Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you guys do to stay healthy?

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Another thing is just figuring out what keeps you motivated. I mostly say this because I just had an 'aha' moment at personal training

We've been doing high-rep-low-weight stuff for the past few weeks and I haven't really been feeling it, but kept pushing through. Then today my trainer was trying to tidy and somehow joking around I "tried" to pick up a 100lb weight and actually did it, which surprised me because I haven't trained seriously in about 3-3.5 years and I was never particularly strong, but we were both kind of like "okay, starting next week we are doing higher weight lower rep workouts" and I'm really excited to see where that goes.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Druid (11-19-2021),Houndoom (11-19-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    @(you need an account to see links) - honestly I've only ever really liked heavier weights/less reps cause the big numbers motivate me xDD (and honestly nothing's like that feeling of accomplishment when I push past a new 1rm!) I never really enjoyed the whole pump/burning sensation either cause I am a big ole baby too.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Yeah, the numbers motivate me, too, I just...for some reason didn't think to switch up my training style even though I was low-key feeling shit about how low the weights were.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I put 45 min a day 5 days a week aside for working out at home. I try and follow a good program, but sometimes it's something as simple as dancing while cleaning or going for a run. But I require it from myself and now it's just kind of part of my life. I refuse to let age get me yet, and I don't want to be one of those people who are already falling apart before 50. I like to think I'm saving myself in the long run... hopefully!

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I am disabled, so my idea of healthy/exercise is pretty different than what's been mentioned on this thread. A few years ago it wasn't so bad and part of my daily commute for years was brisk walking about 30-45min a day, and I'd take longer hikes around the city and trails. I can't walk more than 10 minutes without a break and/or mobility aid now, so I am limited in what exercise I can do. When I have time and energy to, I stretch, but this is very rare. My disability makes it difficult for me to do any physical activity as it worsens my condition, and if I'm not careful the damage can be permanent. Since I moved at the end of last year I've been overdoing the physical activity with packing and unpacking, and as a result my "baseline" has gotten lower. I've been looking into cheap smartwatches that monitor heart rate decently so I can use it for pacing to avoid repeating that mistake.

More to answer the question of the thread: how do I stay healthy?

• I pace my mental and physical activity as well as I can; i.e., don't watch TV/scroll on phone/play games for too long at once, and take frequent breaks when I am doing chores or any kind of physical activity.
    • I utilize mobility aid(s)! I use my rollator or scooters when I have to run errands
    • I try to make sure I take my medications daily and on time.
    • Per most nutritionists, I have eliminated the verbiage of "healthy" around food, as my eating habits have been sporadic due to my digestive issues. I have always eaten a pretty balanced diet when I DO eat, though... maybe not including baked desserts I eat home-cooked meals about 90% of the time, and avoid my trigger foods except as a treat. Since the COVID pandemic, I've been able to eat regular meals at regular times.
    • When I have health insurance, which I unfortunately lack atm, I schedule annual wellness checks with a provider.
    • When I have the rare day of low pain + decent energy + plenty of time, I play DDR or Ring Fit!
    • Most importantly, I have slowly started to learn to rest when my body indicates that I need rest.

The last point has always been the hardest part for me as I was very active prior to my disability developing to the point where it is today, and the smallest stressors or activity can exhaust me and leave me bedbound for days. It wasn't until recently that I learned that this rest includes for mental exhaustion, not just physical pain. I have yet to get used to the fact that I can't work for hours on end without breaks, or more than 5 hours a day.

My activity levels vary so widely depending on so many factors that I just do what I can, when I can.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

kittyray (03-10-2022),phantasia (08-01-2022)