Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What books were better than the movies based on them?

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

What books were better than the movies based on them?

Give me some examples of books so well written that the movies based on them didn't do them justice.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    This one's been on my mind since I was reading the tea on wtf was happening with the Fantastic Beasts series (did anyone think Movie 2 made ANY sense at all?? Why is this series called Fantastic Beasts??) so I'll have to go with HP: Goblet of Fire. The movie wasn't bad for what I remember, but it left out a loooooottt. Maybe I'll go back and rewatch the HP movies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Bat (03-28-2022)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,754 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I'll have to go with HP: Goblet of Fire. The movie wasn't bad for what I remember, but it left out a loooooottt.
    I 100% agree! The Goblet of Fire was actually the first Harry Potter book I ever read, and it's what got me hooked on the stories. When I found out that they were making movies, that was the one that I was looking forward to the most, and they whiffed it majorly! The level of detail in the story telling was what captivated me, and they left nearly everything but the main story out of the adaptation! After waiting all that time for the movie, I was super bummed out with what we got. I've secretly hoped that it'll get rebooted as a television-formatted series one of these days. Maybe that will give them the creative free space to tell a more comprehensive version of the story, complete with all the nuance and subplots that made the universe interesting!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-28-2022),Cherubi (03-28-2022),Ismira (03-28-2022),kittyray (03-28-2022),Shawn (04-03-2022)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    353d 19h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 11m
    Back when I actually read, I very much liked the Eragon book series. So, naturally, I was super excited to see the movie adaption that came out some years ago.

Needless to say, it was horrible lmao

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-28-2022),Ismira (03-28-2022),Trash Panda (04-01-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Back when I actually read, I very much liked the Eragon book series. So, naturally, I was super excited to see the movie adaption that came out some years ago.

LMAO that movie was TERRIBLE I had it wiped from my brain until right now! I also loved the books as a kid, or at least the first two, but I don't think I ever finished the series since I kind of forgot about them over the years.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-28-2022),Ismira (03-28-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    81d 7h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    LMAO that movie was TERRIBLE I had it wiped from my brain until right now! I also loved the books as a kid, or at least the first two, but I don't think I ever finished the series since I kind of forgot about them over the years.
    You should definitely revisit the series! I don't think it gets as much recognition as it deserves. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it deserves to be read, damn it!

That said, I couldn't agree with you and @(you need an account to see links) more. The movie was awful and I'd quite literally forgotten it existed until now.

I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but the Harry Potter movies did not impress me. I was first introduced to the series by a Japanese friend in the early 2000s when it hadn't quite reached the massive fanbase that it has today. I remember feeling incredibly excited when the movies were in production and equally as let down after having watched it. My friends made sure I sat through the movies though, oftentimes against my will lol. I tried to like them, I really did, but too much was lost "in translation", and the movies never quite captured the magic, spark and awe like the books did.

I'm with @(you need an account to see links), I'd love to see a television adaptation instead. Something that would do the fantastical world JK built, justice. Huge fan of the Fantastic Beasts movies though!

50/50 on The Fault in Our Stars and Hunger Games. I enjoyed both the book series and movie adaptation and couldn't really pick one over the other.

Another massive let down was the Divergent movies. First was alright, but they went so wildly off script for the movies that followed..? SMH.

Special thanks to (you need an account to see links) for my adorable Ryu, and (you need an account to see links) for my galaxy pumpkin!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ismira For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-28-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    93d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

You beat me to it. The Eragon movie was a horrible trainwreck. I tried to watch the movie again a few months ago just for funsies, and it's like so bad, and not even funnily bad, lol

I'd also say the Percy Jackson movies. They're not bad bad, but the fact that the actors looked like they were on they're 20's instead of 12 like in the books, made it weird for me. Also, the CGI on the second movie is kinda funky.

There is no trash cannot, only
    TRASH CAN

Special thanks to lyrichord for the amazing userbar avatar & honeycomb for the cutest drawing!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trash Panda For This Useful Post:

Buizel (04-03-2022),Hall (04-03-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    88d 7h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I think Harry Potter no question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post
    You beat me to it. The Eragon movie was a horrible trainwreck. I tried to watch the movie again a few months ago just for funsies, and it's like so bad, and not even funnily bad, lol

I'd also say the Percy Jackson movies. They're not bad bad, but the fact that the actors looked like they were on they're 20's instead of 12 like in the books, made it weird for me. Also, the CGI on the second movie is kinda funky.
    Agree Eragon books was definitely also better

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    229 times
    Time Online
    64d 23h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I 100% agree! The Goblet of Fire was actually the first Harry Potter book I ever read, and it's what got me hooked on the stories. When I found out that they were making movies, that was the one that I was looking forward to the most, and they whiffed it majorly! The level of detail in the story telling was what captivated me, and they left nearly everything but the main story out of the adaptation! After waiting all that time for the movie, I was super bummed out with what we got. I've secretly hoped that it'll get rebooted as a television-formatted series one of these days. Maybe that will give them the creative free space to tell a more comprehensive version of the story, complete with all the nuance and subplots that made the universe interesting!
    The Goblet of Fire was my first exposure, and first book that I've read in the Harry Potter series. (I'm a huge HP fan till this day).
    Funny thing is, I picked the book with absolutely zero knowledge of the series, and purely because it was the thickest one (available at that time)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,754 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The Goblet of Fire was my first exposure, and first book that I've read in the Harry Potter series. (I'm a huge HP fan till this day).
    Funny thing is, I picked the book with absolutely zero knowledge of the series, and purely because it was the thickest one (available at that time)
    DUDE! Same exact situation for me! I had a week of in-school suspension for breakin' rules, and I needed something to pass the time. I grabbed that big ol' book off a shelf and went on a magical journey!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Shawn (04-03-2022)