Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When or how did you discover anime?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Anyone ever go to an anime con? I went once with a few friends and lmao I was so underdressed compared to everyone else. Most people were in some for of cosplay and I just rocked up in casual attire so I stuck out like a sore thumb. It was fun but it was just a little too much for me.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    I watched the ones on TV as a kid (Pokemon, Digimon), but I guess I don't associate that with anime since they were basically just the same as all the other Western cartoons I was watching at the same time. But probably around Grade 4 my cousin, who is a good 8-9 years older than me, came to visit from China and she showed me animes like Bleach and One Piece then, which got me really into reading manga too.

As for dub/sub, I will watch either I suppose... I probably mostly watch subs, but I'm not opposed to watching dubs e.g. Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 12h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I watched the ones on TV as a kid (Pokemon, Digimon), but I guess I don't associate that with anime since they were basically just the same as all the other Western cartoons I was watching at the same time. But probably around Grade 4 my cousin, who is a good 8-9 years older than me, came to visit from China and she showed me animes like Bleach and One Piece then, which got me really into reading manga too.

As for dub/sub, I will watch either I suppose... I probably mostly watch subs, but I'm not opposed to watching dubs e.g. Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop.
    see why I am so confused about what exactly is Anime. I watched Draganball Z and Pokemon as a kid but I saw it as just another cartoon in among the rest that was on tv

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-05-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    see why I am so confused about what exactly is Anime. I watched Draganball Z and Pokemon as a kid but I saw it as just another cartoon in among the rest that was on tv
    Kid me was really disappointed every time Ash lost a league. I was especially annoyed when he lost in the D/P era to some random guy with a Darkrai and a Latios. I'm pretty sure I stopped following the Pokemon anime for specifically this reason.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Quote Originally Posted by firedrops View Post
    Kid me was really disappointed every time Ash lost a league. I was especially annoyed when he lost in the D/P era to some random guy with a Darkrai and a Latios. I'm pretty sure I stopped following the Pokemon anime for specifically this reason.
    I finished watching this series a few years ago and I generally am very easy to please when it comes to Pokémon, but even I actively went “wtf” when Tobias showed up and just fucked Ash’s shit up wtf T_T

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I finished watching this series a few years ago and I generally am very easy to please when it comes to Pokémon, but even I actively went “wtf” when Tobias showed up and just fucked Ash’s shit up wtf T_T
    Charizard falling asleep in the original series was kind of pushing it too but at least it was an established plot device I guess. I also didn't like the fact he ditches his entire party except Pikachu when he arrives in a new region :/ I get that Pikachu is the mascot and the anime is more or less an advertising tool for the games so they need to introduce new Pokemon but come on... I'm just "slightly" salty that he never went back for Pidgeot or the 3098923048 pokemon he has holded up in the lab.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Charizard falling asleep in the original series was kind of pushing it too but at least it was an established plot device I guess. I also didn't like the fact he ditches his entire party except Pikachu when he arrives in a new region :/ I get that Pikachu is the mascot and the anime is more or less an advertising tool for the games so they need to introduce new Pokemon but come on... I'm just "slightly" salty that he never went back for Pidgeot or the 3098923048 pokemon he has holded up in the lab.
    Oh yeah... at least Ritchie was a cool kid though (the one whose Pikachu Charizard was supposed to battle) so I didn't mind it as much as Tobias literally showing up with two legendaries lolol. I heard the Pidgeot thing is a translation mismatch between Japanese and English, but I never looked into it. In the recent Pokemon series (Pokemon Journeys/Pokemon 2019) they are set in Kanto and they've showed Pidgeottos SEVERAL TIMES and despite Pidgeot being missing for like 2 decades now I still hope they're going to bring him back!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Oh yeah... at least Ritchie was a cool kid though (the one whose Pikachu Charizard was supposed to battle) so I didn't mind it as much as Tobias literally showing up with two legendaries lolol. I heard the Pidgeot thing is a translation mismatch between Japanese and English, but I never looked into it. In the recent Pokemon series (Pokemon Journeys/Pokemon 2019) they are set in Kanto and they've showed Pidgeottos SEVERAL TIMES and despite Pidgeot being missing for like 2 decades now I still hope they're going to bring him back!
    True. Another reason I dropped the anime was that I really didn't like the BW series. I'm can't pinpoint what I didn't like about it but one thing that did stand out was that Team Rocket being competent villains was really jarring. They'd be comedic relief for like idk at least 10 years up to that point and the 180 was ??? Apart from comedic relief they also had their heartwarming moments so I'm glad that when the arc ended they went back to their silly goofy selves.

Oh. That's disappointing that it was just a translation error :/

I heard that the second main char, Go I think his name was just tossed a Pokeball and caught a Suicune. Hmm... I know this is going to sound like I'm just comparing to the original series but like back in the day when some random tried to capture Entei they went to great lengths and failed but this just happens now?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    188 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    True. Another reason I dropped the anime was that I really didn't like the BW series. I'm can't pinpoint what I didn't like about it but one thing that did stand out was that Team Rocket being competent villains was really jarring. They'd be comedic relief for like idk at least 10 years up to that point and the 180 was ??? Apart from comedic relief they also had their heartwarming moments so I'm glad that when the arc ended they went back to their silly goofy selves.

Oh. That's disappointing that it was just a translation error :/

I heard that the second main char, Go I think his name was just tossed a Pokeball and caught a Suicune. Hmm... I know this is going to sound like I'm just comparing to the original series but like back in the day when some random tried to capture Entei they went to great lengths and failed but this just happens now?
    I heard that BW was not a great series due to a soft-reset of Ash, but many hold XY & XYZ in very high regards, so I'd try that one. I didn't watch either, though, but may go back to watch XY.

And yeah Go has caught a Suicune and some other pretty high tier Pokemon, but idrc I enjoy it. If you look online it's just people whinging about this and basically everything about the new anime, but I honestly enjoy hahah. Can't take Pokemon too seriously, you know? It's just a kid's show.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 19h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Like a lot of people, I would have to say mine started with Sailor Moon.
    Which, at the time, I didnt even know was an "Anime". I just thought it was a regular cartoon. After, that I believe I went into Pokemon.

I really should get back into watching some more, but I just get overwhelmed with so many different ones to watch. Especially the "popular" ones that people keep telling me to get into.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Ismira (05-05-2022)