Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: When or how did you discover anime?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Hmm, I think my first one was Digimon/Pokemon. At the same time I was watching Fruits Basket, Witch Hunter Robin, Love Hina, Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, Tenchi Muyo, Oh My Goddess and so many more. I have no idea why they were broadcasting those slightly mature anime on a kid's channel but all these got me into loving anime so much more than cartoons. I became hugely addicted to anime after and was the weird one in my school because nobody else watches this many or was this crazy over it.

Edit: I found fruits basket when my parents were out shopping and brought me along. I ended up standing at the entrance of the mall staring at/watching the TV that was playing fruits basket, and I think it was the episode that Kagura was first introduced. Didn't know what anime it was at that time and took me forever to find it (the internet wasn't that big then).

Quote Originally Posted by firedrops View Post
    Anyone ever go to an anime con? I went once with a few friends and lmao I was so underdressed compared to everyone else. Most people were in some for of cosplay and I just rocked up in casual attire so I stuck out like a sore thumb. It was fun but it was just a little too much for me.
    I go to anime cons every year and I don't cosplay much, I usually just dress up similar to a character i like but without the wig/contacts/makeup. I don't think it's an issue wearing casual attire!

Koi

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    24d 22h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I grew up watching cartoons such as Yu-Gi-Oh (original, GX), Pokemon, Digimon, Doraemon, DBZ and One Piece. Now, at the time, I didn't exactly know they were anime (just cartoons). Years later, I found out there were no plans to dub Yu-Gi-Oh GX season 4 - and I wanted to watch it. So I ended up binging Yu-GI-Oh, GX and later 5ds (subbed versions) on an anime streaming website. That's when I made the distinction between cartoons and anime. I'm glad they aired great anime during my childhood; I feel like children these days are missing out on the good stuff.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Other then Saturday morning cartoons with the dubbed imported cartoons I really got into anime in high school. My friends in high school were really into it and I got into it as well. First Fruits Basket then other Clamp things, Card Captor, Chobits, etc.. I also vividly recall reading some manga in the school library called Please Save our Earth or something. I don't recall anything about it now but it was a great way to ignore school work.

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Hollow for the shiny Minior art!
    Thank you ♥ hearts ♥ for the shiny Minior pumpkin!
    Mint born 11/15/2020

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    19d 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I was essentially raised by the early 2000's internet so watching anime was kind of a requirement.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raposa For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Pronouns
    any/all
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    19d 15h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    october 2010. i was 11 years old. very into pokemon. but also in the throes of puberty, ready for my media tastes to evolve further. so i went to a "whats your favorite anime" thread on the serebii forums, and picked up a couple of manga series that were recommended somewhat frequently (and that werent shounen jump material with 10000 volumes): death note and black butler.
    and with that, the floodgates opened! not much else to say. my tastes evolved further as i read more, watched what was on adult swim, and eventually made friends who also liked anime. highlight of the general time was finding cowboy bebop on adult swim that december and instantly falling in love.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blissey For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I think Adult Swim and Toonami technically got me into anime that wasn't Pokemon, Monster Rancher, and Digimon but when I was in middle school we got a cable box that had OnDemand which had a whole section for anime and I think that's when things really popped off and I went full weeb. Then I had a sleep over my one and only high school friend and she had a literal WALL of mangas so whenever I woke up (I'm always the first up in unfamiliar houses) I would just sneaky read her mangas until she caught me one day and I just parachuted further down the weeb hole. Unfortunately I dated someone who mocked my anime and manga love and I dropped it to seem "cool". Now I don't watch as much but that's only because I need to be playing neopets or something while I watch tv and that's hard af to do if you gotta read subtitles. Old me would be disgusted to see me preferring dubs when I do watch lol.

Thank you @Orbit for the Jackalope Ryu

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackalope For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her and he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    12d 1h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    I was 13 years old when I discovered that my favourite cartoon, Sailor Moon, was called anime. I made a friend who loved anime and taught me what it was, and got me to watch random episodes of Ranma and Evangelion at her house. I became absolutely obsessed, and rented videos of any anime I could find at Blockbuster (which usually was too mature for me, but they let me rent it anyway because it was "cartoons").

This is going to make me sound ancient, but it was so difficult to consume anime back then that we would watch anything that we could get our hands on. This was before YouTube or video streaming. It felt like such a win when you found an anime magazine or a roleplaying message board, because it was something anime adjacent.

When YTV announced and aired Gundam Wing our little minds were blown. For the first episode, my friends and I sat by the phone and called each other during the commercials about how good it was. Princess Mononoke got a North American cinema release and we all went to see it, then watched a bootleg copy in Japanese with Chinese subtitles that one of us got from an overseas relative.

I'm so glad that anime has become way easier to consume. I don't know what little skate would have done if Crunchyroll existed back then. I would have lost my damn mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferengi For This Useful Post:

Slowpoke (09-22-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    I first heard about anime when a few of my friends started calling each other by the names of countries. That's how I started watching Hetalia.

Ironically I've never gotten past Axis Powers. I just start over. There's just something about the American Revolution that always pulls on my heartstrings.