Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDIs - your thoughts? Is it being pushed too hard or is it the right amount?

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m

Question EDIs - your thoughts? Is it being pushed too hard or is it the right amount?

Alight so here is a topic of debate and discussion that is always on the go at our home. For those that are not sure what EDI stands for it stands for Ethnicity, Diversity and Inclusion. As per the (you need an account to see links):

"Equity involves creating equal opportunity for all and eliminating barriers like discrimination and bias. Diversity recognizes and celebrates differences, including individual, social, cultural and political differences. Inclusion represents the meaningful action that connects the concepts of equity and diversity."

Now I do want to clarify that I am all for equal representation and inclusion of minorities, this is NOT a thread that is against it. This thread is to discuss what is going on currently in reference to EDIs and if you feel like is it too much, not enough, or even it can cause some job safety issues (Will discuss this later). Also given the clraik community is so wide and diverse there will be different levels of how the EDI wave is being implemented based on your country. It would be interesting to see some different geographical views as well. So I will touch on two areas that are of hot topic in our home. EDIs in the workplace and as well now in the media. mainly movies/TV shows.

EDIs in the Workplace

Spoilering this at I am referencing some IRL aspects.

So here are my discussion points from this:

• Should someone get a job based on if they meet the job demands alone?
    • Should someone who is part of a minority (race, gender sex) who does not meet the full job demands/requirements get a job over someone who does meet with job demands, just because of EDI policy?
    • Should job requirements be modified to enable more female applicants are hired when it comes to physical demands of an occupation? Should someone be excluded from applying for a job if they are not a minority?

Also feel free to bring up your own discussion points on this.

EDIs in the Media

Alright so here is another topic of discussion in our home. I am all for a strong female role as well as having more LGBTQ2s+ and minorities represented in the media. We do need more of it so EVERYONE can have role models and someone who represents them to look up to. I am loving that the Marvel and DC female superheroes have their own title movies and that Black Panther was produced and now will have a female playing Black Panther (even though this is in the Marvel Storyline) it is something that would not have been put in the media even 10 years ago. Likely what would have happened was they would have re-cast the role of Black Panther with another male lead. Even having Sam Wilson (The Falcon) take up the Captain America shield is progressive and well overdue.

What come to discussion in our home is when EDIs are "pushed" a bit more. For example, when a female role performs an action in a scene that clearly could not be completed by that actor/character and could be completed by a male counterpart. Does this come across as emasculating the male roles? Now personally when I am sitting down to watch a show or movie I generally have an idea what I am getting into. For example if I am watching Bridgerton I am know I am watching a Shonda Rhimes show which is full of promoting EDIs and the EDI message. So having the Queen being a strong black female is right up her ally and I watch the show for just entertainment value and not comparing it to historical fact. However, if it was a historical fact based show I may have more opposition. I feel like we should still represent history accurately as we still have lots to learn from it. Especially the bad parts of our history. It should not be something that is ignored.

So here are my discussion points from this:

• Is the current EDI culture in the media representing minorities appropriately? Should there be more or is it becoming too much where is is being overly pushed?
    • Could the EDI movement start to emasculate males in the media and entertainment industry?
    • What would you like to see more of?
    • What would you like to see less of?

Also feel free to bring up your own discussion points on this.

WARNING: This can be a touchy subject, please stay on topic, do not spam and most of all be kind! If there are any themes of racism, bigotry etc. that go against the community rules this thread will be killed ASAP.

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    404 times
    Time Online
    83d 7h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 9m
    Well this is a wide topic indeed. So i'm gonna start with the work part. In my actual job I know it was also implemented the diversity policy, though to be fair there's so many ppl it's impossible to know them all so I'm not sure how is that going out.

Anyway I absolutely vouch for getting someone that meets the job requirements whatever their likes or origin. Why? Some roles in job are very important and by having someone that cannot fulfill the tasks, they very probably will generate problems that others would need to fix and also this creates this problematic vision of "I have more time here, more experience, but someone who doesn't know how to handle this got a better position??" This is discouraging for the qualified ppl that didn't get the job and the ones that are actually working there.

About the women stuff, I'm one myself and I work in a place that requires physical stuff mixed with office. I believe that if there is a way to balance that should be no problem, but I don't agree in increasing hiring women if they're gonna be put through some job that's gonna affect their health in a harsh manner (unless they have the physical strength).

What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer to get a qualified employee (everything else besides skills should not biased this) and for the minorities to get all chances needed as long as it won't compromise their well being and they're able to do the tasks given.

About the media, while I like more just seeing and enjoying, I do agree sometimes is being forced. But yes we need more of this content, maybe not rushed, because most in my country are still with the idea that that's ok when talking to strangers they don't know but it's wrong when imposing to them or their family.

Women doing men roles in movies? Sure if possible why not? Just as always choose someone who can do it otherwise you'll get another whatever underrated movie. I like seeing this progress advance, with good performance and development, not just something throw in a box carelessly and pray it's gonna be awesome.

Uff, ok I'm gonna stop here. Wide topic, but would love to read other opinions too

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Charmander (08-20-2022)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    @(you need an account to see links) Skies thanks for the input. I do agree with your movie part as well. If the role and person portraying the role can realistically do something then yes have them complete the roll then heck yah do it. However, having a 115lb petite non super hero character taking down a 280lb opponent I becomes a bit of a stretch for me. I feel like when movies/TV shows throw in scenes like these is almost does an injustice to the EDI movement and can do more harm than good. You start setting unrealistic expectations and also to be considered a strong woman you need to do all of these masculine things. Like She Hulk coming out is gonna grind my gears that I likely won't watch it. We can have strong leading female roles without having them be masculine or even showing they "can do more than a man." I feel like if this gets pushed too much and thrown into movies just to be on brand with the current EDI culture then we will eventually lose the true meaning behind equality diversity and inclusion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (08-20-2022)

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    For example, when a female role performs an action in a scene that clearly could not be completed by that actor/character and could be completed by a male counterpart.[/CENTER]
    I'm kind of curious about examples of this, can you share some if possible?

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapdos View Post
    I'm kind of curious about examples of this, can you share some if possible?
    I can't remember which movie/show it was but there was a scene where there was a large heavy object to move/break and there was as strong male action character and the female character was physically smaller and the storyline took the female character as the one to move the object. It seemed like a large stretch for sure. As I watch some more things I'll be sure to keep tract and bring some more examples here to discuss.

PS I am loving your Baked UB! Holy smokes it's amazing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (09-11-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    10d 6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    i definitely think diversity in media is an important thing. i'm all for it. my daughter is black/white mixed with crazy curly hair and every time she sees a character that looks like her (ada twist scientist, gabby's dollhouse, etc.) she gets SO excited. every kid/person should have that feeling. however sometimes i think things are just forced like for example in umbrella academy when vanya transitioned to viktor. i'm not against trans people in media at all, i just feel like the way they handled it was so forced and just for like "woke points" and not genuine at all. i feel like better examples are euphoria and oitnb. as for jobs, i think people should get them based on their capabilities. applications should be open to absolutely everyone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shazi For This Useful Post:

Charmander (08-23-2022)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Thanks for sharing @(you need an account to see links)! I'm so happy that your daughter has someone relatable in the things she watches. That should be what EDI is all about. But I do agree that some shows handle it better than other. The feeling of it being forced and don't for no other reason than to be current and as you said "woke" defeats the purpose and does an injustice to the movement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

♥ Shazi ♥ (08-23-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazi View Post
    however sometimes i think things are just forced like for example in umbrella academy when vanya transitioned to viktor. i'm not against trans people in media at all, i just feel like the way they handled it was so forced and just for like "woke points" and not genuine at all. i feel like better examples are euphoria and oitnb. as for jobs, i think people should get them based on their capabilities. applications should be open to absolutely everyone.
    I haven't seen the show so I can't speak to the writing at all, but Elliot Page was cast as Vanya before he came out. when he transitioned his character also transitioned because having him continue to play a woman would be a) unconvincing and 2) shitty. it wasn't "woke points", it was genuine inclusion of that specific actor.

I have a lot of thoughts on EDI in general that I'll come back and add when I have more time, but overall imo it's not nearly enough (not just like volume-wise, but in terms of ongoing policy and advocacy for the minorities involved)

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Charmander (09-02-2022),kittyray (09-02-2022),♥ Shazi ♥ (09-03-2022)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I haven't seen the show so I can't speak to the writing at all, but Elliot Page was cast as Vanya before he came out. when he transitioned his character also transitioned because having him continue to play a woman would be a) unconvincing and 2) shitty. it wasn't "woke points", it was genuine inclusion of that specific actor.

I have a lot of thoughts on EDI in general that I'll come back and add when I have more time, but overall imo it's not nearly enough (not just like volume-wise, but in terms of ongoing policy and advocacy for the minorities involved)
    I feel like this is a great example of EDIs being done correctly! You have an actor who's role has been adjusted to continue to fit the actor and their persona as well as what they represent! Thumbs up 👍 to the writers of Umbrella Academey for making that decision!

I can't wait yo see what else you have to share @(you need an account to see links) 😀

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Druid (09-02-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    I can't wait yo see what else you have to share @(you need an account to see links) 😀
    be careful what you wish for lmao, I started this and blinked and it's been 2 hours oops. OKAY here we go

I'm vehemently pro-diversity. I also think EDIs are far from a perfect system, but for reasons that haven't been touched on in here. I'll get to that, but to start off based on the OP...

this response got LONG so I'll keep my own new note quick: there's all this talk of how much diversity in media is too much, when like... reality is diverse. it's actively unrealistic to keep hollywood as cis, straight, white, able, etc as it's always been. characters being LGBTQ+ or racial minorities when it isn't relevant to the plot isn't pandering or forcing anything - frankly what IS doing those things is making every character white and cishet by default. stories about minority group issues (coming out, homophobia & transphobia, racial injustice and prejudice, women's lib, the struggle of being disabled or raising a disabled child, etc etc etc) are of course important, but more important is letting people like that in on the fun stuff. i don't want to have to choose between my Genre Of Choice or seeing someone like me, and neither does anyone else! and looping back to the employment side, the only reason this hasn't been happening from the beginning is that the people making media have been so homogeneously non-minority that it never occurred to them.
    Last edited by Druid; 09-03-2022 at 03:17 AM. Reason: added spoiler because I opened it on mobile and jfc

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Charmander (09-03-2022),kittyray (09-03-2022),♥ Shazi ♥ (09-03-2022),TsUNaMy WaVe (03-14-2023),Wreathy (05-05-2023),Zapdos (09-11-2022)