96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 13h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

SO what is Anime really?

Ok so I dont think I like Anime? But on the other hand I am not really sure what all classify as anime?
    I like "drawn" movies like Frozen, Prince of Egype, Lion King, Beauty and the beast but is this Anime?

What is Manga? Lol dont laugh I really have no idea

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    The most common, basic distincation is that anime is a cartoon made in Japan, by Japanese animation studios. Manga is the same but with comics instead of animated cartoons.
    Ofc there's much more to go into, people sometimes call anime-influenced shows (like Avatar the last airbender) anime, and tend to say that anime is more about the aesthetics etc... Personally I don't agree because there are a lot of real anime (as in made in Japan) that don't fit into the general "anime aesthetics" at all, so it's kinda ruins that argument.
    Last edited by TsUNaMy WaVe; 05-04-2022 at 07:12 AM.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-04-2022),Hollow (05-04-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Eh. Everyone has what they like and dislike so it's fine not to be into anime Tbh it's an age old argument in what makes something a cartoon and what is an anime but they're both animated *shrugs* so I guess all it boils down to is country of origin. Take AtLA for example. It has a fairly similar art style to an anime but it's considered a cartoon.

So nope Lion King and other Disney films would not be considered an anime.

Manga is to comic books as anime is to cartoons more or less.

Edit: got beaten to the explanation haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to firedrops For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-04-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 13h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by firedrops View Post
    Eh. Everyone has what they like and dislike so it's fine not to be into anime Tbh it's an age old argument in what makes something a cartoon and what is an anime but they're both animated *shrugs* so I guess all it boils down to is country of origin. Take AtLA for example. It has a fairly similar art style to an anime but it's considered a cartoon.

So nope Lion King and other Disney films would not be considered an anime.

Manga is to comic books as anime is to cartoons more or less.

Edit: got beaten to the explanation haha
    Thank you guys. SO as far as I can tell Anime is basically animation that is created in Japan that has kind of a very similiar style?

- - - Updated - - -

I think because I am not a big Japan fan, maybe thats why I dont Anime. But I do like most disney animation. So now that I know its not the same thing I can honestly say I am not a Anime fan

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-04-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Think you've got the idea :p

Depends on who you're around too. Like I said before everyone around me at some point was into it so naturally I got into to fit into the group. Now that there's not so much social pressure I kind of consume anime at my own pace and decide to when I want to ._.

Keeping up with the popular ones were especially painful because they add what are called "fillers" between the episodes. And it's exactly what it sounds like. The anime is adapted from the manga source material and it takes time for enough manga chapters to make an episode. So what do they do when there's not enough material? They put tonnes of flashbacks in or low quality material the studio has created themselves (sometimes it's decent). It wasn't fun haha.

Oh yeah. I also played Osu... and I sucked at it. My hand eye coordination sucks. I think I still have some of tracks stuck in my head given how many times I played it.
    Last edited by firedrops; 05-04-2022 at 07:30 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to firedrops For This Useful Post:

phantasia (05-04-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 13h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by firedrops View Post
    Think you've got the idea :p

Depends on who you're around too. Like I said before everyone around me at some point was into it so naturally I got into to fit into the group. Now that there's not so much social pressure I kind of consume anime at my own pace and decide to when I want to ._.

Keeping up with the popular ones were especially painful because they add what are called "fillers" between the episodes. And it's exactly what it sounds like. The anime is adapted from the manga source material and it takes time for enough manga chapters to make an episode. So what do they do when there's not enough material? They put tonnes of flashbacks in or low quality material the studio has created themselves (sometimes it's decent). It wasn't fun haha.

Oh yeah. I also played Osu... and I sucked at it. My hand eye coordination sucks. I think I still have some of tracks stuck in my head given how many times I played it.
    I have no idea what Osu is. I cant believe they would put so many flash backs in. For soome reason Dragonball Z is being hugely advertised during news time here.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I was actually thinking about this the other day for a specific situation. I think rotoscoping is very very cool. Not like old-Disney style, but more recent things like Undone and Waking Life. If there were a rotoscoped production made by a studio in Japan, at what point in the style spectrum would it be considered anime and does it depend on what we consider as "anime style". I then started looking to see if any rotoscoped anime existed and found a couple examples.

One being a series called (you need an account to see links):

Another series called (you need an account to see links), where the animation is apparently known for being bad.

I don't want to list all the examples (not that there were many), but these are both things that line up well with a style people think of as anime, which makes sense because they are anime.

But then there's the further end of the spectrum with the more hyper-realistic uncanny valley productions. I couldn't find an example of anything from a Japanese studio, but I also don't have a lot of time.

So with the one I mentioned above, which I find is sort of in the middle between "old school Disney rotoscoping" and "omg Richard Linklater, that's kind of making my hair stand on edge", Undone sits in the middle.
    Maybe not the best because Undone definitely does lean more toward the latter end of the spectrum, but in the end there aren't many rotoscoped works to work with.

Disney's Peter Pan
    Raphael Bob-Waksberg's and Kate Purdy's Undone
    Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly

But let's say I replaced Peter Pan with Kowabon, at what between that and Undone does it become anime?

I don't think there's a correct answer to this, but it's been on my mind the past couple of weeks, and this seemed like a sort of relevant thread to dump my brain in.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB