Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Measure Your Own Success?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    7d 21h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I would say a sense of happiness, and also financial security.
    One day I'll be able to travel my lil booty off....and not worry about bills.

Til that comes, grind grind grind.
    >

Pronouns
    She/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    23d 20h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    I think the day I knew I "made it" and was better off than I'd ever been before was the day I realized I could afford to buy practically whatever I wanted at the grocery store (within reason) and not stress too much over the overall cost.

Still not exactly middle class (does that even exist anymore?) but at least I'm not going hungry and I can manage to treat myself, so that's good enough for me for now.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 17h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 10m
    so, I like this question. my partner and i have this discussion a lot.
    honestly, this has changed for me as i've aged/matured. in this moment, i measure my own success by looking ahead at what goals i have set for myself (whether it be personal, career, fitness, etc.) and comparing it to where i began. for example, i'm set to begin a research doctorate next year under a brilliant professor, i'm finishing up my second masters degree this upcoming may. yes i am stressed and yes i could be working more to make more money, but i look back on where i began (at the start of undergrad in community college, absolutely no clue what i wanted to do) compared to now- and that feels successful to me!

i'm also happy and comfortable. i think that's most important over everything. i'm not rich by any means, but i can buy the food i like and afford to eat out on the special occasion, and have some time to spend with my favorite people. our home is moderate and not updated, but we have the space we need and can afford to feel at-home in it.

editing to add: it's also soooo different for everyone. i'm personally childfree but there are some people who measure their success by having a happy and healthy family, which is amazing for them. it's super individualized to each person though!
    Last edited by goodnightmoon; 08-08-2022 at 02:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to goodnightmoon For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-08-2022)