Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When or how did you discover anime?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

When or how did you discover anime?

Ask and you shall receive @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links). Hopefully it'll be something we can talk about??? I'm sure many of us have stories to tell.

As a rock dweller I probably got into it pretty late compared to everyone else. Like whenever something was popular, I hated it. Like the fact that I hated the Harry Potter series and then got hooked in after the hype was over. ... I don't know the reason for it but it seems to be a reoccuring thing for me. Back on track to anime though. I think I got into it when Bleach was the thing in school to talk about. That was possibly year 8 and everyone was into the Shinigami thing and pretending reapers where invisible. So naturally, being pretty low down on the social ladder I figured it would probably be a good idea to learn what it was about. I think I was a bit too eager though because I became known as the girl that would talk to everyone about Bleach @.@ I ended up achieving the exact opposite of what I intended but hey I guess I ended up a some what cultured person at the end of high school.

Though I guess Pokemon is anime so my weeb career began in primary school... Hmm.

(Starting a thread before bed is probably a terrible idea)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firedrops For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (05-02-2022),Emerchy (05-02-2022),Ismira (05-05-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (06-19-2022),TsUNaMy WaVe (05-02-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Ah, such a good question!

I guess like you said it started with Pokemon, DBZ, Digimon etc, but I didn't really get into Anime properly until I watched my first Ghibli movie.

I'd heard of Sprited Away and seen it in the video store when I was a kid but was never tempted to watch it. The first Ghibli movie I watched was Totoro when I was 19/20 ish and I absolutely loved it!
    I think that's when I fell in love with Japan too, I definitely plan to go one day and I'm betting it will be a very hectic packed holiday, so much to do

After Totoro I've watched most of the Ghibli library and then I discovered things like Your Name and Mary and the Witch's Flower which introduced me to anime stuff outside of Ghibli, including shows but I still prefer movies

Userbars above are examples of my work, requests are open <3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    It's still more of a just-a-question kind of thread, but it might still work!

Anyway, here's my story:
    I grew up with cartoons since I was born basically, many of which were anime (like Tao Tao, Moomins, and all of those oldies). But the first time I could actually tell the differences between anime and other cartoons was when I was around 4 or 5 years old. And since then anime became my favorite cartoons to watch. Mainly Digimon, but also Pokemon, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc.
    When I 12 or so, I suddenly had the bright idea to check if Digimon has more than just the 4 seasons that were on TV at the time. And I got lucky to discover Digimon Savers as it just started airing. That was the first time I watched anime on the internet, in Japanese, subbed to English (subbed anime to my own language was pretty much non-existent back then, and it's still pretty rare now).
    That's how I discovered that huge world that accompanies me to this day I owe a lot to anime, as it definitely was part of what shaped who I am today. And also watching it with English subs improved my English immensely!

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-02-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    I was six or seven years old. My dad had somehow got some bootleg copy of the first English release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind on VHS that he simply labeled as "The Bug Movie." My brother and I watched it practically daily for a couple summers as kids. Still my favorite movie ever, I just dragged a bunch of friends with me to go see a screening of it in theater a couple of weeks ago xD

I want to say the next exposure was manga, Usagi Yojimbo. My dad's a comic collector and used to get me issues when he'd see them around.

Got big into Pokemon, Monster Rancher, and Digimon and I think that pretty much solidified my love of anime. I can't remember a time in my life when I was never exposed to it, which is kinda amazing tbh for a kid from extremely rural Texas growing up in the days before the internet.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-02-2022),Ferengi (09-21-2022),TsUNaMy WaVe (05-02-2022)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    404 times
    Time Online
    83d 7h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 9m
    Oh dear, sure like almost everyone haha. But mainly my brother's fault.

He would always fight me over the remote tv control so I ended seeing DBZ, Knights of the Zodiac, Captain Tsubasa, Ranma 1/2...

That's how it slowly started. Later it was me searching for animes with a very slow internet and virus everywhere lol How things have changed.

My first manga? Blame of an old friend definitely. Death Note. And I loved it.

Next anime/manga? Jojolion ofc!! But prolly gotta take some time because I read this saga along with my hubby and he's not always on mood after a long day of work. But eventually we'll get there =)

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-02-2022),Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    The conversation doesn't have to revolve around the question but it's more of an ice-breaker

I never actually got into Ghibli films. I think I was too focused on how pretty the scenes were rather than the actually story itself. The same for the Shinkai films I think.

Ah. <_< The other question that divides people. Subbed or Dubbed?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to firedrops For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-03-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    23d 17h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    hmmm, i think i was first exposed to anime as a kid watching og naruto, inuyasha, etc on toonami late at night
    also watched studio ghibli movies with the family (i watched graveyard of fireflies as a kid and that was an emotional rollercoaster for my 8 yo self) LOL

i only started "seriously" watching anime maybe around high school and i think the first anime i finished was ouran high school

also i am personally a subbedd anime watcher, but i understand people either not wanting to read subtitles, lazy, etc. watching dubbed
    i feel like a majority of the dubbed english voice actors are mediocre (not all, but a lot), in comparison to subbed japanese voice actors

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    404 times
    Time Online
    83d 7h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 9m
    I do a mix, dubbed or subbed. If voices are decente/good I don't mind sub.

I guess that's to blame on childhood animes haha. What do you all think about the remakes ??

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I couldn’t tell you *when* exactly but rough circa 1997. It was Sailor Moon. My mom has told me that I loved watching it on tv when I was a little kid.
    I remember I had a few Sailor Moon dolls, and I vividly remember having a Sailor Moon sweatshirt that I wore in one of my photos from my day care. I wish I could find it!

Then as I got older, I watched Digimon, Pokemon, Hamtaro, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo MewMew (or MewMew Power as I believe it was called in English), InuYasha, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club. You know, the usual

I’ve fallen in and out of anime phases over the years if anything, but I always find my way back.

Also to answer the above question: I can’t definitively pick one versus the other. I like dubs as long as they’re done well, but I also do like subs for the more “authentic/true” experience.

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-03-2022),Ferengi (09-21-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    Must have been when I was a kid, in school! I knew someone that was really into it and was introduced to anime/manga that way. First one was Naruto, then it was Bleach, and the rest is history x'D I'd also go to comic cons and cosplay, there was always a great anime community there, so I'd always get some awesome suggested from them

*that's rough buddy*

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (05-03-2022)