never tasted such a delicious carrots in my life, and trout was a regional fish so I believe everything were very very fresh.

It makes me think I'd love to buy TRUE fresh/organic veggies but it's hard to find, expensive and they don't last a long time in the fridge ;u;

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old but gold For This Useful Post:

♥ Juna ♥ (09-18-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    37d 17h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Why do pretzel breaded chicken tenders, kinda sound smack though? I love pretzel anything. I moved from the US to Canada recently, and there isn't Cheesecake Factory here!! Did you ever try them?
    Ooof, there's so many wonderful things I have eaten, I am such a foodie and always wanting to try new things! My mom rarely cooked and when she did it was nothing spectacular unfortunately, because she is a very picky eater.... so..

1. Hot Pot. When me and my boyfriend started dating we went to South Korea for a month and we went to this ayce hot pot place, and it sparked something inside us, because now we go to hot pot all the time! There is quite a few franchises where we live so we made it a mission of trying them all to see which is best (where we live). The best we ever had was in Flushing, NY though.

2. Marinated Butter Beef. Honestly its my #1 but hot pot has a good memory behind it. It may look scary, since the outside is raw but trust me, literally heaven in your mouth.

3.Chocolate & Mochi Xiao Long Bao from Din Tai Fung or Egg Custard Buns from this specific Dim Sum place near me. It's a tie, I can't choose.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Fair warning kind of a sad answer:

When I was a kid my family fought constantly, especially my parents. It was a very toxic and abusive household and I came away from it with no small amount of trauma. When I was around 11 or 12 we were somehow able to afford a vacation to Hawaii. On this miracle Hawaiian vacation there was no fighting. I can't think of a single other time in my childhood that everyone was just happy and got along. One night we made a Costco Chinese Chicken Salad in the time share we were staying in and I remember sitting outside eating it and watching the ocean in the distance and just feeling the peace of that moment in an otherwise chaotic family. The salad itself is super tasty and refreshing but I think my love for it stems from that moment of peace in a beautiful location.
    (you need an account to see links)

Thank you @Orbit for the Jackalope Ryu