78/0
    Mentioned
    709 times
    Time Online
    157d 6h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyc View Post
    Mostly just repeating things already mentioned here, I take melatonin, read before bed, or watch a show that doesn't require too much attention. A year ago I was having trouble sleeping just because I had too many thoughts in my brain that I needed a distraction from, and I found that falling asleep to a simple show like Bob's Burgers really helped, lol.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a sleep mask, you know that mask you just put over your eyes! It sounds silly, but I have somehow conditioned my brain into knowing that when I put the sleep mask on for complete darkness, it's time to sleep. I think it also helps me stay asleep as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Z-Quil melatonin gummies were the first melatonin I tried, and the "triple strength" ones at that, and they were fine, but I ended up finding others I liked better. You're supposed to take two gummies for a total of 12mg a night, but some nights they just wouldn't work and I'd end up having to take three, lol. I ended up just going with another brand that makes 10mg pills, and it's not too much of a difference to me but I just prefer the pills. The gummies did taste good, though!
    Do you find that they make your drowsy in the AM or it difficult to wake up? That's the only thing holding me back as I don't want to sleep through my alarm lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    709 times
    Time Online
    83d 17h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

What helps you fall asleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    I’m lucky in the sense that caffeine doesn’t affect me. I can drink a coffee and go to sleep later no problem.

To fall asleep, I have to have the fan on and AC on if it’s summer. I need my pillows arranged in a specific way and then I put on either ocean waves or a 10 hour brown noise loop. It helps me sleep so well.
    Usually if I can’t fall asleep it’s because I can’t get comfortable or something is setting off my sensory issues!

I forgot to mention. If it’s not pitch black, I won’t be able to sleep. Any sort of light will keep me awake. Blackout curtains are my best friend.
    And ear plugs. I think it’s because a sensory thing as well, as they soften all ambient noise. Even though I need various ambient sounds to sleep. Neurodivergence is fun!

I’ve never been able to understand how people can fall asleep with a TV on. The light and changing sound can and does wake me up/keep me awake. My husband always falls asleep with his iPad on watching Netflix and it drives me CRAZY.
    I also don’t use the anything melatonin related just because it’s never worked for me, but that could an ADHD thing for me personally /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    When I had my Peloton App subscription I would always use their sleep meditation classes. I responded well to their guided meditation and relaxation. I would do just quick 5-10 minute ones and would be out like a like. I would even do them on nights where I wasn't having problems falling asleep. There are still some random nights that the sleep meditation doesn't work and I have to try Melatonin. I am also temped to try Z-Quil its like Nyquil but just for sleep and not colds. Has anyone tried that?
    o
    I can’t speak for Zzzquil but I can speak for Benadryl. I take it daily because of my sensitive skin and allergies. Can’t be itchy if you’re not conscious
    Because of my various allergies and skin sensitivity, I was recommended by my immunologist when I had intensive allergy testing done to take Benadryl nightly to prevent or lessen the hives I get. It works AND it puts me out. Only downside is sometimes it causes vivid/very realistic dreams and can make you groggy. If I’m having a bad reaction and take 2 Benadryl, phew. Out like a light and will be tired for the next two days. But the hives? Gone.
    So if you’re like me, and you have allergies and need help sleeping, Benadryl may be your solution. Costco sells a huge pack of them, 10/10 lasts a good while.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    36d 13h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    Do you find that they make your drowsy in the AM or it difficult to wake up? That's the only thing holding me back as I don't want to sleep through my alarm lol
    I feel like that's a hard one for me to answer since I have always had a problem with waking up, I'm just not a morning person in general. Honestly, my sleep schedule in general is just a mess right now since I don't have an alarm I need to wake up to, but it certainly gets the job of getting me to sleep done! I can't really speak for the Z-Quil ones specifically since it's been awhile since I tried them and can't really remember what those mornings were like, but with this other brand I do find that I often wake up before I've gotten my full 8-9 hours of sleep, so in my experience, yes, I am able to physically wake up- whether I'm grumpy or not, lol! The brand I take now, Nature Made, actually has an "extended release" version that is supposed to help you stay asleep. I'm nearly done that bottle now but they haven't really made a difference to me, so I'm just going to stick with their extra strength ones.
    Custom Userbar made by (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyc For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    709 times
    Time Online
    157d 6h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    I forgot to mention. If it’s not pitch black, I won’t be able to sleep. Any sort of light will keep me awake. Blackout curtains are my best friend.
    And ear plugs. I think it’s because a sensory thing as well, as they soften all ambient noise. Even though I need various ambient sounds to sleep. Neurodivergence is fun!

I’ve never been able to understand how people can fall asleep with a TV on. The light and changing sound can and does wake me up/keep me awake. My husband always falls asleep with his iPad on watching Netflix and it drives me CRAZY.
    I also don’t use the anything melatonin related just because it’s never worked for me, but that could an ADHD thing for me personally /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t speak for Zzzquil but I can speak for Benadryl. I take it daily because of my sensitive skin and allergies. Can’t be itchy if you’re not conscious
    Because of my various allergies and skin sensitivity, I was recommended by my immunologist when I had intensive allergy testing done to take Benadryl nightly to prevent or lessen the hives I get. It works AND it puts me out. Only downside is sometimes it causes vivid/very realistic dreams and can make you groggy. If I’m having a bad reaction and take 2 Benadryl, phew. Out like a light and will be tired for the next two days. But the hives? Gone.
    So if you’re like me, and you have allergies and need help sleeping, Benadryl may be your solution. Costco sells a huge pack of them, 10/10 lasts a good while.
    I am also like you however I can fall asleep infront of the TV. Hubby will be watching a sow and it can be a full blown action movie and if I'm tied enough I can doze right off. The kicker is when I wake up and drG my ass to bed I can't fall asleep haha!

I do however night darkness to sleep! Hig fant of black out curtains, blinds and if necessary an eye mask. Growing up I could only sleep in dead silence however since being with a partner I need something constant to drown out any heavy breathing/snoring so a fan or a white noise maker is an absolute must now!

I don't have allergies so I can't speak to Benadryl so I may look into Zzzquil and have an emergency stash just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dustyc View Post
    I feel like that's a hard one for me to answer since I have always had a problem with waking up, I'm just not a morning person in general. Honestly, my sleep schedule in general is just a mess right now since I don't have an alarm I need to wake up to, but it certainly gets the job of getting me to sleep done! I can't really speak for the Z-Quil ones specifically since it's been awhile since I tried them and can't really remember what those mornings were like, but with this other brand I do find that I often wake up before I've gotten my full 8-9 hours of sleep, so in my experience, yes, I am able to physically wake up- whether I'm grumpy or not, lol! The brand I take now, Nature Made, actually has an "extended release" version that is supposed to help you stay asleep. I'm nearly done that bottle now but they haven't really made a difference to me, so I'm just going to stick with their extra strength ones.
    It's true different medications will have different effects. I guess I will just have to give it a go on a night where I don't have many responsibilities the next day and see what happens. I am also not a morning person so I definitely don't want something that will make it harder to get out of bed. Thanks for your feedback

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022),dustyc (07-19-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    A lot of people I know have mentioned melatonin makes them groggy when they wake up but I've never felt that personally.
    Might need to experiment with dosages maybe?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 8h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    This is absolutely a shoulder devil response, but I don't go to bed until I'm already exhausted. That isn't like an intentional plan to help with sleep or anything, I just get absorbed in whatever I'm doing and lose track of time. I almost always fall asleep pretty fast but I can't pretend this tendency isn't a huge factor haha

The healthier thing I do though is listen to the same playlist every night. Music is a good balance for my brain energy - listening to lyrics is something to focus on so I don't get sucked into some big involved train of thought, but not engaging enough to keep me awake for it alone

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    418 times
    Time Online
    84d 20h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    When I used to do exercise at night I definitely ended very tired and sleep quickly. So I'd say you could do something that phisically drains some energy.

Also sometimes I just read, nothing so serious or complicated, and eventually I fall asleep.

Sorry for not having more advices :c

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 15h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    I like it colder (must have AC in the spring/summer) and usually some form of white noise if there isn't almost complete silence.
    The AC covers that.
    I do miss back home when I heard katydids and tree frogs at night in the summer. It would help lull me to sleep. I live in the city now so it's sirens, angry junkies screaming, dogs and car horns, lol.
    "when I say acab, I include tony p"

-Proverb, 2021

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Double.Trouble For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    i also try to stay up and out of bed until i am really tired. i try to wash my face and brush my teeth earlier too because that wakes me up sometimes.

temperature is very important to me too. i CANNOT sleep if i’m too hot. i have a rechargeable camping fan on my nightstand i turn off if i’m getting to warm. sleeping with a separate blanket from my partner helps too.

i’m a tv sleeper too but i like a small screen (like an ipad) that i can turn away from myself and i’ll just listen to something i’ve seen a million times.

this one is likely v specific to me, but on nights that i’m laying in bed, tossing and turning, i shut my eyes and run through the map of final fantasy x hahahahaha i’ve played it so many times i have it memorized and all of the locations are semi connected. a different linear game or world could probably work similarly.

i think the trick for me when i can’t sleep is just keeping my mind occupied with something comforting. maybe there was some validity to counting sheep??!

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 1h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Strangely, I think falling asleep for me has to be a comforted state of mind, and like a very precise one.

As such, I usually leave on a YouTube playlist of someone talking about very factual information back to back. Alongside that, I've found having a weighted blanket helped me from tossing too much in bed. I still do get some really vivid and bizarre dreams as of late, so I can't say if I'm getting quality sleep or not.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HiroiSekai For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (08-07-2022)