Thread: Tell me about your ways to combat burnout and depression!

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 17h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 10m

Tell me about your ways to combat burnout and depression!

So it's something I've talked extensively about with my therapist, and I've been on meds for depression for years which has helped tremendously. But I cannot stop the cycles of depressive episodes that come, and I KNOW they are coming.

They are always related to stress and what's happening in my life. Right now, my plate is full, and I can name three major priorities I have on a regular basis that don't include work (32 hr/week) or house chores. I have a massive admissions exam coming up but I'm going down that slope where I feel SO stressed about everything that I can't make myself study/focus on it because of other stuff plus just general burnout. My usual strategies for focusing aren't successful in this mental state.

I know the professional opinion, but I'd love to hear everyone's take on how you manage burnout and burnout-associated depression and anxiety.

Would love if having no time to relax could be a factor in your answer but for real I'd love to hear everyone's personal experiences and opinions!

thank you Lyrichord for the amazing avatar!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goodnightmoon For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (09-04-2022),hearts (09-04-2022),j03 (09-04-2022),kittyray (09-04-2022),mauvet (09-04-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (09-04-2022),Zenitsu (09-04-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I follow this list of activities that sort of are geared towards the way I am feeling in the current moment when I'm burned out:

Overthinking --> journal
    Anxious --> meditate/breathing exercises
    Tired --> go to bed early (consistently, and add 1-2 hrs of sleep to routine) or power nap
    Sad --> exercise (generally cardio)
    Stressed --> go for a walk! ((you need an account to see links) are literally my favourite thing ever)
    Angry --> listen to music
    Lazy/unmotivated --> reduce screentime (unless its obviously stemming from general burnout, then i try to do 1-2 days "off" with no screentime to just reset my motivation)

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oventoast For This Useful Post:

goodnightmoon (09-04-2022),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (09-04-2022),hearts (09-04-2022),♥ Juna ♥ (09-04-2022),mauvet (09-04-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (09-04-2022),♥ Rokon ♥ (09-08-2022),Zenitsu (09-04-2022)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 4h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Some days are pretty tough. I feel like everyone with the average agenda can be prone to going through phases of struggle, to find motivation to do anything. If you're in a slump, it can be tough to convince yourself to take action and push forward, to do whatever it is that might help. Personally, I end up hearing a "just do it" in my head, something along those lines...

A solid hour of exercise to get your heart rate up with good consistent breathing can work wonders. But the key is to not just do this once or twice in your week. This should be routine... try and find an hour from your day to get up and moving.

If you want to work on yourself, the gym is a fantastic place to knockdown multiple goals (improving mental health, building motivation to do tasks, getting healthier, changing physical appearance to your liking, etc.) that come up in your life. I try to make an agenda of exercises I can do every time I go. After some weight lifting and a quick burnout jog, leaving the gym feels amazing. I won't feel any kind of a "burnout" for another day. Rewards in my day are amplified.

Depending on if you like to exercise with music, this can be a game changer. Music is my personal caffiene... it amps me up and helps me get through my workouts. I feel like I can lift and run more, confidently with some upbeat tunes on.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-16-2022),goodnightmoon (09-04-2022),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (09-04-2022),mauvet (09-04-2022),Zenitsu (09-04-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 17h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 10m

Smile

@(you need an account to see links) - this is such a good and comprehensive yet concise list. I do take walks but I will DEFINITELY be incorporating the hgw method. I'm going to listen closer to myself and try to implement some of these.

@(you need an account to see links) yes! I find exercise really helpful too. Right now I go to orangetheory twice a week - I find I'm able to turn my brain off and listen to the music. You're right about a routine though.... I'd love to go more often but it's not convenient to my house or work so I can only go on days I don't have to go /in/ to work. Will be making a better effort to putting my home gym to better use on those off days, and blasting the hype music.

Loved hearing both of your insights. Thank you! Sometimes I set so many lofty goals and get tunnel vision for them, that my brain is eventually like "hey wait hold the fuck on" and forces me to slow down/turn off, but I like your methods to address it prophylactically and maybe better handle it.

thank you Lyrichord for the amazing avatar!

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    426 times
    Time Online
    121d 12h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 2m
    I have never had a proper depression but I do have depressive traits that sometimes get worse and I lose the rhythm of life a bit. There are times when I've been so burned out that even what I love to do so much loses meaning. And when that happens, it comforts me to do something with someone. It doesn't necessarily have to be my friend, but someone with whom I can at least be an accomplice, who returns my greeting when I sit next to him.

The good side of these things being cyclical is that it's something I can anticipate and prepare for: whether it's at the gym, at work, or in class, I'm always looking for someone to match up with, because when bad times come, that goes to prevent me from abandoning my classes, to keep exercising, to keep working well because I know I'm not alone. Because I know there is someone there who knows me...even so I manage to extend the good periods and reduce the bad ones, because it is less stressful to study with someone, to work with someone even if we are completely focused on different things.

I think it all comes down to knowing myself and preparing for what I know is going to happen. In my case I try to avoid isolating myself. Preventing and creating friendly spaces for when one is vulnerable is essential. I am always grateful to my past self who leaves all things ready for me.

Pixie♥ ~
    Hatched 11/13/2020
    Chibi Grey Faerie by ♥ Wooloo ♥

Both Grey Pixel Pixie by the Honeycomb

my ubs by Lyrichord

Ryupocalypse 07-15-2021
    Grey love faerie by Houndoom