Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    That's exactly how I feel too! I was a young child when generation 1 was a thing and when I was really into it, and after generation 2 I kinda fell off with all the games. Mostly because none of my real life friends cared about it anymore and I wasn't an Internet user until my teens.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by hearts View Post
    That's exactly how I feel too! I was a young child when generation 1 was a thing and when I was really into it, and after generation 2 I kinda fell off with all the games. Mostly because none of my real life friends cared about it anymore and I wasn't an Internet user until my teens.
    For me it was that I didn't really have the later consoles to play the games. I had a gameboy color and I very briefly had a Gameboy Advance SP, but I just didn't have a way to play the games until I was in my twenties and realized "oh, right, I'm an adult and can buy myself expensive toys". For whatever reason I didn't want to use an emulator for games I'd never played before. I still haven't actually gone back and played them all, I started to, but it felt like a lot of work, lmao.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

hearts (08-29-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    For me it was that I didn't really have the later consoles to play the games. I had a gameboy color and I very briefly had a Gameboy Advance SP, but I just didn't have a way to play the games until I was in my twenties and realized "oh, right, I'm an adult and can buy myself expensive toys". For whatever reason I didn't want to use an emulator for games I'd never played before. I still haven't actually gone back and played them all, I started to, but it felt like a lot of work, lmao.
    I have low motivation to play older games either. For me, I like to start games, shows, or movies when they're new and popular so I can converse with people about it and work things out together. The community is part of the fun for me!

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hearts For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-29-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by hearts View Post
    I have low motivation to play older games either. For me, I like to start games, shows, or movies when they're new and popular so I can converse with people about it and work things out together. The community is part of the fun for me!

Community is a big part of things like that. It's part of why I like the weekly release model for TV shows still, even if they're streaming-exclusive, because it's so fun to discuss and theorize and all that!

Also this is getting way off topic to the original thread, but also sort of relevant? Like obviously community was exactly what made PoGo so wonderful!

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

hearts (08-29-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    When pokemon go first launched that year I was in Tokyo. My phone was wifi only at the time so I could only play from my hostel, but when I say EVERYONE in public was walking around playing pokemon go...EVERY. Single. Person I saw from the school kid on the train to the granny in the park was playing that game. It was somewhat creepy bc everyone was walking around with their heads down looking at their phone. But it was also so cool to see something that was sweeping the whole city like that. What a time to be alive!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howdy For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-29-2022),Zenitsu (08-31-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Definitely because that's the whole reason it was such a treasure in time! I loooove the weekly release of shows too! 1. It gives me something to look forward to and 2. Reading theories and discussing with other people on Reddit hehe (or here now that I'm finding some people interested in some of the same things as me!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mae17b View Post
    When pokemon go first launched that year I was in Tokyo. My phone was wifi only at the time so I could only play from my hostel, but when I say EVERYONE in public was walking around playing pokemon go...EVERY. Single. Person I saw from the school kid on the train to the granny in the park was playing that game. It was somewhat creepy bc everyone was walking around with their heads down looking at their phone. But it was also so cool to see something that was sweeping the whole city like that. What a time to be alive!
    Omg, I bet that was a sight to see! I love that even the older people were having fun with it. What else can you think of that brings together 3-4 generations of people?

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I miss 2016 Pokémon Go. My adoptive parents were extremely controlling but in summer of 2016 I was 19 and hit the road, and was therefore free to use the internet without sneaking around for the first time in years. I was sheltered, just the way it was. I've also been a lifelong Pokémon fanatic.

I was in Saint Louis at the time and remembered being able to REALLY connect with the world for the first time. I'd walk just about anywhere and run into groups of people my age. No worries if you were shy, they'd see your phone and charging block and call you over. Local shops had Pokémon Center signs in front of them, and people driving by would shout their teams out the window.

Gyms, man. Gyms were beautiful. You had to hide in real life if you wanted to take a gym because the current leaders stayed nearby. The Eeveelutions were OP and you could hear screaming when someone found a wild Snorlax or Magmar.

My parents didn't understand Pokémon when I was growing up, and even they got into it and still play it today. It was the best summer of my life and it's a shame we lost so much of what made it special.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raposa For This Useful Post:

hearts (08-29-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    13d 15h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Local shops had Pokémon Center signs in front of them, and people driving by would shout their teams out the window.
    Thisssssssssss too! I remember shops downtown in the bigger town next to me putting signs out about their shop being a Pokestop. I never figured out what determined what made a place a gym or Pokestop but either way, even my small town had little insignificant monuments that were considered gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    You had to hide in real life if you wanted to take a gym because the current leaders stayed nearby.
    I had a few places I claimed as my own. I'd be so "mad" if I'd ride by one of my gyms the next day and see that it had been taken over. Playfully mad. I loved it. xD

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  • 

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hearts For This Useful Post:

Raposa (08-29-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    So I tried to see if I could find any pictures from that Summer and a lot are on an external drive somewhere, but I did find this one from July 2016 and I just remember so much of the city being like this.

And like...I realize this is very typical for any summer night in a park in new york, but seriously basically all of us were playing PoGo. I remember a crowd of people moving a congregation because some teenager was shouting about a scyther and the realization that we wouldn't all have the same stats. I remember people renting portable battery packs. How rapidly gyms changed hands! So many things!

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

goodnightmoon (08-29-2022),hearts (08-29-2022),Raposa (08-29-2022),Zenitsu (08-29-2022)

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Weirdly enough I had an experience that brought that feeling back a few years ago. My boyfriend and I started noticing a group of people coming into town in the middle of the night and taking every gym in town including mine. So I got pissed and started going in behind them (no car!) and taking them back an hour or so after they left. I'd leave them all empty to give everyone a chance.

Well, at one point they caught us. They started waiting themselves, following the chain of gyms until we wound up having to hide in a public bathroom so they didn't find us!

Technically, that was supposed to to be terrifying but we had a blast.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Raposa For This Useful Post:

hearts (08-29-2022)