Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    53d 3h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m

Do you bullet journal? :)

Hi, if this thread best belongs in a section like writing please move

I was wondering if anyone here bullet journals, and would love to hear your methods of keeping up on the routine if so. I have ADHD and routines are very hard for me, rarely can I fit a routine in to my brain that sticks.

For those who have not seen, I collage journal for fun; I love creative outlets. While bullet journaling does have a semi-strict pattern following aspect, I do see an appeal in the creative area as well - I understand bullet journals are personal, thus do not technically have rules, but also feel as though there are generally certain ideas in mind when creating entries in bullet journals. That is where I fall flat, as I am not sure I am disciplined enough to keep returning to a bullet journal, whereas with a collage journal allows me to pick it up when I am in the mood. I would really like to use bullet journaling to help me hone in on areas of my life where I need focus, like cleaning, job applications, food, and other responsibilities.

I would love to hear your methods and what you personally log even if you do not have recommendations for someone who is disorganized, not generally routine oriented, or has ADHD like me, I would love to hear your input or see pages you choose to share. Please consider this a discussion thread rather than a Q&A as I believe any input would be amazing for myself and anyone else who is interested but not sure where to find their own bullet journal schedule niche

userbar by lyrichord and drawings by wooloo, hollow, honeycomb, & sugarbee, respectively
    thank you all!
    happy happy SUMMER

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Aero (09-21-2022),Anybody (09-10-2022),Fiore (09-22-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    I've tried bullet journaling on and off but I don't think it's for me! I am very disorganized and forgetful, and over time I think I've found other tools better for me than what bullet journals are meant for, though I do really enjoy seeing other people's spreads! With habit forming I find I'm better at it if I have some sort of app that has built in reminders (like fitness apps that are like hey where are you, or todo list makers), and for actual journaling I think I prefer just keeping a word doc over handwriting cause 1. my handwriting sucks and 2. I'm so much faster at typing. For different lists that I'd make I've found other/better apps for them too, with letterboxd for movie lists to watch, goodreads for books, and clue for period tracking c:

I think I found bullet journals to be too much... pressure? I would fall into the trap where I felt like I had to make it perfect and pretty, instead of just using it to keep track of things. I wanna say my longest stint at actually using one was maybe about a month? But then I went on a trip and forgot to pack the bullet journal and as soon as that habit was broken I fully forgot about it again heh. I will say during that one month I was much better about doing things I prefer to not think about, like cleaning my house and watering the plants though heh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

Anybody (09-10-2022),Ghast (08-29-2022)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    26d 17h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I’m curious to hear more peoples thoughts on this! I too am adhd and have learned after years of struggling that I’m just not built for routine. I do love to journal and make lists and art when I’m in the space to do it, and have always been interested by bullet journals! The amount of unfinished journals I’ve had in my lifetime though XD it’s laughable. Love buying journals, can’t/hate finishing them.

huge thanks to Lyrichord & Great White North & Hearts
    for THE INCREDIBLE ub, ryu, and clraik-o-lantern!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anybody For This Useful Post:

Fiore (09-22-2022),Ghast (09-22-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    WAIT this is my thread (sort of). I was going to make one on Hobonichis/planners... maybe I still will if there's interest... I don't bullet journal but I am 100% into my planners. I use a weekly one for a to do list, shopping list, and to see events/meetings that are one offs. I use a daily one for art, journalling, or weekly notes overflow, etc. I'm not sure if this will keep working for me in 2023 but I'm going to try :eyes:

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Fiore (09-22-2022),Ghast (09-22-2022),Houndoom (09-22-2022)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I keep like a few kinds of "journals". I'll go through what each is for!

-First is more of a bullet type journal. Just has random, simple little drawings accompanied by "musings" or haikus that I can think of. I'm not fancy or anything but I like to write. Since it has grid paper I like doing little pixel art with my color pencils, so it's mostly that. I don't bother putting dates on any entries but I switch up the colors to separate writings. I got it at Staples for $12 and it's a medium size, so it fits in my laptop bag. Probably my favorite notebook because I cart it around anywhere I go. I have no issue with people looking over my shoulder when I'm jotting anything down as it doesn't really contain anything personal or identifying. It's full of post-it notes and flags because I'm a dweeb.

-Black paper notebook that I use these thick color gel pens that are meant for writing on dark paper. Contains little fun drawings but it's more writing and brainstorming art projects. I also list favorite brands and supplies for stuff I want to look for. Sometimes recipes. There's something about seeing bright, glittery neon colors pop out on black paper. Making writing fun actually inspires you to do it more often!

-An Arc/Tul discbound notebook and probably my favorite. Contains more personal, polished writings. No drawings. No fun stuff. I really like the discbound system because it has a bunch of add-ons and you can customize it. So I added little plastic zipper bags to keep little mementos I've collected. If you need more paper you can add it in and if you need more space for that paper you buy larger discs. I've always battled with dyslexia and invasion of my privacy so I was always scared of picking up a pen and writing ANYTHING down. A lot of what I write here is personal and cryptic because if anybody finds it and goes through it they won't really understand what it's about. Dunno if that makes any sense but I have a fear of writing how I truly feel and getting too personal because it's caused issues in the past. I also have prints of some digital art I've done in sleeves here. I keep this one hidden away.

I don't have a writing routine. I don't write dates or schedules because I hate thinking "boy I haven't written anything since [insert date here]!" My books are there for me when I feel the need to write anything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

Ghast (09-22-2022),Houndoom (09-22-2022)