Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What animes would you recommend a newbie?

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Oh, awesome! For sure on FMA. Which series are you watching? The original, or Brotherhood?
    I HIGHLY recommend watching Brotherhood. It's so much better than the original as it follows the plot from the manga.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Uhh I didn't know there were two haha, I'm currently finishing a randon netflix series before I wanted to start on Psycho-pass but might start with FMA instead. What's the difference between the two?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    for anthro animals, I really liked Brand New Animal on Netflix. The plot isn't the most involved but it's got a ton of energy and a really fun animation style.

For plot twists, drama, and horror I really liked The Promised Neverland. It was not an anime/manga I saw myself getting into but after the first couple of episodes I was hooked. The story is about kids living in an orphanage where every so often one of them is adopted or aged out and everyone is so happy for them to have found a new home, except of course the orphanage turns out to be a front for something nefarious instead. The anime focuses on the kids' trying to figure out what tf is really going on and how to escape it.

it doesn't seem to hit much of your preferred genres but I will always recommend Yona of the Dawn to everyone always. Drama/action/some comedy, fantasy, romance. Spoiled and naïve princess gets a real ugly shock when her father is murdered by someone she's very close to and she's driven from her home. The anime follows what she gets up to after that, which is centered around going out to try and find some legendary part-dragon warriors to recruit as part of her new personal army/body guards so she can continue to live instead of getting hunted down. It's SO well done. Character development is a huge theme and it has so much heart to it. I enjoyed the first episode out of the gate but halfway through the third episode I realized it's something very special.

teeny tiny spoiler for anyone else who has seen it

I am also a huge Noragami fan. I think the manga is way better than the anime but the anime is still definitely worth checking out as well. Modern fantasy setting, comedy, action, drama. It's about a small-time, homeless god named Yato who will take any job for 5 yen, from fixing plumbing and finding lost cats to slaying demons. In this setting, human ghosts can be recruited by gods to become shinki (or regalia in the English translation) - when partnered up with the gods, they can transfer into weapons, armor, or other items. The first arc is about Yato recruiting a new shinki and their attempts to figure out how to get along without literally killing each other. Second arc introduces Yato's conflict with another god, a big-time famous warrior god, who despises him for some incident between the two of them in the past, and her attempts to hunt him down for revenge. Lots of character development, very likable characters, interesting plot that gets very twisty, especially in the manga.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (04-04-2022),Ice (04-04-2022)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Uhh I didn't know there were two haha, I'm currently finishing a randon netflix series before I wanted to start on Psycho-pass but might start with FMA instead. What's the difference between the two?
    The original follows the main plot up to a certain point and then spins off into something totally different where Brotherhood follows the plot more closely and has a much much better ending. I’d say it’s worth to watch both but that takes so much time so I’d recommend just watching brotherhood.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    42d 5h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    I'm not a huge anime watcher as I find it difficult to get committed to shows but I highly recommend Trigun! Its an anime with clear western influence and a good sense of humor. Its plot doesn't really start until half way through but I enjoy both the episodic episodes and the overarching plot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wandas For This Useful Post:

Ugly (04-04-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Does brotherhood shows the same things as the original one? Or are there some differences?
    Will I miss out on some stuff if I watch the one or another ;o;

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    443 times
    Time Online
    64d 9h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Just here to throw Demon Slayer into the recommendation list. I feel like it's a very beginners friendly show and it has action (and demons ofc)!

As for The Promised Neverland that was suggested before me - I can't full heartedly recommend the anime (neither seasons, but season 2 is where the real garbage is), but the manga is gold.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    945 times
    Time Online
    116d 16h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Seconding Alister's recommendation of Noragami - I read a decent ways through the manga and it is really quite good. (Plus wonderful, gorgeous art which is a huge plus to me)

I know you said no bajillion episode series but really Hunter x Hunter (there is a 1999 ver and a 2011 remake) is SO FUCKING GOOD if you love fantasy action shounen. I grew up with the 1999 one and it is still easily my favorite anime to this day. Great characters, intriguing story, super cool world building/powers. I personally think it's a lot more palatable than your average shounen like Naruto/Bleach that a lot of the times falls into that flat, memey shounen category. HxH has funny comedic moments but tons of heart breaking/serious ones too. Cannot recommend this enough.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandas View Post
    I'm not a huge anime watcher as I find it difficult to get committed to shows but I highly recommend Trigun! Its an anime with clear western influence and a good sense of humor. Its plot doesn't really start until half way through but I enjoy both the episodic episodes and the overarching plot.
    This is me too! I've started so many shows then drifted away from them, I will have to check out Trigun, thank you!

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    27d 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    No Game No Life

Selling my NC Closet & UC Mutant and Darigan Hissi