25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m

The Legend of Vox Machina

Idk if any of you guys are fans of Critical Role. Here in my house, my SO is a HUGE CR nerd and I like it but I've never watched them play the first campaign. However, I was super amped when they started a Kickstarter that absolutely blew up in order to turn Vox Machina into an adult animated series. Amazon ended up buying the rights and a second season was greenlit before the first season aired.

Well the show has wrapped up the first season now and as someone who has no idea WHAT is coming, I am AMPED.

Have any of you guys watched the animated show? The original campaign? Do you wanna talk about it? It's okay if you don't, sometimes I'm ass at replying or forget I start threads but lets talk VOX MACHINA

(for the record, I loved their second campaign, The Mighty Nein and I am LIVING for this third campaign that is airing right now).

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    Idk if any of you guys are fans of Critical Role. Here in my house, my SO is a HUGE CR nerd and I like it but I've never watched them play the first campaign. However, I was super amped when they started a Kickstarter that absolutely blew up in order to turn Vox Machina into an adult animated series. Amazon ended up buying the rights and a second season was greenlit before the first season aired.

Well the show has wrapped up the first season now and as someone who has no idea WHAT is coming, I am AMPED.

Have any of you guys watched the animated show? The original campaign? Do you wanna talk about it? It's okay if you don't, sometimes I'm ass at replying or forget I start threads but lets talk VOX MACHINA

(for the record, I loved their second campaign, The Mighty Nein and I am LIVING for this third campaign that is airing right now).

Seems like I'm late to your thread but I watched their show as it aired and dang it was better than I was hoping for! I was starting to listen to C1 but I haven't gotten very far...like episode 20 something. I picked up C3 when they started it but I've fallen behind. I'm trying to catch up but it's hard with limited time! I don't have anyone to talk to about CR because my D&D group doesn't watch. I'll try to catch up and we can chat about it sometime hopefully :-)

BTW who is your favorite character from each campaign? I know next to nothing about C2 but I'd be interested nonetheless in all of your picks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to darkzilla For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (05-09-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzilla View Post
    Seems like I'm late to your thread but I watched their show as it aired and dang it was better than I was hoping for! I was starting to listen to C1 but I haven't gotten very far...like episode 20 something. I picked up C3 when they started it but I've fallen behind. I'm trying to catch up but it's hard with limited time! I don't have anyone to talk to about CR because my D&D group doesn't watch. I'll try to catch up and we can chat about it sometime hopefully :-)

BTW who is your favorite character from each campaign? I know next to nothing about C2 but I'd be interested nonetheless in all of your picks!
    I am so sorry for the late response, IRL stuff, but omg yes!

So I haven't listened to campaign one at all but I knew about the characters because my SO has been telling me about Critical Role for forever. I have watched all of the Amazon season 1 and Percy is my favorite. I think Taliesin and I are very similar in our character designs sometimes lol

I have listened to bits and pieces of campaign two but not all the way through yet, but I know most of the major plot points. Jester is my hands-down favorite of The Mighty Nein. Teifling is my favorite d&d race and the one I play the most so Laura Bailey cheated and got the default fave but honestly, I really love Jester. She's so different from Vex'ahlia, who I also really really love almost tied with Percy, I just love her.

Campaign three I am not caught up in but I have thus far listened to episodes 1-13 (I listen to them while I'm at work and sparse podcasts between so I'm slow going but I should be able to catch up with this break they're going to have) and honestly, it's a tie. Laudna is my favorite Marisha Ray character. I like Keyleth and Beau was ok but probably my least fave of campaign 2, but Laudna is LIFE. Aesthetically, I am all about this bitch. She is so fucking cool. But I also really fucking love Fearne. The little chaos goblin that she is really speaks to me and is probably my favorite archetype to play in dnd. So it would be equally tied between those two as of now.

I really do like every single character from each campaign. They are all vastly different and have their own voices and personalities. I know CR isn't the norm or expectation for your own TTRPGs because these are professional voice actors/actresses and Matt Mercer's imagination is just incredible. But watching these campaigns, as hapharzardly as I have, have really helped ME in trying to emulate that, become a better roleplayer and a better adventurer all around.

From what you have watched, who are your favorites??

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    I am so sorry for the late response, IRL stuff, but omg yes!

So I haven't listened to campaign one at all but I knew about the characters because my SO has been telling me about Critical Role for forever. I have watched all of the Amazon season 1 and Percy is my favorite. I think Taliesin and I are very similar in our character designs sometimes lol

I have listened to bits and pieces of campaign two but not all the way through yet, but I know most of the major plot points. Jester is my hands-down favorite of The Mighty Nein. Teifling is my favorite d&d race and the one I play the most so Laura Bailey cheated and got the default fave but honestly, I really love Jester. She's so different from Vex'ahlia, who I also really really love almost tied with Percy, I just love her.

Campaign three I am not caught up in but I have thus far listened to episodes 1-13 (I listen to them while I'm at work and sparse podcasts between so I'm slow going but I should be able to catch up with this break they're going to have) and honestly, it's a tie. Laudna is my favorite Marisha Ray character. I like Keyleth and Beau was ok but probably my least fave of campaign 2, but Laudna is LIFE. Aesthetically, I am all about this bitch. She is so fucking cool. But I also really fucking love Fearne. The little chaos goblin that she is really speaks to me and is probably my favorite archetype to play in dnd. So it would be equally tied between those two as of now.

I really do like every single character from each campaign. They are all vastly different and have their own voices and personalities. I know CR isn't the norm or expectation for your own TTRPGs because these are professional voice actors/actresses and Matt Mercer's imagination is just incredible. But watching these campaigns, as hapharzardly as I have, have really helped ME in trying to emulate that, become a better roleplayer and a better adventurer all around.

From what you have watched, who are your favorites??
    Haha no worries, I had several days of IRL stuff too. Yeah Jester sounds like a really cool character and I heard bits of her accent which sold it for me. I'm on episode 19 of campaign 3 but haven't been able to catch up fully either. My favorite aesthetically so far is Orym, his character design is really cool imo. I also really like Dorian as a character, I didn't know Robbie before from anything but his character is so likeable. I do love Laudna, she is a step up for me from Keyleth (but I also haven't seen all of campaign 1 yet). I also just love Travis' characters, they usually aren't my top favorite but he makes me laugh so much! Fearne is hilarious too which is a good change for Ashley in my eyes. I feel like campaign 3's party feels really unique with all of the characters individually but as a group they come together really well. We'll have to keep in touch about this current campaign as it goes along!

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    I'm really amped to see the Chroma Conclave arc animated.

I loved the first season, and thought Percy and Keyleth were done really well. I wasn't a fan of Keyleth in the main campaign, but I never shat on Marisha for it, and was sad she got bullied so much for her character. So...I really liked how powerful they showed Keyleth is, and her insecurities about herself came off better in the animated show, in my opinion.

Still not a huge fan of Scanlan, but that's because I love bards (my fav class) and despise the horny bard trope (and yes I know the character gets more development towards the end of campaign one but my point still stands)
    I kinda found him less funny as time went on.
    "when I say acab, I include tony p"

-Proverb, 2021

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Double.Trouble View Post

I loved the first season, and thought Percy and Keyleth were done really well. I wasn't a fan of Keyleth in the main campaign, but I never shat on Marisha for it, and was sad she got bullied so much for her character. So...I really liked how powerful they showed Keyleth is, and her insecurities about herself came off better in the animated show, in my opinion.

Still not a huge fan of Scanlan, but that's because I love bards (my fav class) and despise the horny bard trope (and yes I know the character gets more development towards the end of campaign one but my point still stands)
    I kinda found him less funny as time went on.
    Yeah, I liked Keyleth a lot in the show. I was a bit neutral and didn't have much like (or dislike) for her in C1, although I haven't finished it yet. I heard about all of the hate and messages Marisha got and was like...wow, why? I recently watched her Between the Sheets interview and it really made me feel for her even more. What she's gone through is nuts and I think her resilience is really admirable. And as a sidenote, her current character Laudna is becoming my sleeper favorite in C3.

I agree with you, Scanlan can be a bit grating but I also can relate...he reminds me of my first D&D character, me not understanding how things worked and trying to be funny but really just being dumb. I'm interested to see his later arc because I've heard a little about what happens but seeing it animated would be cool if we get there.
    $(you need an account to see links)* By the way, what's your favorite subclass for Bard??

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    12d 1h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I know next to nothing about DND but watched this show as it aired-- LOVED it. I really can't wait to see more of it!
    My main gripe was with the bard character (been too long- I forget names)I get why he was written that way but, still annoyed me.
    and NGL I was a little salty when the stealth archer was courting the druid (? elf lady) after all those hints at lack of heterosexuality LMAO

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Yeah, I liked Keyleth a lot in the show. I was a bit neutral and didn't have much like (or dislike) for her in C1, although I haven't finished it yet. I heard about all of the hate and messages Marisha got and was like...wow, why? I recently watched her Between the Sheets interview and it really made me feel for her even more. What she's gone through is nuts and I think her resilience is really admirable. And as a sidenote, her current character Laudna is becoming my sleeper favorite in C3.

I agree with you, Scanlan can be a bit grating but I also can relate...he reminds me of my first D&D character, me not understanding how things worked and trying to be funny but really just being dumb. I'm interested to see his later arc because I've heard a little about what happens but seeing it animated would be cool if we get there.
    $(you need an account to see links)* By the way, what's your favorite subclass for Bard??
    Yeah it was really shitty for her.
    I love Laudna! She's definitely my favorite, along with Chetney.

My fav bard subclass...probably Swords and Spirits. Swords is a ton of fun, and I love the kinda psychic medium flavor of Spirits. I like me some spooky stuff.
    My DM will eventually run Curse of Strahd (though we do mainly homebrew campaigns and he always has a lot of them so it may take a while) but I have either a Spirits Bard or Genie Warlock in my back pocket for that campaign.

-Proverb, 2021

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by TMGC View Post
    NGL I was a little salty when the stealth archer was courting the druid (? elf lady) after all those hints at lack of heterosexuality LMAO
    Yeah, I think in the D&D game Vax is bisexual..maybe they will develop that more next season, we can hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Double.Trouble View Post
    Yeah it was really shitty for her.
    I love Laudna! She's definitely my favorite, along with Chetney.

My fav bard subclass...probably Swords and Spirits. Swords is a ton of fun, and I love the kinda psychic medium flavor of Spirits. I like me some spooky stuff.
    My DM will eventually run Curse of Strahd (though we do mainly homebrew campaigns and he always has a lot of them so it may take a while) but I have either a Spirits Bard or Genie Warlock in my back pocket for that campaign.
    For real! Chetney is hilarious. I enjoy all of them but those two are pushing the top spots for me too.

I've only ever played Bard in a one-shot we did where I was a fever dream character of my Cleric from our main campaign. I went Whispers and that was fun, tried to play it like a nightmare version of myself lol. Swords and Spirits both look really fun, I like martials and the table you get from Spirits looks awesome! My first campaign was Curse of Strahd and it was great, you'll have to let me know how you like it also what type of Genie Warlock are you thinking about? I have a character concept in my backpocket too that would be the Air/Djinni spec. I've heard it's a great class/subclass but haven't been able to try either at all!

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    For real! Chetney is hilarious. I enjoy all of them but those two are pushing the top spots for me too.

I've only ever played Bard in a one-shot we did where I was a fever dream character of my Cleric from our main campaign. I went Whispers and that was fun, tried to play it like a nightmare version of myself lol. Swords and Spirits both look really fun, I like martials and the table you get from Spirits looks awesome! My first campaign was Curse of Strahd and it was great, you'll have to let me know how you like it also what type of Genie Warlock are you thinking about? I have a character concept in my backpocket too that would be the Air/Djinni spec. I've heard it's a great class/subclass but haven't been able to try either at all!
    Yeah I love Swords so much, I do wish though there were more Blade Flourish options that unlocked as you level up. The AC one was awesome and made mine super hard to hit. REALLY fun if you take Shadow Blade at level 10 and upcast it...

I do want to play a Whispers Bard eventually!

I was also thinking of going Djinni! The Efreeti is tempting too. I don't really have a solid concept yet but I'll definitely think of something when the time comes.
    I do love Warlocks, probably my favorite after Bard.
    I previously played an Archfey and Hexblade. The campaign the Hexblade was in died though because of Covid, but to be fair I didn't like the campaign and my character didn't fit. The DM just had no idea what they were doing, there was no story or reason for us to be together, and it was full of DMPCs that stole the spotlight lol.
    I loved the character though, and will keep it in my back pocket for a future campaign where they will fit. They're based off Rick O'Connell from The Mummy and their hex weapon is an Egyptian khopesh.

-Proverb, 2021