Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was there any logic behind what became UC and what didn't?

Pronouns
    🍃⏳
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    24d 8h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBestNeopetsPlayer View Post
    I never really felt this way personally. A lot of old computer games used to inform you that your character changed clothes with some text and stat changes rather than anything visual. It's kind of like how you don't see all 6 of your BD items on your pet when you look at them.
    This is mostly what I felt like too. Having grown up playing RPGs, "only" seeing a little bit of text was okay for me because I was able to imagine the pet using the item.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serebii For This Useful Post:

Orbit (08-06-2022),TheBestNeopetsPlayer (08-06-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    In regards to art permission by original artists of the uc art… why didn’t neopets have a clause in their contracts that they fully own the art work?

u 'mirin?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

Double.Trouble (08-07-2022),Sakuras (08-08-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    947 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I wouldn't be surprised if when things started out whatever contracts or agreements they had weren't all that standard or well thought out... definitely back in the original days having that kind of forethought or thoroughness with regards to art assets probably wasn't a thing. But if it really were the case I'd be more surprised that Nick didn't shore up their legalese lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Double.Trouble (08-07-2022),Sakuras (08-08-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    I was always confused about the "we no longer own that art" when it came to certain UCs because...unless they fucked up somewhere with contracts, wouldn't the company just own the rights to everything drawn for the site?
    It always felt like an excuse to me, kinda like the "we don't have the code to create new UCs, it's too haaaaard" when they obviously did.
    I dunno.
    I think someone on the team just liked UC Kaus and completely just didn't care about UC RB Lupes for some reason, even though the latter falls under their so called rule of the pet must have a drastic art change to have a UC option.
    "when I say acab, I include tony p"

-Proverb, 2021

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double.Trouble For This Useful Post:

Corliss (08-17-2022),Ice (08-07-2022),Sakuras (08-08-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    What even counts as enough of a change to circumvent needing permission from original artist?

Extra lace/fur over here? Change in hand pose? Different spot color?

u 'mirin?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    23h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    What even counts as enough of a change to circumvent needing permission from original artist?

Extra lace/fur over here? Change in hand pose? Different spot color?
    This is a good question. If the original artist of a UC Maraquan Kacheek tried to complain in court then I don't know how far he would get. It's not like he owns the trademark for Kacheeks or Maraqua and he very obviously produced the pic while working for this company. Why would the art itself not be the company's property?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBestNeopetsPlayer For This Useful Post:

Raposa (08-09-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 4h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I always assumed that some of the combos that were kept UC just straight up didn't exist, like RB grarrl is cool, but I don't think grarrl are particularly popular pets, add on the fact that it's a very expensive PB and gender specific, the pool for those UCs would be really small.

That said, I can't imagine there were many royal kau and they stayed UC

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    417 times
    Time Online
    84d 15h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    But i'm still a bit confused, like if they couldn't apply due to copyright then why doing it for replicas? What's the difference there?

As far as I see they're more re-drawing for NC UCs (and hopefully it would be something different than the fist pose conversion) to be different from OG.

I can imagine staff doing preferences about what they like more vs what's easiest to customize.

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Was it possible the rights could have just been misplaced? It happens pretty often. Think I recall it happening to Bob Marleys music way back when, and copyright confusion is the reason MLP: FiM features characters like Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash instead of Surprise and Firefly.

Rights holders change, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Scientologists involved back in the day didn't have something to do with it, as they've been known to be very shady just in general, and/or maybe ownership was made murky during the Viacom acquisition. (Hopefully I worded that right, I'm working off a single Mountain Dew atm) It may explain why some newer pets were chosen over old ones?

But I also don't know what their contracts looked like. Maybe the artists actually did own their work to an extent?
    Last edited by Raposa; 08-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    947 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I feel like maybe the only person who could really shed light into this that is easily accessible would be Anthony Conley, as he's done art for Neopets for a long time and currently still does art contractually and is active in Neopets Nation. Maybe if anyone wants to reach out to him and ask... XD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Miri (08-09-2022)