6/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    53d 3h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m

Cool Childhood gaming memories

Hi friends I am sure most who were a child when Neopets first came out can say they have been playing since then - but I am curious what other games you all have fond memories of playing as a kid? We have an array of ages here as well as folks from all over the world so I am excited to hear all of the different games, it is really interesting to me knowing what people hold dear in their childhood or teenage memories.

I have a couple things that come to mind when I think of games from my childhood - of course, that is a wide array of time and I am also counting my preteenhood too, but that time frame makes way for even more games to be included. I will not list them all, but rather my memories surrounding certain games. Please feel free to either note your favorites or share a list of all the games you remember fondly

One "set" of games that come to mind are from the Sega Genesis. I actually did not own a Gensis itself, but instead I had the Volume II Plug n Play from I believe 2004 or 2005. From this, I played Sonic 2, Alex Kidd, and Ecco The Dolphin.

Sonic 2 is a classic of course, I do not think it needs much introduction. I actually looked up playthroughs for Alex Kidd (Miracle World) and Ecco the other day because I wanted to scratch an itch in my memories - I had a ton of fun playing Alex Kidd but admittedly Ecco the Dolphin always felt too eerie for me so I never got far in my play through when I was younger.

Another game I have vivid memories of is called Otto's Magic Blocks. I believe this was from 2003 or 2004, it was a PC game from Wild Tangent. We had one computer at that time (with a big old brick of a monitor of course) that was not really used for anything but work related things, but Otto was on it. It is a very colorful, simple, and cute game

I definitely have more game memories surrounding series like Animal Crossing (starting with GC of course), Viva Pinata, a plethora of random movie-based Gamecube games like Open Season (why was that game so fun?), Sims City, Sims Kingdom... as well as websites such as MyScene, the original Barbie.com, Addicting Games, Post Cereal Big Mouth (anyone?)

What games do you look back on fondly? I would especially love to hear about titles that are not commonly discussed

userbar by lyrichord and drawings by wooloo, hollow, honeycomb, & sugarbee, respectively
    thank you all!
    happy happy SUMMER

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Alister (04-12-2022),Ariealle (04-11-2022),Autobot (04-11-2022),Buizel (04-11-2022),Charmander (07-23-2022),DarkSkies (04-11-2022),Ghastly (04-11-2022),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (08-20-2022),hearts (08-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    10d 6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    my grandpa is the reason i started playing video games. we used to play super mario bros 3 together all the time when i was a kid. back before strategy guides & the internet, he had boxes full of homemade maps and guides and like lists of where secret areas and stuff were. answers for puzzles. not just for mario but all those old games. growing up i was really into zelda & suikoden and i still replay all those games every couple of years.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shazi For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-11-2022),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (08-20-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    23d 16h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    i remember playing mario kart with my friends on our gameboy advances, and we had like a four-way link cable that connected all our games. at night, we'd have to play by the light since the advances weren't backlit and i remember always driving into walls or missing turns cuz i couldn't see LMAO

pokemon ruby was the first pokemon game i played and i remember very vividly that i'd go beat the elite four, catch rayquaza and latios, and then start the game over again with a different starter/team; i remember it being a lot of fun as a kid. now i'm too busy obsessing over nature/evs/ivs whenever i play pokemon!

i was first introduced to neopets from a family friend, and the same family friend introduced me to starcraft. starcraft was definitely the game i was super obsessed with growing up, mostly because i sucked really bad (granted they tried teaching me how to play when i was 7 or 8). my friend would make us go 2v6 bots, carry me through the game, and then remove our alliance and proceed to wreck my army/base LMAO
    i most definitely did not have the motor skills to play the game well as a kid (granted i'm still not that good now), but i still hop on starcraft and starcraft 2 every now and then just for old times sake!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghastly For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-11-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    53d 3h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazi View Post
    my grandpa is the reason i started playing video games. we used to play super mario bros 3 together all the time when i was a kid. back before strategy guides & the internet, he had boxes full of homemade maps and guides and like lists of where secret areas and stuff were. answers for puzzles. not just for mario but all those old games. growing up i was really into zelda & suikoden and i still replay all those games every couple of years.
    Omg yes, handwritten or store bought game guides (their earlier versions)!! I remember making so many notes about Animal Crossing Gamecube, I believe there was a hard copy guide for it but it can be more fun making your own guides/notes. I remember when my brother found out the cheat code to get Super Sonic mode on Sonic 2, we did not know what to call it at the time but we of course knew of Super Saiyan form from Dragon Ball so we just assumed it was a crossover and called it that.

userbar by lyrichord and drawings by wooloo, hollow, honeycomb, & sugarbee, respectively
    thank you all!
    happy happy SUMMER

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

♥ Shazi ♥ (04-12-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    I have so many memories gaming as a kid - I still game and play some of these classics!

Spyro 2 (PS1) - First Spyro game I ever picked out in a GAME store. I have spent hours playing this game, I adore the OST and level designs (the skyboxes in this game are amazing!) and I genuinely think it's one of the best Spyro games in the trilogy. Really memorable levels and villain! The Reignited trilogy did the games justice!

Tekken 3 & Tekken Tag - Tekken 3 was the first PS1 game I'd ever played, again super memorable OST and characters. Just a sick fighting game. Tekken Tag was my first PS2 game I owned - I owned the platinum copy that came with my PS2 when I was a kid. I remember getting it for Christmas!

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 - I don't understand the plot but heck I love this series regardless lmao.

FF VII (PS1) - Classic. Amazing game. Nuff said.

Mario All Stars (SNES) - Specifically Mario 3. One of my favourite Mario games ever!

Sonic (Sega Megadrive) - First Sonic game I played. I never did get all those diamonds in the end D:

Gex, Deep Cover Gecko (PS1) - Honestly I thought this game was wacky but I remember putting in countless hours to beat it.

I spent so many hours playing these games after school. Really great memories.

*that's rough buddy*

(you need an account to see links)

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Autobot (04-11-2022),Ghast (04-12-2022)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    404 times
    Time Online
    83d 7h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 9m
    From the games I used to play before I did love Spyro the dragon, I spent hours playing and discovering the worlds. I still remember the music, some years ago I downloaded it on PC and played again (my niece got the wii version).

Another ones I love are Kirby Dream Land (2??) I used to go to rent the cassette with my sister when I was very little c: And Yoshi island!! Where Mario is a baby and there are multicolor yoshis, god I loved that. Again some years ago out of nostalgic I downloaded on my laptop and finished it again while ignoring my college classes lol

Donkey Kong trilogy, Mario, Killer Instinct, Galaga, the zombies ate my neighbors!! Ahhh so many memories

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-12-2022)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    I remember not having a memory card for my N64 so every time my family and I played it, we had to start each game allllll over each time lol! We had the Toy Story game and Tarzan game and we were SO upset each time we lost all our lives because it meant we started the game over from the beginning lmao.

For the Gamecube, me and my nephew used to plan Mario Strikers (soccer for Mario) online religiously. We were in the top 10 at one point so I'm SUPER excited for the new soccer that's coming out because I plan to put a lot of hours into it as well for old time sakes.

Did anyone also play Chibi Robo? That game was my second fav for the Gamecube after Strikers god I loved it so much

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-12-2022)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    54d 8h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    The mention of Viva Pinata has be going down a tunnel even though the only one I ever played was the one for Xbox 360, but it was arguably one of the cutest farming-sim games I'd played!!! Breaking up fights between Pinatas (raisants and buzzlegums... please behave for 5 minutes i'm begging you) was one of the harder parts and also getting rid of that floating son of a bitch that comes around and makes your pinatas sick >:C

On the same genre, The Harvest Moon games were cute! the first one I played was Save the Homeland (unfortunately I never saved them lol) Animal Parade/Tree of Tranquility were my favorite.

The Sly Cooper series is a big fave; I think they came out with a 4th one after supposedly ending the series at 3 but I never played it. There was also a trailer of some sort hinting at a movie but that was years ago; wouldn't be surprised to learn that the thing's been scrapped

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Autobot For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-12-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    I have played quite a lot as a kid, and I'm quite sad how the older I got the less video games I played... I just almost never had the right console or money to get games for the consoles I did have (which were basically... a PC, GBA and later PS2).
    Anyway, here's a list of the ones I remember pretty vividly from my childhood:

- Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - such a cute and fun game! And I never met another person who knows this game outside of my family so that's kinda funny lmao.

- Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - I didn't actually own it, but I played it whenever I went to visit my cousin (which was a lot). Neither my cousin nor myself really knew how to play this efficiently but we still had a lot of fun lol.

(PS2+ era)

- Kingdom Hearts 2 - I actually never had KH1 as a kid. I played 2 first after reading (and barely registering) a thorough summary of KH1 and COM lol. But yeah I still loved it a lot, and felt like I understood the story even though I probably didn't lol.

- Sonic Adventure DX & Sonic Heroes - I always loved Sonic (and played some earlier games wen I was 4-5 but I can't remember which ones) and having only these 2 games led me to play them A LOT lol.

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-12-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    3d 17h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by TsUNaMy WaVe View Post
    I have played quite a lot as a kid, and I'm quite sad how the older I got the less video games I played... I just almost never had the right console or money to get games for the consoles I did have (which were basically... a PC, GBA and later PS2).
    Anyway, here's a list of the ones I remember pretty vividly from my childhood:

- Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - such a cute and fun game! And I never met another person who knows this game outside of my family so that's kinda funny lmao.

- Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - I didn't actually own it, but I played it whenever I went to visit my cousin (which was a lot). Neither my cousin nor myself really knew how to play this efficiently but we still had a lot of fun lol.

(PS2+ era)

- Kingdom Hearts 2 - I actually never had KH1 as a kid. I played 2 first after reading (and barely registering) a thorough summary of KH1 and COM lol. But yeah I still loved it a lot, and felt like I understood the story even though I probably didn't lol.

- Sonic Adventure DX & Sonic Heroes - I always loved Sonic (and played some earlier games wen I was 4-5 but I can't remember which ones) and having only these 2 games led me to play them A LOT lol.

YOOOO! I remember Croc! I still have one of the original PS1 game discs (pretty sure it's Croc 1). It definitely fell into the same vein as games like Spyro, or Banjo Kazooie on the N64.

Growing up, I was super fortunate to have a nerdy dad who loved computers and tech, so we would go to computer trade shows and get to look at all kinds of software and hardware for various aspects ranging from graphic design to video game console hardware hacks.
    It was these trade shows that ended up introducing me to old PC games like Commander Keen, point-n-click Humongous Entertainment games like Spy Fox, and even really obscure games like a Commander Keen sorta-clone called Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

I definitely fell hard into the PS1 and PS2 scene, but like you, I never really kept up with consoles after that. I mainly stick to upgrading my PC and emulating older games if I feel like playing them.
    Last edited by Alienator; 04-12-2022 at 02:30 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alienator For This Useful Post:

Ghast (04-12-2022),TsUNaMy WaVe (04-13-2022)