Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Looking for some coding friends who also play Neopets!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Hello! Looking for some coding friends who also play Neopets!

Hey all

Active Neopets player here - work in tech by day, which affords me some time to goof off. From a few years of legit play, I've been able to hit ~100m from buying/reselling retired items. Also recently hit a passable trophy and avatar count!

I just was hoping to make more friends that play the game who are curious about what's going on under the hood of Neopets. I've lurked on the forums for a while but was a little reluctant to post. Reddit seems to be a bit more strict about following the unclear rules that TNT laid out.

Though I like to create Neopets OCR/computer vision scripts to practice coding, I don't ever use them because I just tend to lose interest in games when I feel like I'm winning

Hobbies:
    • Singing - I love jazz style vocals!
    • Writing chatbots / other NLP technologies. Not really viable on NP unless its automated forum posting. Generative models kinda suck though even with modern advancements.
    • Collecting Pokemon - I felt like I should scratch this once because I collected a lot more prior to covid. Pokemon Stamps have been a really fun (and affordable) new fixation.
    • Other games: overwatch, online chess (awful at both)

Within the scope of Neopets, some hobbies include:
    • Trophy/avatar collecting - I hit the point where it's starting to get tedious!
    • Trying to figure out backend logic of NP. I'm positive others have done it before me, but I was able to backsolve Donny's free repairs... imagine the dozens of neopoints you could make from profit! I've been working on a ML model for Food Club for a bit, but it has had the opposite effect of making me not want to play until I can reasonably predict results (which are very likely to be just RNG).
    • Trying to predict item price jumps and buyouts - note: I have nothing to do with PB/MP/stamp buyouts; way too poor for that.

Somehow, I never got into cosmetics.

Best,
    DiamondBadge
    Last edited by diamondbadge; 05-20-2022 at 02:08 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondbadge For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (05-20-2022),Cookie Tray (05-19-2022),Zenitsu (05-20-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,164 times
    Time Online
    557d 12h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Welcome to clraik! We've got quite a few code-lovers in our midst!

Might not be viable for any sort of profit-making or objective on-site gains, but I think it would be fun and hilarious to make some sort of neoboard chatbot. Just let it run loose and watch the show. See how it performs on different boards. I know next to nothing about NLP/ML stuff, but I'm a fan of it. Especially seeing how far it's grown in my lifetime.

Looking forward to seeing you around.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    709 times
    Time Online
    83d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Hello!

I also am at the point where trophy and avatar collecting is tedious. I mainly have stamp avatars left which are soooo expensive

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    232 times
    Time Online
    65d 7h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Hello! Welcome to clraik

A few very experienced users here definitely have a very good idea of what goes on below to hood on Neopets, maybe the conversation will float up in the future with you here!
    I'm pretty interested to hear about what kind of computer vision / OCR scripts do you use on Neo?

Neo has definitely been a great playground for me to practice and improve my casual coding

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    5d 5h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Welcome to ck

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Welcome to clraik! We've got quite a few code-lovers in our midst!

Might not be viable for any sort of profit-making or objective on-site gains, but I think it would be fun and hilarious to make some sort of neoboard chatbot. Just let it run loose and watch the show. See how it performs on different boards. I know next to nothing about NLP/ML stuff, but I'm a fan of it. Especially seeing how far it's grown in my lifetime.

Looking forward to seeing you around.
    Hahaha I seriously entertained the idea of a bot that just tried to get in the middle of UC pet trading drama, but it's soooooooo nuanced. It would require a lot of effort just to give it context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Hello!

I also am at the point where trophy and avatar collecting is tedious. I mainly have stamp avatars left which are soooo expensive
    The STS mystery pic prize has given me hope, but I understand most of them have already been scooped up by the rich neopians. Fingers crossed that we start seeing some regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Hello! Welcome to clraik

A few very experienced users here definitely have a very good idea of what goes on below to hood on Neopets, maybe the conversation will float up in the future with you here!
    I'm pretty interested to hear about what kind of computer vision / OCR scripts do you use on Neo?

Neo has definitely been a great playground for me to practice and improve my casual coding
    My most recent was mostly a bulk user shop buyer with an emphasis on trying to generate natural mouse movement. Rather than beautiful soup scraping, it works off of image screenshots to do regular checks on where it is and what to click. Definitely not the most efficient, but it would shine if TNT ever took bot countermeasures a little more seriously.

I understand that mouse event data isn't difficult to implement with the html5 architecture. Additionally, a lot of advanced sites such as stubhub, where botting runs rampant, have been able to detect headless browsing - from what I've read, it appears that Selenium has some detectable elements. Would love to discuss in depth if there is a dedicated thread for it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Aglett View Post
    Welcome to ck
    Appreciate the warm welcome!!
    Last edited by diamondbadge; 05-20-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    232 times
    Time Online
    65d 7h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondbadge View Post
    My most recent was mostly a bulk user shop buyer with an emphasis on trying to generate natural mouse movement. Rather than beautiful soup scraping, it works off of image screenshots to do regular checks on where it is and what to click. Definitely not the most efficient, but it would shine if TNT ever took bot countermeasures a little more seriously.

I understand that mouse event data isn't difficult to implement with the html5 architecture. Additionally, a lot of advanced sites such as stubhub, where botting runs rampant, have been able to detect headless browsing - from what I've read, it appears that Selenium has some detectable elements. Would love to discuss in depth if there is a dedicated thread for it haha

Hmm you could be behind the recent CC junk item hoarding/sales then

I don't think TNT even measures mouse movements, but having to implement natural mouse movements reminds me a lot of bots for another game (Runescape), where that's super important.
    There's always the fight going on between headerless browser emulation vs detection, its an endless cat and mouse game.

We do have a programming section, and if interesting topics pop up there I'm sure it'll attract replies and discussion!

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    418 times
    Time Online
    84d 19h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    Hello welcome to the forum!!! Another tech user, we have some here and I always enjoy reading your talks and experiments!!

I'm not that deep into coding but I'm also curious about the vision perspective you have. Hope to see you around

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,769 times
    Time Online
    644d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Welcome to the community, @(you need an account to see links)!

Coding threads around here tend to take the form of "help me with a thing that I don't understand", or "look at this thing I'm building", neither of which makes for a very compelling conversation. An actual discussion about coding techniques, and the pros versus cons of certain approaches would be a breath of fresh air. We'd be happy to accommodate fledgling coders who are interested in learning how to get their concepts off the ground! If you have a question, or if you're looking to start a dialogue, then you'd be welcome to create a thread in (you need an account to see links). It's a ghost town over there because of the wide divide between enthusiasts and "professionals", but who knows! The right topic might help to generate a discussion.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (05-22-2022),j03 (05-29-2022),kittyray (05-21-2022),Shawn (05-21-2022),TsUNaMy WaVe (05-22-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    449 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Welcome to ck!

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!