Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What animes would you recommend a newbie?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

What animes would you recommend a newbie?

I've never really gotten into anime as much as I wanted. All my friends are weebs and I am the only one that doesn't know anything. I really want to start watching some and was hoping you could help.
    I have watched a few, but the only few I can remember are Black Butler, Kekkaishi, Beastar, Valkyrie Drive and obviously pokemon.
    Please throw some at me! And if you could, please tell me what it is about ;o;

Preferences:
    No animes with 45439579563 epiodes, I like anthro animals, I like the genres action, drama, horror or things with paranormal stuff and demons.
    Good plot with twists are loved. Maybe some with subtle adult stuff? Like Valkyrie Drive has? Although I can't call that subtle

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Anime is really difficult to get into if you don't know where to start! Hopefully your friends can kick you some good recommendations! Thanks for posting a little bit about what you like, too. Sometimes it's hard to rec stuff because there's just... so much.

Newer Animes

The first thing that comes to mind when you say action is "Boku no Hero Academia." It's really big right now, and is very popular - it centers around kids with superpowers who go to superhero school and fight evil. It has... several seasons? But not a crazy amount of episodes.

Something that's also "action" but less shounen is "SK8 the Infinity." It's got its drama moments and its happy moments, but the actual skateboarding matches are very action-packed.

"ODDTAXI" - anthro animals! Driving taxis! And lots of twists and turns.

"Tokyo Ghoul" - protagonist deals with cannibalistic ghouls in many ways.

"PSYCHO-PASS" - cyberpunk psychological thriller!!

"Another" - probably for intermediate viewers, but I'm putting it here because you mentioned you like horror. It's basically "Final Destination: The Anime." Lol

Classic, "Everyone knows 'em" Animes

"Samurai Champloo" is also a good action anime that has a couple of subtle adult nods. It's set in historical Japan but has loads of action sequences and a kickass soundtrack.

"Cowboy Bebop" is a classic, of course - a noir action anime that is pretty adult but only really in its themes. Also with a kickass soundtrack.

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood." Action-packed anime with drama, horror, and demons. You can't go wrong!

"Death Note" - this is going to hit your paranormal / demon request. A regular guy finds a notebook that kills anyone whose name he writes in it.

"Yu Yu Hakusho." It's best if I sum it up from a copy/paste: "Would you become a detective for ghostly affairs in exchange for resurrection? Yusuke Urameshi finds himself in such a situation after being struck by a car. His innate fighting spirit and street smarts are recognized by the son of the Afterlife’s ruler, and the rest is history." Later in the series it becomes kind of tournament-y, though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 18h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Seconding full metal alchemist: brotherhood. It’s a classic, and a very common ‘intro to anime’ for people who aren’t into anime, although on the longer end.

If you like plot twists/drama, I recommend Steins Gate, Code Geass, or Erased!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Ohhhh thank you!! I will note them all down!
    I might start with PSYCHO-PASS and Fullmetal Alchemist after. I've actually watched the life action movie version and kinda liked it haha

What platform do you watch anime on?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 18h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Netflix and Crunchyroll are my go-tos (Netflix only because I watch a lot of non-anime shows there too). I think there are decent free alternatives out there as well but Im a sucker for ad-free streaming

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    134 times
    Time Online
    246d 19h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 24m
    Vanitas no carte just finished it's last episode yesterday, I like it a lot!

Although the first chapters might seem a bit slow after that it really caught me

Userbar by ♥ Infected ♥ - Watercolor clefairy by ♥ Wooloo ♥ - Wink cle/avatar art by ♥ DankRUSE ♥ - Pumpkin cle by ♥ hearts ♥

Icon by ♥ mothman ♥ / ♥ sugarbee (heart cle) ♥

Zenitsu has best cookiez

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Fullmetal Alchemist for suree!!
    As per my signature I would recommend madoka magica haha

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 3h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Based on things I enjoyed without being a huge anime person - Fullmetal Alchemist as everyone says - lots of action and some horror moments.

And on the flipside, Fruits Basket - soft, funny and emotional with characters that change into animals.

I loved both. I also loved a fairly short anime called Ergo Proxy which was like... philosophical sci fi action?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Thank you thank you !!
    I'm already excited about Fullmetal Alchemist!

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,754 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Thank you thank you !!
    I'm already excited about Fullmetal Alchemist!
    Oh, awesome! For sure on FMA. Which series are you watching? The original, or Brotherhood?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (04-03-2022)