28/0
    Mentioned
    158 times
    Time Online
    26d 16h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Supreme Court Overturns Several Controversial Topics

FIrstly, this is a debate thread and please be kind and courteous with citing of facts and opinions. We all want to be respectful regardless of which party you are or if you are in agreeance or non-agreeance.

Now off to the topics at hand. (I did study Constitutional Law in University and was Pre-Law)

1) Supreme Court guts Affirmative Action in College Admissions
    This is a landmark case that was set up several years ago in order to give people of color an opportunity to be considered for universities and universities had to accept a certain amount of people of color and consideration in admissions.

The Supreme Court says that colleges and universities can no longer take race into consideration as specific basis for granting admission, a landmark decision overturning long-standing precedent that has benefited Black and Latino students in higher education.

Chief John Roberts wrote:
    “The Harvard and UNC admissions programs cannot be reconciled with the guarantees of the Equal Protection Clause. Both programs lack sufficiently focused and measurable objectives warranting the use of race, unavoidably employ race in a negative manner, involve racial stereotyping, and lack meaningful end points. We have never permitted admissions programs to work in that way, and we will not do so today,” Roberts
    Source: (you need an account to see links)

The court basically said that race should not be a factor for consideration in admissions and that that does not stop applicants from stating how race has affected the applicant's life and can still be part of the application.

I did however appreciate the dissent from Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson that dissented:
    “With let-them-eat-cake obliviousness, today, the majority pulls the ripcord and announces ‘colorblindness for all’ by legal fiat,” she wrote. “But deeming race irrelevant in law does not make it so in life. And having so detached itself from this country’s actual past and present experiences, the Court has now been lured into interfering with the crucial work that UNC and other institutions of higher learning are doing to solve America’s real-world problems.”

Many people have been outspoken and come forward such as Michelle Obama who stated that if it wasn't for affirmative action, she would not have in fact been where she is today.

2) Supreme Court says Christian Business Owners can refuse to create same-sex marriage websites.
    The Supreme Court ruled Friday for a Christian web designer in Colorado who refuses to create website to celebrate same-sex weddings out of religious objections.

In dissent, Sotomayor said the decision will undermine the government’s compelling interest in ensuring that all Americans have equal access to the public marketplace.

“Today, the Court, for the first time in its history, grants a business open to the public a constitutional right to refuse to serve members of a protected class,” she wrote.

“Specifically, the Court holds that the First Amendment exempts a website design company from a state law that prohibits the company from denying wedding websites to same-sex couples if the company chooses to sell those websites to the public.”

She called this a “sad day in American constitutional law and the lives of LGBT people.”

“By issuing this new license to discriminate in a case brought by a company that seeks to deny same-sex couples the full and equal enjoyment of its services, the immediate, symbolic effect of the decision is to mark gays and lesbians for second-class status.”

This could in turn cause discrimination for LGBTQ+ communities or open up a reversal for gay marriage if a lawsuit were to arise.

3) Supreme Court blocks Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness Program
    The Supreme Court blocked the Biden administration’s student loan forgiveness plan on Friday, invalidating a program aimed at delivering up to $20,000 of relief to millions of borrowers struggling with outstanding debt in the aftermath of Covid.

“The Secretary’s comprehensive debt cancellation plan cannot fairly be called a waiver — it not only nullifies existing provisions, but augments and expands them dramatically,” Roberts wrote.

Essentially, the Court Justices can take fancy vacations/trips and receive donations from billionaires but when it comes to student debt, they turn a blind eye.

Biden had a company that was wiling to do the student debt relief and was held up in the Supreme Court. Biden now faces the challenges of whether or not he can sign an executive order regarding the HEROES Act which congress approved previously.

My Dissent:
    The Supreme Court has a responsibility to be impartial and to benefit its constituents at the highest level. The failure of not only the reversal of Roe v. Wade and Abortion rights and now Affirmative Action and Gay right's is backwards movement and sets back decades of civil rights.

To be upset is an understatement that the Supreme Court has become a political weapon to carry out certain agendas and NOT to benefit the American People. These Justices are not elected officials or justices and therefore should have some sort of liability when it comes to civil rights violations.

There are solutions to this conservative majority, however, Biden has stated he is against expanding the court. There are now 12 District Courts and there should technically be 12 justices. (1 for each).

If there is no action taken within the liberal party, the conservative party will come in and take over and possibly expand the court to overrule cases that will impact generations to come if actions are not met in 2024.

The Constitution says that the Church and State need to be separate. Justice Amy Coney Barrett contradicts this by saying she will bring religion into consideration on all her cases. To say this is a clusterfuck would be saying this very nicely.

Looking forward to everyone's opinions on these and including Roe v. Wade.
    Last edited by Delibird; 06-30-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Delibird's Showdown / Guides

Art by @Charmander

The Dynamic Duo:

Artwork by @Dankruse

[GUIDE] (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Delibird For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-30-2023),Charizard (07-02-2023),Cocobutter (06-30-2023),Crooked (06-30-2023),Excalibur (07-13-2023),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (07-01-2023),I_royalty_I (06-30-2023),Ice (06-30-2023),Mothman (06-30-2023),Teakwood (06-30-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I don't have a law degree or a well thought out way to put any of this, but these are devastating to hear.

Protected classes are protected for a reason. These decisions don't take into account anything other than the ideal societal conditions, not giving any respect to generational trauma, wealth, or inequality. To me, it's not about these decisions in a vacuum. This doesn't bode well as a precedent for anything that has been on the table today... as the saying goes, equity not equality is the goal.

My heart goes out to anyone else that is immediately affected.

(you need an account to see links)

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

Charizard (07-02-2023),Cocobutter (06-30-2023),Delibird (06-30-2023),Ice (06-30-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    158 times
    Time Online
    26d 16h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by mothmen View Post
    I don't have a law degree or a well thought out way to put any of this, but these are devastating to hear.

Protected classes are protected for a reason. These decisions don't take into account anything other than the ideal societal conditions, not giving any respect to generational trauma, wealth, or inequality. To me, it's not about these decisions in a vacuum. This doesn't bode well as a precedent for anything that has been on the table today... as the saying goes, equity not equality is the goal.

My heart goes out to anyone else that is immediately affected.

If fake can take out LGBT rights as did in this situation, then we should be very scared for precedent moving forward on issues that could be fabricated to overturn.

Delibird's Showdown / Guides

Art by @Charmander

The Dynamic Duo:

Artwork by @Dankruse

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delibird For This Useful Post:

Cocobutter (06-30-2023),Mothman (06-30-2023),Teakwood (06-30-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    13d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    I can't word anything as eloquently as Delibird did, but I am disappointed and outraged to hear this news. It does indeed set us back so far in terms of progress, and I'm really dreading the 2024 election. I typically find all politicians, regardless of party, to range from slimy to downright awful, but the fact that Republicans wish to take away people's rights is absolutely not okay with me. People should be very concerned about what this means for future generations. All I can hope is that the Democratic party will take steps to steer away from this dumpster fire somehow.

Is it just me, or does the conservative movement seem to be getting bigger and louder? I hate what this means for our country, for POC, disabled people, and LGBTQ+ youth and adults. The fact that middle-class and rich citizens would rather take the financial benefits from the Republican party than defend human rights is so disturbing.

.・✿ cherry blossom ✿・.
    ᴄᴜsᴛᴏᴍ ᴜsᴇʀʙᴀʀ ʙʏ (you need an account to see links)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cocobutter For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (06-30-2023),Delibird (06-30-2023),Ice (06-30-2023),Mothman (06-30-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    14d 23h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I just don't get how the case went to court and on and on without being dismissed as a result of technicality in the first place - the technicality being that the information stated is not correct? The court doesn't care to check if the statements are correct and the person mentioned is really involved? I really don't get it. How is that possible?

Regarding the rest, it's not easy to comment as somebody who doesn't live in the US, as the situation from outside may look different. I don't believe religion should have any relevance in public and social matters, but apparently it does, even in some countries here in Europe (and nothing good comes from it, in my opinion, e.g. the abortion ban in Poland).

I know that private universities charge huge fees in US but is it the case with state universities too?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

Cocobutter (06-30-2023),Delibird (06-30-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Man it's so scary how things have been lately for LGBT people in the United States.
    It's like this very vocal minority is so angry for whatever reason at the community that they're pushing hard for rollbacks on every right that has been conquered in the past years. And the people in power abide.

My heart goes out to the american LGBT community

there i was, with my butterfly net
    trying to catch your light

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seohyun For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by Delibird View Post
    If fake can take out LGBT rights as did in this situation, then we should be very scared for precedent moving forward on issues that could be fabricated to overturn.
    100% this. This is just the beginning of the end for the LGBTQIA+ community. Starting to take away our rights with the little things, eventually turns into them taking away a lot of things.

It's disgusting, and I am ashamed of this country and the justices who oversee important decisions such as this.

Thank you Hellraid <3

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I was going to post about this on the angry/petty thread but decided not to in order to cool down. Deep down I knew this was going to happen, and I have a history degree so I can pretty much tell the direction things will keep going in.

However, I think what I need to say is get whatever community together that you can in your area. We only have each other. It's been years of watching these politicians and I have absolutely NO confidence in ANY of them. But I do have confidence in my community, as they've been the ones that only truly help when I need it.

When the whole abortion thing in TX went down, I knew it would ultimately go to the SC, so I immediately made an appt to get my tubes removed. There is no way I could ever comfortably have a child for affordability reasons and the time to educate them about.....all of this. I will not give this govt another taxpayer. Since then, I've been helping and educating my local community on accessible reproduction options. I also don't tell people my sexuality unless they're close or I'm anonymous. I've never felt safe here regarding that. Please reach out to your local orgs, we need each other.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Cocobutter (06-30-2023),Ice (06-30-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    May be some unpopular opinions in here, but it’s the debate zone and I’m completely open to hearing everyone else’s viewpoints and seeing things from other perspectives.

Many people fail to realize that many schools have already done away with affirmative action. I have no issue with that particular ruling because I look at everybody as a person and believe we should be judged off of our merit and not the color of our skin. To think that people of any color can’t get into a school based off their own merit and accomplishments is backwards thinking. Some of the smartest people I have EVER worked with are of African, Indian, and Asian descent. Im talking insanely intelligent people. I don’t see this decision as a loss for the country, but rather something that is outdated and not necessary anymore. What we REALLY should be looking at is college admissions of athletes, legacy students, and big donators. They have a significant percentage higher chance of getting accepted than the average Joe. Pay to play kind of rules there that make acceptance numbers for everybody else seem impossible.

I support gay marriage, rights for everyone to love who they love, and have voted that way as long as I can remember. The particular decision for the business owner to have the right to not do a website for a gay couples wedding doesn’t seem like something the Supreme Court needs to be ruling on to me. Church and state are separate, but at the same time, people are assholes and if they don’t want to do it based off their own beliefs - fine. If somebody didn’t want to make me a website because of a certain view or opinion that I had.. then I’d just find somebody else to give my business to and say forget you. Unless I’m missing the deeper implications here, I just view the person who refused service as somebody who is living in the past and putting the prejudices at the forefront of their business. Again, completely open to other interpretations as I didn’t read this one as closely - but it sounds like the court was just upholding the business owners right to not do business with who they want, not taking away rights of the gay couple?

Lastly, I support striking down the student loan forgiveness. Originally I was on the fence, because of personal benefits I’d receive, but changed my mind. When I took out loans, I knew full well that I’d have to pay them back. There are many people out there with student loans, yes they suck, but you don’t get to change your mind and ask for a free pass just because they suck. The real issue I feel like we should be tackling here related to interest payments on student loans. THOSE in particular are insane and companies shouldn’t be making record profits exploiting loans taken out by students. While we are at it, why not examine tuition rates of schools now a days, they have risen at a significantly higher proportion than things like wages and other expense. While I’d like to have a chunk of my loans erased, I have plans in place in order to pay them off and get rid of them. I think bearing the responsibility of your actions and decisions is an important life lesson. Many high school seniors don’t have the forward thinking, I know I didn’t, on the full extent on how student loans can impact them. We should be educating our youth on these processes more because we usually only get one shot at it and are oftentimes going into these decisions underprepared. Many student loans haven’t needed to be paid for quite awhile due to COVID. I took that time to set money aside and use that time to have a cushion of sorts for when payments started up. Fiscal responsibility is a huge part in adulting, even though it’s an incredibly difficult part. So I think the decision was fair, but we need to take a look at other aspects of student loans.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

abaj (07-01-2023),Abyss (06-30-2023),Chilljoy (06-30-2023),Lilac Tentacles (06-30-2023),nousha (07-01-2023),Synth Salazzle (06-30-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    May be some unpopular opinions in here, but it’s the debate zone and I’m completely open to hearing everyone else’s viewpoints and seeing things from other perspectives.

Many people fail to realize that many schools have already done away with affirmative action. I have no issue with that particular ruling because I look at everybody as a person and believe we should be judged off of our merit and not the color of our skin. To think that people of any color can’t get into a school based off their own merit and accomplishments is backwards thinking. Some of the smartest people I have EVER worked with are of African, Indian, and Asian descent. Im talking insanely intelligent people. I don’t see this decision as a loss for the country, but rather something that is outdated and not necessary anymore. What we REALLY should be looking at is college admissions of athletes, legacy students, and big donators. They have a significant percentage higher chance of getting accepted than the average Joe. Pay to play kind of rules there that make acceptance numbers for everybody else seem impossible.

I support gay marriage, rights for everyone to love who they love, and have voted that way as long as I can remember. The particular decision for the business owner to have the right to not do a website for a gay couples wedding doesn’t seem like something the Supreme Court needs to be ruling on to me. Church and state are separate, but at the same time, people are assholes and if they don’t want to do it based off their own beliefs - fine. If somebody didn’t want to make me a website because of a certain view or opinion that I had.. then I’d just find somebody else to give my business to and say forget you. Unless I’m missing the deeper implications here, I just view the person who refused service as somebody who is living in the past and putting the prejudices at the forefront of their business. Again, completely open to other interpretations as I didn’t read this one as closely - but it sounds like the court was just upholding the business owners right to not do business with who they want, not taking away rights of the gay couple?

Lastly, I support striking down the student loan forgiveness. Originally I was on the fence, because of personal benefits I’d receive, but changed my mind. When I took out loans, I knew full well that I’d have to pay them back. There are many people out there with student loans, yes they suck, but you don’t get to change your mind and ask for a free pass just because they suck. The real issue I feel like we should be tackling here related to interest payments on student loans. THOSE in particular are insane and companies shouldn’t be making record profits exploiting loans taken out by students. While we are at it, why not examine tuition rates of schools now a days, they have risen at a significantly higher proportion than things like wages and other expense. While I’d like to have a chunk of my loans erased, I have plans in place in order to pay them off and get rid of them. I think bearing the responsibility of your actions and decisions is an important life lesson. Many high school seniors don’t have the forward thinking, I know I didn’t, on the full extent on how student loans can impact them. We should be educating our youth on these processes more because we usually only get one shot at it and are oftentimes going into these decisions underprepared. Many student loans haven’t needed to be paid for quite awhile due to COVID. I took that time to set money aside and use that time to have a cushion of sorts for when payments started up. Fiscal responsibility is a huge part in adulting, even though it’s an incredibly difficult part. So I think the decision was fair, but we need to take a look at other aspects of student loans.
    You pretty much summed up literally exactly what I was going to. So I don't see a point in writing out a long multi paragraph response like I was going to.
    I was worried about it being unpopular but I don't feel like this is even close to the worst thing in the world the supreme court has done lately.
    the roe v wade ruling was much, much more detrimental than this imo.

It might be unpopular, but I do actually completely agree with you.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Chilljoy (06-30-2023),I_royalty_I (06-30-2023),Lilac Tentacles (06-30-2023)