15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m

[Guide] How to play PS1 games on Steam

Why this guide? Because there's not really a clear and noob friendly guide out there for doing this. It's hard to figure out how to get beetle going if you don't already know what you're doing with retroarch or emulation. A lot of other cores with the program are more straight forward and 'plug and play' so to speak. While beetle needs a slight bit more effort than say a SNES or N64 core.

Now, on to the guide!

First, and most importantly it's worth telling everyone,(you need an account to see links) And with that comes the ability to emulate just about anything you want, unfortunately PS2 and gamecube are not supported yet, but with a little effort, we can get PS1 working.

Secondly, what you need to do in order to achieve playing PS1 games, is to install the proper core. What is a core you might be asking? It's what you need to run the emulator of your choice. There's many, many cores for retroarch, but for this one we only need (you need an account to see links)

After installing retroarch, and the cores you want, they won't be activated by default, and this part can be finicky sometimes. I've had to do fresh installs from messing this part up. Considering the small size of retroarch and the cores, it's not a big deal if you break the emulator a bit. To activate the cores, from your steam library, click on retroarch, from there you'll see a box with your DLC, this is where you want to go. Click on "manage my DLC" make sure Beetle PSX is check marked. If it is, you have your core.
    If retroarch still crashes after this, just do a fresh install, the core will be selected by default this time (Double check though to avoid issues.) and it won't crash retroarch this time. If it does, do a clean install, and make sure you delete all traces of the folder by entering the drive you have steam installed on, open the steamlibrary folder, the steamapps folder, open the 'common' folder, and delete the retroarch folder, reinstall, and try again.

Now, beetle will be set up from here, you'll need to obtain your own PS1 game files, as it's illegal for me to share them, or where to find them. A simple google search will get you what you need though. But you won't be able to play just yet, beetle doesn't come with the cores, which determine your region, for the sake of helping you play any region you want, I'm going to give a link to all three cores. If the link dies, tell me. I will upload my own BIOS for the community here.

BIOS REMOVED: THEY ARE LEGALLY PROTECTED AND I CANNOT DISTRIBUTE THEM! I got scolded on steam for distributing them by Libretro themselves.
    You can find the github page through creative googling though, I'll help you further. There are three files in total, named scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin, and scph5502.bin which will leave you without a region lock. It won't really matter what region your games come from if you get all 3 from the same source.

Now that we have obtained the cores, it's time to put them to use. This part isn't so hard. Go back to your steam library, and right click retroarch in your library, hover over "manage" and click on "browse local files" It will automatically open a folder for you, that's where you put your cores. Just simply drag them to the folder, that's it. That's all you need to do.

Provided you have some game files on hand to try out, it's time to play them. Beetle should be working perfectly fine and no longer complaining about missing cores. Have fun.
    Last edited by Synth Salazzle; 04-30-2023 at 07:19 PM. Reason: I can't have the bios here i got in trouble for it on steam

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata