Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remember when Pokémon was just a tv show?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    93d 8h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 36m
    Even when it was just a TV show I remember Pokémon was such a big deal among kids. I was about 10-ish when I was gifted my first ever pokemon game: Pokémon Special Pikachu Edition, and I was over the moon. I remember my dad also recorded movies and pokemon episodes on a VHS from the TV so I could watch them whenever I wanted lol.

Also, the Tazos! I'm not sure if they were a thing outside Latin America, but when I was in Elementary School, they were POPPIN, every one had their tazos collection and would challenge friends to play with them. I had like 100+ tazos until my baby sister gave them away to her kindergarden friends because she wanted to be popular

There is no trash cannot, only
    TRASH CAN

Special thanks to lyrichord for the amazing userbar avatar & honeycomb for the cutest drawing!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    36d 3h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Oh yes! My grandfather use to record shows for us so we could rewatch them lol
    I remember when I use to rewind the intro just so I could sing the Theme over and over again!
    Wish I kept those VHSs though.
    Haha yes, the theme song. I reckon I would still remember the lyrics today if I tried.

Me and my mates back in the day used to ride our bikes up and down the streets near my house belting out the Pokemon theme song so often. It was a very inspirational theme song for sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (07-05-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post
    Even when it was just a TV show I remember Pokémon was such a big deal among kids. I was about 10-ish when I was gifted my first ever pokemon game: Pokémon Special Pikachu Edition, and I was over the moon. I remember my dad also recorded movies and pokemon episodes on a VHS from the TV so I could watch them whenever I wanted lol.

Also, the Tazos! I'm not sure if they were a thing outside Latin America, but when I was in Elementary School, they were POPPIN, every one had their tazos collection and would challenge friends to play with them. I had like 100+ tazos until my baby sister gave them away to her kindergarden friends because she wanted to be popular

I'll be randomly playing a game with some friends and belt out the song. They hate it, but I love it LOL.

It's so funny how one song can bring together so many people ya know?

Thank you Hellraid <3

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

Strat (07-05-2022),Trash Panda (07-05-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    36d 3h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post

Oh man, I don't think we ever got these in Australia, but hot damn, if we had, I would have collected the crap out of them. I used to collect the original Looney Toons/Chester Cheetah/Space Jam etc Tazo's. I had the complete sets of all of those. I could imagine trying to collect all of the Pokemon ones like you were a trainer catching them all haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Useful Post:

Trash Panda (07-05-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Honestly I don't remember the early days of Pokemon, I think I might have been a bit late, but it's weird, I don't remember getting introduced to Pokemon, I just know at some point I got into the craze. I remember watching the show and then calling my friends during the commercials and getting upset when our broadcasts were a few seconds out of sync (remember this, I think I was destined to be the type into live episode discussions of new episodes on reddit in the like). I got super into collecting the cards and this must have been just before it really exploded because I remember at first having to go to more nice shops to find them before they were at places like toy stores.
    My very first gameboy experience was borrowing Pokemon Red from a friend who wasn't that into Pokemon and didn't care if restarted her game and oversaved it, but I also remember the huuuuuge thing of people letting each other try the game from the start and then ending without saving when time was up. Eventually I got an atomic purple gameboy color and yellow for my birthday.

But I honestly don't really remember the order of these events at all. The only clue I have is who I played with and who moved where when, and looking at US release dates, but truly truly do not remember whether it was show/cards/games first for me.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 16h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    The TV Show was how I learned about the best boy Buizel haha. I used to love the theme songs as well. If anyone still watches the show, has Ash won a tournament yet or??? Because I definitely remember he kept taking L after L each season

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I'm also really curious how old everybody is in this thread. I was already pretty young when Pokemon started blowing up in the US, so I imagine for some of you everything was Already There by the time you were forming proper memories?

[edit] Or even before you were born, omg. I know we got some people in their early 20s here.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I'm also really curious how old everybody is in this thread. I was already pretty young when Pokemon started blowing up in the US, so I imagine for some of you everything was Already There by the time you were forming proper memories?

[edit] Or even before you were born, omg. I know we got some people in their early 20s here.
    I was pretty young as well to the point where I can't remember my first interest in Pokemon but my mum can. I kept telling her about "Pikachu" lol. But I definitely watched the show in North America as far back as I can remember so maybe 4 ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

kittyray (07-05-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    93d 8h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 36m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post

I looked it up and Pokemon was created about a year after I was born, but it didn't blew up in my country until the early 2000's, that's when I was in Elementary School.

I also remember the satanic panic that came along with Pokemon. I had a couple of school friends that weren't allowed to play/watch anything related to pokemon because it was the dEViL

There is no trash cannot, only
    TRASH CAN

Special thanks to lyrichord for the amazing userbar avatar & honeycomb for the cutest drawing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trash Panda For This Useful Post:

kittyray (07-05-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    10d 6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    my daughter is four and starting to really get into pokemon, & i always feel like
    (you need an account to see links)
    me & my brother would always watch pokemon after school. i think it was pokemon, then digimon, then dbz?? if i'm remembering right, idk it was so long ago.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shazi For This Useful Post:

Ice (07-05-2022),kittyray (07-05-2022)