53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m

Staying active while injured?

Looking for some tips on staying active with a knee injury.
    Been extremely depressed and increasingly anxious because I haven't been able to do anything
    Unfortunately unable to walk at all/long distances on good days.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

2. The Following User Says Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Erik. (11-25-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Aww that sucks! I hope you feel better soon! Are you on pain medication? As for exercising, it depends on what you like and can do... Is there an indoor pool in your neighborhood? Swimming helps a lot with leg injuries, but be sure to swim in a way that it doesn't hurt. If you like yoga you can look into lying or sitting yoga moves. Sitting basketball is fun too, you can dribble or you can hit it against a wall. Or do it with someone else. Or use a tennis ball! These are some things from the top of my head but I hope some other users will chime in for advice ^^ GL!

Edit: here's something on yoga for knee injuries:

Last edited by Erik.; 11-25-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    I don't know how serious your knee injury is but not being active will definitely make you feel a considerable amount worse. Staying fit is essential for not just your body, but mental health as well. I found this video for you that might help suggest some physical activities you could do.

I had a knee injury and some of these exercises in the video are what I did during my time in physio to strengthen it and get rid of the lingering pain. Some of the big ones are bodyweight squats and leg raises when lying on your side (like a clamp motion).

I tell everyone this when sharing advice - form is the most important, not how much weight you're working with. So is rest and proper nutrition (eat well and healthy). These factors all tie in with better recovery.

Don't be discouraged to bring crutches to a gym... Don't let anything stop you from getting your gains! And remember, consistency is key and very rewarding. Always think long term. Good luck and I wish you a very quick and successful recovery @My Name Is Yoshikage Kira
    Last edited by j03; 11-25-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (11-25-2021),Erik. (11-25-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (12-05-2021),Zenitsu (12-12-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    In the small window of time between my knee injury and covid shutting everything down, I started taking some swim lessons with a personal trainer. It was a mix of literally learning the strokes and more intense training drills. It was pretty low impact on the knees and I found that I didn't need to ice after because the water was cold (but maybe I should have, I haven't been the best patient with this). Even if you can't find a trainer/class, is access to a pool something you have, that might help?

I also find doing very low impact things on the bike okay on my knee, but I have to ice a lot afterwards and sometimes it still twinges.

This might sound weird, and it's not gonna totally scratch the fitness itch, but I've done the occasional chair yoga video when I couldn't do anything else.

Take all this with a grain of salt, though, because honestly I haven't been taking as good care of my knee as I should have been. Remember that pushing through an injury can set you up for more down the line. But still, this sucks, I'm sorry you're dealing with it!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Erik. (11-25-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (12-05-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I cosign swimming for sure. If laps are too much even just being in the water and moving around a bit adds resistance while cushioning impact. Depending on your injury & whether bending or weight-baring is more the problem, biking can be good - keeps it bending a consistent amount without needing to hold weight. Another one that's between dicey and impossible with some injuries but really chill with others is ice skating, it lets you be on your feet while cutting out a lot of the impact of walking or running.

This is a niche enough answer that I def can't assume you have access, but may be worth saying in case / just out of interest - when I tore my ACL the smoothest thing to get back to was horseback riding. Nothing super intense, no young/unpredictable horses, and it's something I already did regularly, but the amount of bend in the leg it takes was like the exact way my leg wanted to sit anyway & it meant I could use muscles in both my calf and thigh without putting weight on my knee itself.

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Erik. (11-26-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (12-05-2021)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    Aww that sucks! I hope you feel better soon! Are you on pain medication? As for exercising, it depends on what you like and can do... Is there an indoor pool in your neighborhood? Swimming helps a lot with leg injuries, but be sure to swim in a way that it doesn't hurt. If you like yoga you can look into lying or sitting yoga moves. Sitting basketball is fun too, you can dribble or you can hit it against a wall. Or do it with someone else. Or use a tennis ball! These are some things from the top of my head but I hope some other users will chime in for advice ^^ GL!

Edit: here's something on yoga for knee injuries:

Thank you! No pain medication, just some ibuprofen to keep the swelling down.

Kitty also mentioned swimming so it seems like that is something to look into, honestly didn't think of that. Can't drive (bad time to have a stick shift) so I'll try braving the outside pool in my complex

Thank you for sharing that video, skimming through it and it looks like most of the poses are within the range of motion my knee is capable of so I'll try those tonight

Quote Originally Posted by j03 View Post
    I don't know how serious your knee injury is but not being active will definitely make you feel a considerable amount worse. Staying fit is essential for not just your body, but mental health as well. I found this video for you that might help suggest some physical activities you could do.

I had a knee injury and some of these exercises in the video are what I did during my time in physio to strengthen it and get rid of the lingering pain. Some of the big ones are bodyweight squats and leg raises when lying on your side (like a clamp motion).

I tell everyone this when sharing advice - form is the most important, not how much weight you're working with. So is rest and proper nutrition (eat well and healthy). These factors all tie in with better recovery.

Don't be discouraged to bring crutches to a gym... Don't let anything stop you from getting your gains! And remember, consistency is key and very rewarding. Always think long term. Good luck and I wish you a very quick and successful recovery @My Name Is Yoshikage Kira

Thank you very much. How has your knee's healing been? How long did it take for it to return to normal/mostly normal?

This video is fantastic, some look a little more than what I can do for now but I'll save it so I can do these as it heals

Been resting a ton and sticking to good nutrition so I don't have to restart from 0 later on.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    In the small window of time between my knee injury and covid shutting everything down, I started taking some swim lessons with a personal trainer. It was a mix of literally learning the strokes and more intense training drills. It was pretty low impact on the knees and I found that I didn't need to ice after because the water was cold (but maybe I should have, I haven't been the best patient with this). Even if you can't find a trainer/class, is access to a pool something you have, that might help?

I also find doing very low impact things on the bike okay on my knee, but I have to ice a lot afterwards and sometimes it still twinges.

This might sound weird, and it's not gonna totally scratch the fitness itch, but I've done the occasional chair yoga video when I couldn't do anything else.

Take all this with a grain of salt, though, because honestly I haven't been taking as good care of my knee as I should have been. Remember that pushing through an injury can set you up for more down the line. But still, this sucks, I'm sorry you're dealing with it!

How has your knee healing been?

The swimming in cold water sounds great for doing both lol Chair yoga also sounds good for the other days.
    Were there any videos in particular you liked more?

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I cosign swimming for sure. If laps are too much even just being in the water and moving around a bit adds resistance while cushioning impact. Depending on your injury & whether bending or weight-baring is more the problem, biking can be good - keeps it bending a consistent amount without needing to hold weight. Another one that's between dicey and impossible with some injuries but really chill with others is ice skating, it lets you be on your feet while cutting out a lot of the impact of walking or running.

This is a niche enough answer that I def can't assume you have access, but may be worth saying in case / just out of interest - when I tore my ACL the smoothest thing to get back to was horseback riding. Nothing super intense, no young/unpredictable horses, and it's something I already did regularly, but the amount of bend in the leg it takes was like the exact way my leg wanted to sit anyway & it meant I could use muscles in both my calf and thigh without putting weight on my knee itself.
    Swimming it is Sadly it's bending and weight bearing that are the issues. I don't think biking is a possibility for now but would love to once I can bend some more.

Horseback riding is interesting! How long did it take for your acl to heal?

Thank you everyone for the responses, sorry for the delay in replying. Just been having a rough time with it.
    Last edited by My name is Yoshikage Kira; 12-05-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

12. The Following User Says Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Erik. (12-06-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is Yoshikage Kira View Post

How has your knee healing been?

The swimming in cold water sounds great for doing both lol Chair yoga also sounds good for the other days.
    Were there any videos in particular you liked more?

Not great, tbh! I've been a terrible patient. It was recommended that I try physical therapy, but this year has been a total whirlwind and I just never got around to it. Luckily the pain isn't that bad in day-to-day, just a persistent nag, but I miss doing what I used to. I was also told to get an MRI if it wasn't improving after physical therapy, but because I haven't started it yet...

As far as chair yoga, I got them on Peloton, but I'm sure there are plenty on youtube and such!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Have you gotten to swimming yet Yoshikage? ^^ Hope you're doing a bit better?

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is Yoshikage Kira View Post
    Swimming it is Sadly it's bending and weight bearing that are the issues. I don't think biking is a possibility for now but would love to once I can bend some more.

Horseback riding is interesting! How long did it take for your acl to heal?
    Uhhhhh hard to measure honestly, as over the years it's become more and more clear that I also have arthritis or something and what I was previously considering "residual ACL pain" and "wear and tear on my other knee from compensating during healing" is actually just its own permanent thing. According to the facebook statuses I am reminded of every year through the memories function, it was about 2 weeks from hurting it that I was on a horse & attempting to go for a run (which didn't work well at all, limped heavily the whole time). I didn't get an MRI and confirm the tear until ~4 months after hurting it, and then I got surgery to fix it like 7 months after that, and I believe the healing time post surgery was something like 6-8 weeks of physio and leg brace? It's been a long time now. But yeah unfortunately I can't say when it was fully healed as by then my knees already had more shit going on

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    So I broke my leg the first week of January. (Made a lot of jokes about how covid didn't take me out and I went into the new year on the wrong foot)

I got extremely lucky and fractured my fibula, went to the doctor got splinted / casted up and went about my business. The most tasking thing I did was live my every day life. I used my crutches constantly, when I wasn't working I was moving around. I live on a second floor so I couldn't go downstairs, but I would work out my arms and my core by pacing essentially. I'm not gonna lie it was miserable. I had never felt so useless and alone for that first week.

Depending on the severity of your injury, I say do what you can but please don't push it or work harder than you should. The initial healing will be easier to suffer through than if you try to exercise and hurt yourself more. Being bedridden sucks, so my biggest advice is to sit outside or just near a window, even changing rooms was helpful to keep me from going completely crazy.
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)