14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m

Pluto anime on Netflix in October

As some of you know I'm a huge Urasawa, specifically Monster and Pluto fan. I own both manga and the Monster anime, which is also my favorite anime ever. I've been hoping Pluto would get animated for years, ever since I first read it, because I know it has just such a great and intricate story that would do very well with anime fans that feel like reading 8 volumes is just too big of a hurdle.

Anyway I discovered a few weeks ago Netflix is actually making an animated version, set to come out this October already. Here's a trailer and a sneak peek:

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I am absolutely thrilled it's finally happening but at the other hand I'm absolutely terrified Netflix will fuck it up. Series on Netflix are always either huge hits (Dark) or huge misses (Rings of Power imho). I feel like the stakes are so high for me personally, which is only natural after rooting for it for years...

On the other hand both the producer and director are awesome veterans: Masao Maruyama who made Trigun, Ninja Scroll and others, and worked with Satoshi Kon for example, but most importantly he is the producer of Monster itself (a great sign Netflix is putting the right emphasis/weight on this). And Toshio Kawaguchi who did key animation on freaking Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Gundam, Totoro, Tenshi no Tamago...

So those are really good signs. I guess now the only two things that matter to me are a) if the story doesn't deviate from the original, and if Netflix gave full reign/freedom to adapt, and b) if the serious/dark vibe/feel is the same as in the manga. (and maybe a third one if I can get over the fact they use so much cgi nowadays lol)

What do you guys think? Anyone else looking forward to it? ^^
    Last edited by Erik.; 08-05-2023 at 06:32 AM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

abaj (08-06-2023),Maneki Neko (08-06-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 15h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    This looks fantastic. I re-read Pluto months ago and it's one of my favourite Urasawa works because
    The smears on Gesicht as he prepares to confront the suspect looks so sleak and how I'd expect him to move. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to abaj For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-06-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by abaj View Post
    This looks fantastic. I re-read Pluto months ago and it's one of my favourite Urasawa works because
    The smears on Gesicht as he prepares to confront the suspect looks so sleak and how I'd expect him to move. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And it goes for Monster too. I just love Urasawa's profound focus on morality, philosophy and psychology.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

abaj (08-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    12d 3h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Oh wow, this looks like it will be a must watch. My wife and I binged Monster within a few days a few years ago. The characters and story were entrancing, and I liked the hard hitting moral questions it raises but doesn't entirely answer. A lot of stories these days do too much telling and not showing, like we're not intelligent enough to come to our own conclusions on social or political issues.

"On the other hand both the producer and director are awesome veterans: Masao Maruyama who made Trigun, Ninja Scroll and others, and worked with Satoshi Kon for example, but most importantly he is the producer of Monster itself (a great sign Netflix is putting the right emphasis/weight on this). And Toshio Kawaguchi who did key animation on freaking Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Gundam, Totoro, Tenshi no Tamago..."

This gives me hope. I myself am not a fan at all of CGI in anime unless its incorporated well, otherwise it looks jarring and out of place and breaks my immersion.
    An example of good CGI I think was Beastars.

I will definitely be checking Pluto out!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maneki Neko For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-06-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    Oh wow, this looks like it will be a must watch. My wife and I binged Monster within a few days a few years ago. The characters and story were entrancing, and I liked the hard hitting moral questions it raises but doesn't entirely answer. A lot of stories these days do too much telling and not showing, like we're not intelligent enough to come to our own conclusions on social or political issues.

"On the other hand both the producer and director are awesome veterans: Masao Maruyama who made Trigun, Ninja Scroll and others, and worked with Satoshi Kon for example, but most importantly he is the producer of Monster itself (a great sign Netflix is putting the right emphasis/weight on this). And Toshio Kawaguchi who did key animation on freaking Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Gundam, Totoro, Tenshi no Tamago..."

This gives me hope. I myself am not a fan at all of CGI in anime unless its incorporated well, otherwise it looks jarring and out of place and breaks my immersion.
    An example of good CGI I think was Beastars.

I will definitely be checking Pluto out!
    That's exactly what I love about Monster.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Maneki Neko (08-06-2023)