40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m

Spooky Books

With Neil Gaiman getting brought up in the movie/tv thread, figured I'd make one here as well?

What are y'all's favorite creepy books? I was looking through some lists the other day and realize there are a bunch I want to read.

Off the top of my head, House Of Leaves is a standout of things I have read. That book is an experience, especially the full-color version.

I also really enjoyed Plain Bad Heroines. I'm not sure if it's really horror, but definitely spooky/gothic vibes.

Okay, y'all's turn!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Anybody (09-02-2022),Da Plushee Boree (09-02-2022),mauvet (09-04-2022)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    26d 17h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    As soon as I saw “spooky books” I thought to myself “oou a chance to talk about Neil Gaiman books!” (Not having seen the discussion in the movie thread or watched Sandman) I guess that’s moot now, but seeing as I don’t read many spooky books I’ll still recommend Neil’s Neverwhere and Ocean at the End of the Lane, as two that I love to re-read.

(you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links)

Plain Bad Heroines looks awesome, thank you for the rec!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anybody For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-02-2022),mauvet (09-04-2022)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    OMG i need to own a copy of House of Leaves, the inner pages look so good

I think i posted some George R.R. Martin's short stories there, i'm ultra fan of short stories.... I read the Portraits of his Children anthology that contains Portrait of his Children, Closing Time, The Runners, Remembering Melody (gold!), Under Siege, The Ice Dragon (the only one meh of the whole book), The Lonely Songs of Loren Dorr, In The Lost Lands (amazing!) and A Night at the Tarn House.

Now i'm starting A Song for Lya that contains A Song for Lya, With Morning comes Mistfall, The Second Kind of Loneliness, Dark Dark were the Tunels, The Hero, Slide Show, ... For a Single Yesterday, And Seven Times Never Kill a Man, and Nor the Many-Colored Fires of a Star Ring, this dude has crazy ideas!

I think after this i'm gonna rest reading classical Poe, i got an amazing full stories edition on my bday i want to read!

Now that i read, i think that i have Neverwhere, i should try it!
    Last edited by Da Plushee Boree; 09-02-2022 at 10:53 AM.

León the Lion Ryu,
    the "Board Games hoarder"
    Born || 2020~11~15

(you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-02-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    Oh yeah love me some Neil Gaiman. If you're enjoying the Sandman show, I highly recommend the comic. The story doesn't really start getting good until arc three, in my opinion. The series goes through arc two.

For as much as I love horror movies I haven't really read a whole lot of horror books outside of Stephen King. Pet Sematary, The Stand, and The Mist being my offhand favorites of his.

They're not straight up horror, but two series I love with a lot of really solid horror elements are going to be the Hyperion Cantos and the Coldfire Trilogy by Dan Simmons and C.S. Friedman respectively.

Hyperion and its sequel, Fall of Hyperion, are scifi masterpieces. I'd say Hyperion is fully as much horror as it is scifi. The first book is stylized after the Canterbury Tales. A group of travelers are on their way to a make a final pilgrimage to a faraway planet called Hyperion on the eve of apocalypse, where a monster called the Shrike exists. Each traveler has their own story on how they've brushed up against Hyperion and the Shrike in the past and why they're compelled to go on this journey now. Some of the stories are incredibly eerie and disturbing (looking at you, cruciform parasites and fucking everything about The Poet's Tale). Highly highly recommended if you like scifi or horror and especially if you like both.

my favorite trilogy of books ever, the Coldfire Trilogy. Genre-wise it's more fair to call it fantasy, but it's VERY dark and has a lot of teeth to it. The premise is long ago human settlers landed on a planet with a unique natural form of magic called the fae, that manifests humanity's dreams and fears into physical form. Bad things have started happening on the far side of the continent from where the story starts and the most reluctant, begrudging pair of allies ever goes off to investigate for their own very different reasons. The two main characters are a holy warrior priest and an undead vampiric sorcerer who loathe having to cooperate. Coldfire has some genuinely disturbing scenes with lots of very creative horror settings. Each book has its own standout points of just really fucked up, eerie places and events. Special shout out to the desert of the white trees in the second book. I love the book for its creativity and angst but it's the extremely complicated alliance between the two main characters that makes this trilogy one of my favorites, if you like unlikely friendship stories I cannot more highly recommend this one.

I love the Coldfire books so much that here is the state of my copy of the first one, literally read into pieces between my brother and I x) I also have framed prints of the three covers on my office wall.

OH GOD HOW COULD I FORGET UNSOUNDED

again, not straight horror in genre, and this time not even a book, it's a fantasy webcomic. But I'll just leave these panels here as a sampling of what Unsounded brings in spookiness. First panel is front-facing view of the monster, second panel is the side profile of the same creature. yeahhhhh

Last edited by Alister; 09-02-2022 at 12:13 PM.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (09-02-2022),kittyray (09-02-2022)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    @(you need an account to see links) used books are the best ♥!
    Both sagas you mentioned, i haven't read them, but wre added fast to my wishlist, both sound very immersive and horror sci-fi host the best scenes!

After mentioning King, have you read The Long Walk? Gosh, i love it, i still have nightmares about a very unique character there!
    I finally was able to get Dr. Sleep so i'm gonna read The Shining and the sequel this Halloween!

León the Lion Ryu,
    Born || 2020~11~15

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-02-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    God I loved The Long Walk! I don't think I knew what it was really about before starting reading it, and I liked it a lot more than King's other centered-around-a-small-shitty-town books heh.

For short stories, I'm always going to have a fond spot for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! The art and the stories spooked me so much as a kid and still as an adult.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (09-02-2022),kittyray (09-02-2022)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom View Post
    God I loved The Long Walk! I don't think I knew what it was really about before starting reading it, and I liked it a lot more than King's other centered-around-a-small-shitty-town books heh.

For short stories, I'm always going to have a fond spot for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! The art and the stories spooked me so much as a kid and still as an adult.
    Yayyy! I was full into IT and Buick 8 and Bag of Bones until i read The Long Walk, that book changes you!
    I need to read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! I remember watching a tv show about it but i was more into Goosebumps that are also based on books!

León the Lion Ryu,
    Born || 2020~11~15

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

Houndoom (09-02-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Plushee Boree View Post
    Yayyy! I was full into IT and Buick 8 and Bag of Bones until i read The Long Walk, that book changes you!
    I need to read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! I remember watching a tv show about it but i was more into Goosebumps that are also based on books!
    It really does! I currently have It on my kindle but it's a little hard for me to get past some of the parts where King just... shows a lot of townsfolk being the absolute worst people. I know that's sort of the point, but I encountered that in my last King book too (Salem's Lot) and it's starting to blend together haha.

I LOVED Goosebumps as a kid too! Part of me wants to go back and read a bunch of them now, but I feel like as an adult they might be a tad too silly haha. I haven't watched the tv show for Scary Stories, but I did watch the movie that more recently came out, which was... mostly ok but nothing super interesting.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    With Neil Gaiman getting brought up in the movie/tv thread, figured I'd make one here as well?

What are y'all's favorite creepy books? I was looking through some lists the other day and realize there are a bunch I want to read.

Off the top of my head, House Of Leaves is a standout of things I have read. That book is an experience, especially the full-color version.

I also really enjoyed Plain Bad Heroines. I'm not sure if it's really horror, but definitely spooky/gothic vibes.

Okay, y'all's turn!
    I honestly came here to rec House of Leaves lol. That book is so good but SO unsettling.

So I'm going to rec John Dies at the End:

There's a less than excellent movie of it too but as usual the book was better. There's also a couple sequels and a new one out this Fall!

Thank you @Orbit for the Jackalope Ryu

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    How did I miss this thread?!?!

One of my favourite creepy/spooky books that I have read recently is Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill

This novel was a wild ride from start to finish. From GoodReads:

I highly, HIGHLY recommend it!

edit: I have somehow only now discovered that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. Well, go figure!
    Last edited by Cinnamoroll; 09-16-2022 at 05:18 PM.

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)