92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

[GUIDE] How To Dutch Braid Your Hair

Alright… here’s the guide that no one asked for!

Okay, so actually @(you need an account to see links) asked me about this one because YouTube was no help for this and she was totes mad jealous of my Dutch braids.

SO YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DUTCH BRAID? Cool! I can’t say I blame you. Its a cute hairstyle, it gets your hair away from your face, AND you can say “yep, did these bad boys myself, nbd” and amaze those around you. Plus, everyone needs to have the token “person who knows how to braid at the summer camp so everyone line up at my bunk” friend in the friend group. And now, you too, can be that friend!

Or maybe your mom/sister/grandma/aunt/second cousin twice removed on your dad’s side never taught you how to braid and now you’re a 20-30 something person who wishes they learned this shit years ago and thinks this skill is a lost cause. Well boy, are you wrong! It’s never too late to learn! Let’s get started, shall we?

Brush your hair, and if you can, do this when your hair is slightly damp/wet. It can help especially when you’re learning.
    If you’re doing this with dry hair, put some dry shampoo in your hair first. This helps add some texture, especially if your is recently washed and/or very soft. Split your hair down the middle with a comb or your fingers. Separate the side you aren’t braiding first by tying it back with an elastic. Make sure this is done relatively tightly so you don’t accidentally grab hair from that side (you’ll understand later what that means)

To get ready to start the braid, hold your arms above your head grab a section of hair from the front of your head. Split it into 3 even strands. You’ll want to make sure you’re pulling the hair back and away from you. It feels unnatural at first, but eventually it’ll be second nature. It doesn’t matter if you start the braid itself with the outer strand or the inner strand, but remember to keep it consistent for the other side. For the purpose of this tutorial/example, I will start with the outer strand on the left side of the head. However, you can start with the inner strand too. And it doesn’t matter if you do the left side or the right side of your head first. That’s the freedom of choice, baby.

Okay so you’ve got the hair split into 3 even sections. Excellent. This is progress. Now, start the braid by crossing the outer strand UNDER the middle strand. The outer strand is now in the middle, and the middle strand is now on the outside. Next, take the inner strand (the one on the other side of the middle, so if you’re doing the left side of your head, the inner strand will be the strand closer to your right side of your head aka closer to the middle part. If you’re doing the right side of your head, the inner strand will be closer to the left side of your head, again aka the middle part) and cross it UNDER the middle strand. Now the inner strand is in the middle, and the strand that started on the outer side, is now on the inner side. The middle strand is now on the outer side. Are you still with me? Okay, good!

This is where the Dutch braid technique really begins.
    Take your outer strand again and grab some hair to add to the strand, making it a bit thicker.

Once you’ve added the section of hair, cross the outer strand UNDER the middle strand. Once again, the outer strand is now the middle strand, and the middle strand is now the outer stand.

What about the other side? Well, glad you asked. We’re gonna do the same thing again! Take the inner strand and grab some hair from the same side of your head to add to the inner strand. Take the inner strand with the added hair and cross it UNDER the middle strand.

Repeat the same process of grabbing the outer and middle strands, adding hair and crossing the strands under the middle until you cannot add any more hair to the strands: Outer strand, add hair, cross it under middle. Inner strand, add hair, cross it under middle. Back to outer strand again and so on and so forth. Do your best to hold it tight so it stays together.

Once you no longer have any hair to add to the strands, continue to braid, and remember to keep crossing the strands UNDER each other. This keeps the pattern consistent. Pop on some elastics once you have your desired end length and wow your arms are crying from being sore but you did it! You completed one side! Take a break if you want, and when you’re ready, we’re going to repeat the same process but now for the right side of your head.

Take a section of hair from the front of your head, split it into three even strands. Start with that outer strand again, crossing it under the middle strand. Take the inner strand, crossing it under the middle strand. Grab the outer strand, add some hair to it, crossing it under the middle. Now grab the inner strand, add some hair to it and cross it under the middle. Rinse and repeat until you’re out of hair to add to the strands. Keep braiding by crossing the strands under each other until you are ready to elastic the ends.

Want a pro tip? Duh, Cinna, of course we do.
    When you’re practising, don’t bother trying to look in the mirror. It will complicate things and confuse you. Trust me, I got so frustrated trying to braid in the mirror that I wanted to smack my brush against my head. 0/10 don’t recommend.

I would recommend mindlessly practicing while watching tv or something along those lines. The muscle memory will come with time. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a few tries to complete both sides. You’re learning so be gentle on yourself (unlike I was when I learned LOL). Once you’ve started to get it down, you’ll be able to try it on your friends/family/whoever! You can try practicing on someone else right away too. That can help you visualise what you are doing, but it may still be tricky the first few tries!

Anyways, enough of me rambling. But I do have one last thing to add: Once you get the muscle memory of Dutch braiding down, you’ll be able to do a French braid, too! A French braid is the exact same technique BUT instead of crossing the strands under each other, you cross the strands OVER each other! I know right, who knew?!

Look at you now. You’re the braiding prodigy that you wished you were back at Girl Guide camp. Be proud, kid! Because I am proud of you

Now go out there and rock those cute braids!
    Last edited by Cinnamoroll; 01-27-2022 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I iz gud righter aka I can’t spell apparently

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-27-2022),Cat Purrson (01-27-2022),♥ Cerberus ♥ (04-25-2023),dulcet (01-31-2022),Hall (01-27-2022),hearts (08-31-2022),hissi (01-27-2022),Ice (01-27-2022),kittyray (01-27-2022),♥ lagrima ♥ (01-30-2022),Lyrichord (01-27-2022),♥ Munna ♥ (02-06-2024),Nattiee (01-27-2022),Nyanobyte                      (01-27-2022),Orbit (01-27-2022),radius (01-30-2022),SpongeBob (01-28-2022),Swablu (01-14-2024),Unown (01-27-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cinnamoroll again.

I love this. I love you. Thank you so much I can’t wait to try and have my arms fall off from exhaustion.

#mvp I will be back to gib rep when I can

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-27-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I wasn't very successful in my attempts to follow this, but at least it allowed me to try!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-27-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I wasn't very successful in my attempts to follow this, but at least it allowed me to try!
    It’s definitely easier on longer hair, that’s for sure! But your attempts were still good especially because your hair is short! I was V impressed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nattiee View Post

I love this. I love you. Thank you so much I can’t wait to try and have my arms fall off from exhaustion.

#mvp I will be back to gib rep when I can
    The arm exhaustion will be worth it #gainz #lookincute

Art Credits:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

kittyray (01-27-2022),Nattiee (01-27-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    669 times
    Time Online
    210d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 31m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Anyways, enough of me rambling. But I do have one last thing to add: Once you get the muscle memory of Dutch braiding down, you’ll be able to do a French braid, too! A French braid is the exact same technique BUT instead of crossing the strands under each other, you cross the strands OVER each other! I know right, who knew?!

Now go out there and rock those cute braids!
    Thank you for this guide Cinna That's the difference between Dutch and French braids?!? I'm looking forward to giving this a go soon, even though I already know my arms will be screaming in under a minute. It will be worth the look.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-27-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

[GUIDE] How To Dutch Braid Your Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrichord View Post
    Thank you for this guide Cinna That's the difference between Dutch and French braids?!? I'm looking forward to giving this a go soon, even though I already know my arms will be screaming in under a minute. It will be worth the look.
    Yep, that’s the difference! I had no idea either until I learned both styles. I also thought that the technique was WAY more complicated than it is. I was truly mind blown.

Here’s my Dutchies that I did today on myself after I washed my hair. I do still struggle with getting that perfectly even part down the middle, but it’s because I don’t use a comb or mirror to part it. So, that’s my own fault

Art Credits:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (01-27-2022),SpongeBob (01-28-2022)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    This was therapeutic to read, no really it was, and now i want to try the Daenerys look, i might have the long hair!

Question! I'm used to cross the strands over others (now i know it's called the french bride, ooh la la mr frenchman to me) could it be easier for me to just try to cross the strands over?

Gawsh, i'm loving this, will try while watching something today

León the Lion Ryu,
    the "Board Games hoarder"
    Born || 2020~11~15

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-27-2022)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    101d 19h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m

Thank you for the guide!!!!!

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-27-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Plushee Boree View Post
    This was therapeutic to read, no really it was, and now i want to try the Daenerys look, i might have the long hair!

Question! I'm used to cross the strands over others (now i know it's called the french bride, ooh la la mr frenchman to me) could it be easier for me to just try to cross the strands over?

Gawsh, i'm loving this, will try while watching something today

If you cross the strands over each other, you end up with the French braid so the one that looks like this (done on my mother and she has thin/fine hair so it was harder to do):

Versus the Dutch and the crossing the strands under each other (did this on a friend when I was still learning)

Art Credits:

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (01-28-2022),Nattiee (01-27-2022),SpongeBob (01-28-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    pass that dutch

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post: