15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I have the same question as above - was that not true of "gay"? And if it was also an insult, what makes it feel different (if it does)?

I feel like which words were the big insults might be partially regional? Where I was as a kid and all through HS, "gay" was THE insult, both for things literally perceived as flamboyant/gay-coded and as a general "xyz sucks" about absolutely anything. I remember at one point having an assignment for a media class to make a PSA, and the big tagline of mine was "homophobia is gay" (cringe) which at the time was really organically read as "homophobia is bad". I didn't hear queer nearly as much, which I acknowledge is probably a factor in my comfort with it, but conversely I can't really imagine not wanting to say or identify as gay.

It's also interesting you say fag hasn't been reclaimed - my impression is that it has, almost all of my male gay friends use it for themselves and their friends/partners all the time (possibly skewed by being in a big, liberal city though). I don't think it's seen the same prominence as queer because it's more of a slang term, so regardless of comfort or reclamation it doesn't really belong in the titles of stuff or in intellectual works anyway. And then dyke, which is basically a female equivalent imo, has actually seen more of the formal reclamation use with things like the Dyke March.

It's cool to hear different perspectives though! I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the words that aren't controversial.
    Definitely agree, I think regionality is a big part of it! Gay was definitely used as an insult here, but the most common ones were h*mo and f*ggot. I come from a semi-rural area and I think that due to that, people are more hesitant to reclaim titles other than gay, lesbian, bisexual etc. I've noticed in the city their seems to be more freedom of expression and waaaaay more (almost total) acceptance, I really hope it spreads outwards someday so the LGBT people in my community feel comfortable claiming whatever they like!
    Interesting that f*g hasn't been reclaimed here, but dyke has been wholeheartedly so. I think here it is a bit safer to be a gay woman (which still isn't very safe) than a gay man, as gay men occasionally are subject to male on male hate fueled violence

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Druid (07-05-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 1h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    After spending my first year on Twitch, I was exposed to many groups within the LGBTQ+ communities, pretty much all of which have been awesome. I think it is best to tread carefully initially, as some choose to proudly be part of those communities, and others are shy/reserved/etc. and don't particularly want to talk much about it over the content they want to share instead. More people are finding a pronoun they can feel comfortable in for the first time, and that's really cool.

Initially, I will try and avoid using any specific terminology, just sticking to them/they pronouns and otherwise just having everyday conversation. Many people who are proud of their status will generally let you know of their preference through a comment or their about section. To be really specific to this question, I haven't honestly come across any communities where the term was openly used like it was just another word in their vocabulary. That however, is just my experience, and to be honest, I can't say I've actively been an active part of local LGBTQ+ communities or anything like that. I just know a lot of LGBTQ+ people from work, social media, etc. and pretty much all of them are really cool. We all just kind of talk normally anyways, so the thought of using these terms don't come up much, if at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I love the word queer.

For me it's just. It's me. I don't have to do micro-identities or specify how I'm identifying.

I'm here, I'm queer, (heck) you.

For me it's also a form of rebellion. People are uncomfy with queer? Good. I'm here to make you uncomfortable and challenge your perceptions.

You don't /need/ to know my identity to respect me.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNK For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023),Druid (10-03-2023),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (12-21-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    71/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    7d 14h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    As a queer person I think we should use whatever words we feel comfortable with. I think there's a power in taking back words that were created to hurt/harm us as other marginalized communities have also done.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmg For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (12-21-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    245 times
    Time Online
    27d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    It's a word we all get, yes, it brings some Taboo to the table.

Some of my straight friends keep asking me when they can refer as Queer or Gay or Homo and even what to call a trans Man or a trans Woman and sometimes I get confused because
    they keep changing but for me, queer is someone who can express themselves however they want, either fem or masc or both, it's people that don't care about anything and are having a great time.

Selling my NC Closet & UC Mutant and Darigan Hissi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    71/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    7d 14h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibba View Post
    It's a word we all get, yes, it brings some Taboo to the table.

Some of my straight friends keep asking me when they can refer as Queer or Gay or Homo and even what to call a trans Man or a trans Woman and sometimes I get confused because
    they keep changing but for me, queer is someone who can express themselves however they want, either fem or masc or both, it's people that don't care about anything and are having a great time.
    Personally I don't think straight people should use queer or homo. They should stick to gay, lesbian, trans, etc. If a straight person referred to me as a queer or homo I would have an immediate problem with that. Straight people created the slurs but they don't get to use them because it goes from the queer community taking back those words back to being slurs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmg For This Useful Post:

Kibba (12-29-2023)

Pronouns
    they/he
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    23h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    im not an enormous fan of being called queer but i understand its vv important to some ppls identitys!
    i dont think it should be put away, but i do think the community could do with being more sensitive towards ppl who dont like to be called it
    and i do get a little irrationaly upset when cishet ppl say it, even when not in a bad context... gives me the ick heh