Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do to stay healthy?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    22h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

What do you guys do to stay healthy?

Personally ever since marrying my wife, my workout is now cleaning the house, working the yard, walking the dogs, and occasional swim (I used to swim daily).
    Did you guys have a huge change due to a marriage or change of environment?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaizer For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (03-10-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I've talked about this before, but my exercise routine changed drastically a couple years ago. I had had a kind of weird schedule which allowed me to do strength training 3x week and cardio 5x a week, plus I did a lot of walking. Then I moved to a less walkable (and less runnable) city and had more of a a 9-5 schedule (but realistically more like 9-9). Then of course covid hit and made gym-going and similar things even harder, especially after moving back in with my parents for several months.

I am incredibly out of shape at this point and it sucks, I feel really bad because I spent my entire twenties rebuilding my fitness from zero due to a major illness, and while I'm not at zero, this drop is entirely on me. I moved again a couple months ago and started a new job, and as I'm settling into a new routine, I'm trying to get myself back into a healthier place, but it's not easy because I definitely have not had the energy to exercise as much or cook healthy meals or all that. Trying to take baby steps.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (03-10-2022),funnybell (11-08-2021),Kaizer (11-06-2021),Remy (11-10-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    22h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Yeah, I notice the environment and work/people really forces you into a certain habit or lifestyle.
    I do miss swimming daily etc...

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I need to figure something out - up until immediately before the pandemic I worked in restaurants, so I was on my feet 8 hours a day, and for the peak hours part of that I'd be basically speedwalking. I also biked to and from work in the non-winter, and since those two things were all I really did I wasn't like athlete-fit but I was never worried. Now it's looking like I'll stay in office jobs forever, which on the one hand thank god, but on the other I'm suddenly super stagnant.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up horseback riding again in the relatively near future, but that's a ways off still 1) financially and 2) because I live in a big city and don't drive. The only other sport I ever got really into was rugby but I absolutely can't do that any more, my body would collapse like a house of cards lol. I miss it a lot though, and I miss being FIT fit. I stopped super abruptly with a bad injury - like couldn't even jog/stretch/cool down after that game - so I just had to observe my body fall from peak physical condition (well like, my best ever, I was no Olympian but I was on multiple teams and working out minimum 2h daily) to nothing, and without a team to train with / game to train for I've never worked back up to anywhere near that.

If anyone has ideas that work for late-twenties-early-thirties ex-athletes with terrible joints and no attention span for just the gym, please lmk haha. I've seen friends get into things like muay thai and tennis, both of which seem fun but I just don't trust my knees ;-;

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Houndoom (11-08-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) I feel your pain. I also went from being super fit to basically nothing really rapidly. For me it was an illness and not an injury so there was about a three month decline, but it was a total 180. Again, I was no Olympian, but I had been in a really intense training regimen and had spent a month in the wilderness, and to some extent, my experience did reflect some of the stories I've read of Olympians who are dealing with Long Covid.

At this point I know I'm never gonna be fit the same way I was when I was a nineteen-year-old athlete, but I'd like to be more than I am now, and maybe get back to where I was a few years ago. I'm also really curious about suggestions for old-people-athleticism, especially if there's a community aspect involved.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (03-10-2022),Druid (11-08-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    @(you need an account to see links) uuugh doesn't it suck! But yeah very same - I've made my peace with the fact that I'll never be like that again / I somehow ended up being one of those people with Glory Days, but I do miss like, using my body and playing. It can't involve full contact or sharp pivots anymore but I want to find something

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links)! It really does suck! Honestly, there's a sort of grieving process involved. I never thought about it being my Glory Days, but I guess they were! I've mostly made peace with it, especially things like thru-hiking the PCT or something is likely never gonna be in my future, but I have a harder time with littler big things, if that makes sense?

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    Count me in for the Glory Days club ;-; I used to lift heavy and was strong (like was reasonably competitive at the state level) but got derailed by an injury that's probably never really fully going away. Luckily I have another sport that I love and can still fairly regularly play, if only covid would go away.

During covid I more or less just let fitness fall away ahaha. I ran a bit with my dog, tried some off and on yoga, and at this point am waiting for my usual gym to open back up and I'll get back to strength training then. I'm not... too worried about regaining fitness? It generally comes back easier/faster than the first time I got into lifting, but I do worry that from a mental strength standpoint I'll get discouraged and not be able to get into a routine.

@(you need an account to see links) I don't really have too much advice, but with my lingering issues it usually means - not skipping warmups/prehab, really listening to my body for flareups instead of pushing through it the way I used to, and generally trying to be ok with slower progress.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

funnybell (11-08-2021),kittyray (11-08-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) Sorry to hear you're a member of the club, too!

Yeah, consistency is definitely key for me, but it's something I let drop during the pandemic without any structure. I definitely regain fitness a little more slowly because of lingering issues, but am hoping to build myself back up again. I've done it from scratch before, and I'm at a better starting point than I was then!

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Houndoom (11-08-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    I don't do anything at the moment outside of eat a good diet and walk my dog every day I had gotten very into lifting weights about four months before the pandemic, and I haven't been able to replace it with anything since. I hate running - I used to do track and cross country and have spent so much time of my life mindlessly running that I just can't do it anymore. No place in immediate distance has a lap pool, which would be my favorite type of exercise.

My problem is I was super easily able to settle into the lifting routine because my office has a gym. I'd usually just go immediately after work but sometimes would just go randomly in the day if I had enough free time around meetings for it. Now we're full remote so I lost my access there and I'd have to travel to get to any gym, and none of the ones in my area have a lap pool. It was hard to get jazzed up to pay for a gym service that I used to get for free when there isn't any real upgrade in amenities for the cost.

But my company just a half hour ago sent out details on updated employee benefits which includes tons of upgrades, including an annual allowance for a gym membership :') so now I have no excuse and really do feel motivated to finally get back into it.

when I was lifting, I used a routine that my meathead brother put together for me that I loved so much. I can share it if anyone is interested - he made it super easy on me by including a link to an instructional video for each separate lift.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Druid (11-08-2021),Houndoom (11-08-2021),kittyray (11-08-2021)