Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Anime/Manga character/trope can you not stand?

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    355d 11h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m

What Anime/Manga character/trope can you not stand?

Hey all! Thought I'd start a thread like this because some anime/manga characters get on my last nerve as of recent. Also, please try to tag spoilers just in case!

To start off, this is a spoiler to the current up to date chapter of My Hero Academia.

Lastly, and this is common really, sometimes some manga authors push fan service too far. Every now and then is...tolerable, I guess, but series like Fire Force push it to such an extreme and unnecessary level, that I dropped the manga for the time being. Hopefully I can come back to it in the future.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-31-2022),Ice (03-16-2022),Ismira (03-28-2022)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Every isekai just does NOT hit for me anymore. Most of them are very formulaic and you can always count on the T&A fanservice with some generous bikinis (somehow, there's always bikinis).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-15-2022),Emerchy (04-20-2022)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    355d 11h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Every isekai just does NOT hit for me anymore. Most of them are very formulaic and you can always count on the T&A fanservice with some generous bikinis (somehow, there's always bikinis).
    I honestly think that currently we're oversaturated with these kinds of mangas. Like, I haven't read the slime one (because I think this manga falls in this category?) but I heard it's super good, and I've also have read the entirety of the shield hero light novel and manga currently and absolutely love them. But as of the recent few years it's just getting out of hand. Every manga title now is " -main character- transported to X world" and it's not even an enjoyable type of story anymore.

Buimeleon made by Hare

Sea Weasel Pokemon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Stardust (03-15-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    59/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    23d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Character: Horny freak, see the grape hair boy from MHA. The horniness and willingness to sexualize teenage and young girls in the animanga artist space is seriously stressful ESPECIALLY considering there are actual convicted pedos allowed back with open arms (see: Rouroni Kenshin's author) while people who smoke weed get fucking kicked out and blacklisted for their entire lives. Really fucking horrid and it makes it obvious there's a will to blacklist certain authors but NOT FOR WHAT THEY SHOULD ACTUALLY BE BLACKLISTED FOR.

Trope/genre: Isekais. There's only a handful of good isekai. Either those weren't INTENTIONALLY isekai (written before the genre, written for other genres and just happens to use the trope of travelling to another world, etc) or they actively avoid being wish fulfillment for young men who desperately want the power of god and anime on their side plus a harem of hot girls they don't actually have to do any real emotional work to have relationships with. (Poly? Being vulnerable and open and treating your partners like people? No thanks!)
    Isekai can be done really well, it's also a trope that's being used in American animation now (Star Vs the Forces of Evil, Centaurworld, Owl House and Amphibia all involve travelling to other worlds!) but tbh it's best when either it's person from fantasy world comes to our world or both worlds are weird fucked up fantasy worlds

Also video game mechanics as worldbuilding are getting so fucking boring.

It sucks so hard that animanga now feels like a factory spitting out the same exact garbage every season to make money off of the misery of dudes who hate their jobs and don't know how to see women as anything but sex objects. I know I'm being harsh but the characters in these anime aren't written like they're actual women they're fantasies of women!
    Last edited by Rhymes with Witch; 03-15-2022 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I'm fucking unhinged apparently
    you talk to me you answer to my pig moomoo

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rhymes with Witch For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-31-2022),Buizel (03-16-2022),Ice (03-16-2022),Ismira (03-28-2022)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 7h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    I honestly think that currently we're oversaturated with these kinds of mangas. Like, I haven't read the slime one (because I think this manga falls in this category?) but I heard it's super good, and I've also have read the entirety of the shield hero light novel and manga currently and absolutely love them. But as of the recent few years it's just getting out of hand. Every manga title now is " -main character- transported to X world" and it's not even an enjoyable type of story anymore.
    The most recent isekai I watched was "I'm a spider so what" and I loved it, but I did watch another where a guys mom got transported into the isekai with him and it was unnecessarily horny. My friends and I turned it off because it was like really uncomfortable to me.

I really hate the unnecessary sexualization in romcom anime - especially teen centered ones. If I'm watching adults it's whatever, but I watched a rom anime, where they get a specific partner on their 13 birthday, and this guy meets up with his school crush and they made out on a bench??? But the detail in which kids making out was illustrated had me turn off the entire series.
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-16-2022)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Tbh I was just talking about this with a friend the other day - it seems that most anime nowadays (at least in sports anime, which is what I watch) there's this trend to pair a high-energy character with a low-energy character, and those will be the two protagonists.

It seems like a low-effort, half-assed way to try to induce a fandom by providing shippable characters. But low- and high-energy characters are not what make ships shippable...!

They gotta have chemistry. So much anime recently has had no chemistry between the protagonists. I can barely watch because it feels like I'm being pandered to. ("You should ship these characters! They're opposites, so they'd go well together! Look, here's one being cheerful, while the other is sad!")

Like, I loved SK8, but I honestly couldn't care less about Reki/Langa because it seemed like it was the expectation that they'd be The Ship of the series.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-16-2022),Ice (03-16-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Oooof okay. The first character that comes to mind is Orihime from Bleach. The character had a lot of potential, especially in the Soul Society arc.

Essentially it's her helplessness - that does get addressed in the manga/anime, to which she tries to go into battle, but the rest of the shinigami are against it because they felt like she would get in the way. The best thing about her? Her healing abilities. Otherwise her super power is to yell "Kurosaki-Kun" every second, which gets really jarring. In fact I think there was a countdown video on Youtube on the amount of times she says "Kurosaki-Kun" in the anime lmao.

I basically find her to be an incredibly annoying character, as much as I wanted to like her through out the manga/anime.

And that's the sort of anime/manga trope I dislike xD

*that's rough buddy*

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-16-2022),Ice (03-16-2022)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    355d 11h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhymes with Witch View Post
    Character: Horny freak, see the grape hair boy from MHA. The horniness and willingness to sexualize teenage and young girls in the animanga artist space is seriously stressful ESPECIALLY considering there are actual convicted pedos allowed back with open arms (see: Rouroni Kenshin's author) while people who smoke weed get fucking kicked out and blacklisted for their entire lives. Really fucking horrid and it makes it obvious there's a will to blacklist certain authors but NOT FOR WHAT THEY SHOULD ACTUALLY BE BLACKLISTED FOR.

Trope/genre: Isekais. There's only a handful of good isekai. Either those weren't INTENTIONALLY isekai (written before the genre, written for other genres and just happens to use the trope of travelling to another world, etc) or they actively avoid being wish fulfillment for young men who desperately want the power of god and anime on their side plus a harem of hot girls they don't actually have to do any real emotional work to have relationships with. (Poly? Being vulnerable and open and treating your partners like people? No thanks!)
    Isekai can be done really well, it's also a trope that's being used in American animation now (Star Vs the Forces of Evil, Centaurworld, Owl House and Amphibia all involve travelling to other worlds!) but tbh it's best when either it's person from fantasy world comes to our world or both worlds are weird fucked up fantasy worlds

Also video game mechanics as worldbuilding are getting so fucking boring.

It sucks so hard that animanga now feels like a factory spitting out the same exact garbage every season to make money off of the misery of dudes who hate their jobs and don't know how to see women as anything but sex objects. I know I'm being harsh but the characters in these anime aren't written like they're actual women they're fantasies of women!
    I remember that author! Gosh, and people tried to justify him coming back by saying "his actions and his art are separate and should be treated as such"???? Fucking no, his behavior overall is gross and the mental gymnastics people go to to defend it is staggering.

And yeah I'm also tired of any manga/anime having that one character that is constantly horny. It seems like most authors only build one or maybe two relationships from the ground up but everyone outside of that pairing is free to be as gross as they want.

Lastly, I'm convinced that animes that go way over the top to explain video game mechanics in was too much detail haven't actually played a video game lmao.

Buimeleon made by Hare

Sea Weasel Pokemon

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 11h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    I'm sure I'll think of something a lot more character specific after I wake up a bit, but off the top of my head:

oh wait I did think of another one. "No it's cool bro she's actually a 2000 year old vampire/spirit/mystical whatever, she only LOOKS like she's 12 years old"
    Last edited by Alister; 03-16-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typosss

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-16-2022),Cat Purrson (03-16-2022),Clefairy (03-29-2022),Double.Trouble (03-16-2022),Hollow (03-16-2022),Ice (03-16-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    947 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

What Anime/Manga character/trope can you not stand?

Oh my god may be easier asking me what I DO like

I cannot STAND overly quiet/shy (esp female) characters where being shy or unable to speak up is like their whole personality. Drives me up the fucking wall. I will slap a bitch. I suppose this is adjacent to damsel in distress/helplessness too. But generally in franchises with lots of characters and each has like one archetype so there’s a character for everyone, I generally end up actively disliking the quiet ones. It’s infuriating I guess from a third person perspective cause I just want to shake them.

Also very much hate the harem genre when it is done very tastelessly, i.e one extremely average or subpar guy getting lusted over 5 different types of (overly sexualized) girls. Boils my fucking blood. Okay I guess I am not the target demographic for those self insert make lonely good for nothing otaku men in japan feel better about themselves series but still makes me disgusted LOL

Definitely an offshoot of that is just over sexualization/I can’t remember the word right now but series with lots of sex baiting (you know what I’m talking about like anything tagged with ecchi but tries to have a story/plot) which is aggravating too because it’s absolutely not necessary and more often than not is just distracting from what actual narrative they might be trying to piss out. UGH WHAT IS THE WORD anyway if I want to see tits and ass I would watch actual hentai I don’t need a panty flash or gigantic tits falling on your face every other second in normal anime

Yakitate Japan is one of my favorite series from back in the day and I want to say they started the food-so-good-your-clothes-fly-off trend but series like Shokugeki took it way too far and it’s just straight up distasteful (funny for a food series) anyway yeah.

Edit: it was right there in Brittany’s first post lol I was referring to fan service
    Last edited by Ice; 03-16-2022 at 10:31 AM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Alister (03-16-2022),Ambient (03-16-2022),Buizel (03-16-2022),Cat Purrson (03-16-2022),Clefairy (03-29-2022)