2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

I Bought My First House Today

It finally happened. I bought my first house today. We had to compromise a little on what I wanted and location but it is still pretty wonderful. I have been living with my in-laws since I moved to this country in 2020 and now we finally have our own space. I can not wait. It needs a bit of work and we are getting quotes for painting tomorrow. We are not handy people and I don't want to deal with the vaulted ceilings. We might do the bedrooms ourselves though.

Anyway! Give me your advice. What are things we should do as new owners? Shouldn't do? Tips? Tricks? Anything! This is all new to me.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ucohuc For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-20-2022),CattHead (05-06-2022),cornishwall (05-17-2022),Nattiee (01-20-2022),Orbit (01-20-2022),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (05-17-2022),quintessencce (05-18-2022)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Congratulations on your new home! That is always a fun and exciting time. In my two previous homes I have painted the bedrooms and bathrooms and basement myself. They are pretty easy spaces to do and you can really save some money doing it yourself. For tis i recommned looking into a good edging tool if you aren't hand. IT really helped me with cutting in the paint. Also make sure you have the right Nap roller for your paint. Also, also see if you can find out what the paint type you are painting over is (oil based vs latex). If you are trying painting latex paint over oil based it will just peel right off so you'll have to sand prime and then paint. I hightly suggest hiring someone for your main areas or difficult to pain areas like stairwells, high ceilings etc. It's worth your money, time and saves frustration! Congrats again!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Congratulations!

As someone whose husband is a red seal journey man painter: you 100% get what you pay for. But please also don't be the homeowners with extremely unrealistic expectations when it comes to touch ups or changing your minds a dozen times on colours!

If you're hiring painters, please just let them do everything. In the end, it will look more cohesive. Trust me on this one. Husband has been doing this for 10 years on high end custom homes and renos, and his dad as well for 30+ years. Don't do it yourself unless you are also a professional

It may seem silly, but if you don't know what you're doing in terms of any trade, it is likely always better to get a professional to do it if you can afford to or if you know someone in that industry.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 4h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Big congrats on this major step in life. It can be a little intimidating, especially before you move in - but it's a great feeling having your own home at the end of the day.

Sounds like you're going to have a bunch of fun projects coming up It'll help keep you busy (in a good way), if you plan on doing most of the work. Lots of great content on YouTube.

After the first year, it's a smoother ride in terms of weather/seasons, depending where you are.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

8. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    94d 15h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Wow that is wonderful news. You are on your way to being Happy, Successful and most likely Rich. Real estate is the best investment for your money and of course a place to live forever!!!

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peanutface For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    ahhh congrats! That's so exciting! I'm gearing up to try and buy my first house in the next 12 months as well =3 so I can't offer any good tips for being a new homeowner, but if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know what top tip you would give someone just starting out on the process.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    69d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I have no tips since I'm still working my way to my own house as well, but huge congrats to you!
    That's amazing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to radius For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Congratulations on this big achievement!
    Tips will kind of depend on where you are, but one that I think is universal is to invest in solar. Even with the little starter house we bought, we chucked solar on it. It helped with the bills while we were there, and increased the resale value when we moved on.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 3h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Congrats!! I don't have any advice to give since I'm not a homeowner, but I'm here to celebrate with you. Invite us all over for wine sometime

18. The Following User Says Thank You to caviar For This Useful Post:

ucohuc (01-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Congrats on your new home!! What an accomplishment!

Don't think of yourself as not handy people! Think of yourselves as professional handy(wo)men in training!! One of my roommates is actually quite handy, he fixed all the cabinets, sinks, doors, windows, etc and all from watching Youtube. I myself can only learn by doing so I usually have to do things a couple times, but I enjoy learning and didn't mind the extra cost at my first failed attempt(s).

One of my close friends is a house painter and he told me it took him many years before he felt he was good at it. He'd also complain about the crap job people did before he showed up. You can probably get away with painting your own place, but it definitely won't be as nice as a professional doing it and depending on how well you did and how particular you are, you might want to replace it after a few years. Not only that but there's tons of different paints out there so make sure to do your research to find a long lasting one. My current house, I don't know who did the paint last (I'm still renting), but I can see the random bubbles everywhere and it chips! Not only that but I can put a small piece of tape on the wall and it peels the tape off, whaaa?? It's layered terribly in a number of places also, kinda just a mess all around. But! If I knew it was me who did it with my partner and I had memories of us having fun doing it, I probably wouldn't mind it as much. To each their own!

Make sure you know what termite poop looks like; we recently realized that some shavings one of our roommates was sweeping every week was actually termite dropping, yuck! We told our landlord like 3 months ago and he's supposedly still arguing with his home insurance about it, not really sure what's going on there...

I'd also recommend a bidet! I'd recommend this to everyone, not just home owners, they're a total life changer! I bought a super cheap one on Amazon (like $70) and it's been going strong for years.

Dont underestimate the usefuless of a kitchen sink with a pulldown spray nozzle!

We swapped out the super old light switches with fancier new button ones, some with dimmers when we moved it. Be sure to get one of those box things that tells you if there's any electricity in the wires or... you might get seriously injured / die. I wouldn't recommend doing any electrical or plumbing work unless you're absolutely certain!!

Don't forget to change the locks to your house if you haven't already! You never know who had the key to the locks it came with.

Do you have a yard? How many bedrooms / bathrooms? Let me live through you