Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Security Questions upon Sign Up!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Oh noooooo, out of every security feature available, security questions always gives me the most problems. Often, a website needs the exact text you put in, so something like
    "What high school did you go to" and I know I went to (fake name) Thomas Jefferson High School but I don't know if I put in Jefferson High or Jefferson High School or the real full name or just Jefferson, ugh.

Like for the one in the screenshot, "What street did I grow up on". I moved every 2 years as a child, I can remember at least 5 addresses and there's no promise which one I'm going to think of first on any given day and usually I only get a few tries to guess before I get locked out! I hope the other questions are more specific like... like.. Fuck, I can't really think of much that wouldn't change every few years / could be remembered. Maybe mother's maiden name? But I wouldn't want to give that information to Neopets

This might just be me, though. I never had a favorite book, band, or movie growing up. I also wouldn't trust TNT to implement this properly... I mean, they keep telling me I created one of my accounts with an email that started with a P and I for sure, 100%, have never made an email address with a P. Are they gonna start telling me my mother's maiden name starts with T (for That's a load of crap) ?

Pronouns
    Flor/Fleur
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    45d 7h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    This feature was added in November of 2020

(you need an account to see links)

They really should note that it is important to write down your security question answers though, in case you pick a question that has ambiguous answers without thinking...
    Hmm I thought I remembered they added that feature. I wasn't tripping after all! Hopefully we can start adding security questions to already created accounts.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    14h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Oh noooooo, out of every security feature available, security questions always gives me the most problems. Often, a website needs the exact text you put in, so something like
    "What high school did you go to" and I know I went to (fake name) Thomas Jefferson High School but I don't know if I put in Jefferson High or Jefferson High School or the real full name or just Jefferson, ugh.

Like for the one in the screenshot, "What street did I grow up on". I moved every 2 years as a child, I can remember at least 5 addresses and there's no promise which one I'm going to think of first on any given day and usually I only get a few tries to guess before I get locked out! I hope the other questions are more specific like... like.. Fuck, I can't really think of much that wouldn't change every few years / could be remembered. Maybe mother's maiden name? But I wouldn't want to give that information to Neopets

This might just be me, though. I never had a favorite book, band, or movie growing up. I also wouldn't trust TNT to implement this properly... I mean, they keep telling me I created one of my accounts with an email that started with a P and I for sure, 100%, have never made an email address with a P. Are they gonna start telling me my mother's maiden name starts with T (for That's a load of crap) ?
    "Please take a photo of your mother as proof of her maiden name."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gooblah For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (08-16-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post

I feel this one hundred percent. I have on account with a security question that's like a "where did xyz happen" and there are so many possible answers that are all correct depending on how specific I was as a kid (could have been something as vague as "at work" or "at school" or as specific as a particular building). I have access to the account in question, but I can't update the security question without knowing the correct answer.

Another time recently I had a security question about my "best friend", and I could tell based on the age of the account who the person was, but it ended up being a person who I later started dating and who treated me terribly, so clearly that one didn't age well!

I know recent recommendation is to treat security questions like additional passwords and just have answers like `Z7^U#$jG5nCV` but that's not a practice I've actually started yet.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (08-16-2022),SpaceyGirl (08-16-2022)