Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the “must do” sights or activities in your state?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m

What are the “must do” sights or activities in your state?

My wife and I have set a goal to visit all 50 states.. and the rule is it doesn’t count to drive through it. We have to do something meaningful and memorable in that state.

We have 8 knocked off so far, and just hit Arizona for the Grand Canyon and the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island) a week ago.

We are hitting NYC to run the marathon next week. Then hitting Vegas to see a concert, catch a football game, and drive to Utah to see Zion national park in December.

I am looking towards the next trip and we are trying to decide where to go. I figure we have people from literally ALL over on ck. If somebody was coming to your state, what things would you recommend them to do?

Ps - if you’re planning to go anywhere I’ve been, I can give you some ideas and tips of what we did and what I’ve done in the past! Now that covid is easing, slightly, traveling has been so cheap; so why not explore somewhere new!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-31-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them or she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 2h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    For Texas:

- Alamo (San Antonio)
    - Six Floor Museum (Dallas)
    - Big Bend (West Texas)
    - Buc'ees (big Texan road stop/rest stop)
    - Eat Kolaches somewhere
    - San Marcos River
    - Barton Springs (Austin)
    - NASA Space Center (Houston)

Big shoutout to my partner who actually grew up here and contributed... most if not all of those lol. Texas is a huge state and it feels odd to think of what are the most relevant stops in the entire state. If you had to pick one, I think the Alamo is the most Texan of them all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to datalore For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (10-31-2021),I_royalty_I (10-31-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by datalore View Post
    For Texas:

- Alamo (San Antonio)
    - Six Floor Museum (Dallas)
    - Big Bend (West Texas)
    - Buc'ees (big Texan road stop/rest stop)
    - Eat Kolaches somewhere
    - San Marcos River
    - Barton Springs (Austin)
    - NASA Space Center (Houston)

Big shoutout to my partner who actually grew up here and contributed... most if not all of those lol. Texas is a huge state and it feels odd to think of what are the most relevant stops in the entire state. If you had to pick one, I think the Alamo is the most Texan of them all.
    I’d agree that it’s tough to pick just one spot, or even a small handful of spots. I had issues when trying to narrow down the list while we were traveling. I tried to mix in experiences that certain places were known for as well as places to go. It’s fun to kind of dig in and explore before you get there by figuring what you want to do.

Sounds like a good list of Recs for Texas too!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    West Virginia- new river gorge bridge... Kind of boring, but it's a big bridge and they have t-shirts.

If you're really looking for a good time, I recommend the fiesta wear outlet in Newell, then a quick drive north to the world's largest teapot in Chester.

West Virginia isn't too crazy with tourist attractions. lol

The mothman museum is in Point Pleasant. I havent been in years, but I enjoyed it.

Edit:
    I almost forgot seasonal stuff:

Halloween- West Virginia Penitentiary is a shutdown jail in moundsville. I don't believe in ghosts, but this place is fucked. They do tours and really play it up at Halloween.

Christmas- Oglebay Park has beautiful lights, yummy treats, and goats. Go pet some goats.
    Last edited by Lilac Tentacles; 10-31-2021 at 07:38 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (10-31-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    231 times
    Time Online
    95d 3h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Ooooh I'm gonna bookmark this for when I get there I only know some awesome national parks but I'm sure you'll visit those. Especially Banff National Park in Alaska. And I wanted to mention the Haida Gwaii Museum but it's in Canada. oops

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (10-31-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach Octopus View Post
    West Virginia- new river gorge bridge... Kind of boring, but it's a big bridge and they have t-shirts.

If you're really looking for a good time, I recommend the fiesta wear outlet in Newell, then a quick drive north to the world's largest teapot in Chester.

West Virginia isn't too crazy with tourist attractions. lol

The mothman museum is in Point Pleasant. I havent been in years, but I enjoyed it.

Edit:
    I almost forgot seasonal stuff:

Halloween- West Virginia Penitentiary is a shutdown jail in moundsville. I don't believe in ghosts, but this place is fucked. They do tours and really play it up at Halloween.

Christmas- Oglebay Park has beautiful lights, yummy treats, and goats. Go pet some goats.
    West Virginia is much closer so we could definitely drive there. Big fan of doing the seasonal activities that places have to offer. I planned our last trip and we did Salem in Massachusetts since it was October. Bad idea btw - insanely crowded! Went to a World Series game in Boston to see Fenway; interesting stadium. The winter holidays are a favorite so I’ll have to look at that park

Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    Ooooh I'm gonna bookmark this for when I get there I only know some awesome national parks but I'm sure you'll visit those. Especially Banff National Park in Alaska. And I wanted to mention the Haida Gwaii Museum but it's in Canada. oops
    The list expands exponentially if we include international spots. Getting to all 50 states will be tough enough haha
    Alaska may be a tough one to get to, that and Hawaii! But we will definitely get there eventually.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Erik. (10-31-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    I came to share, but then felt like the loser kid left out of the game because I'm not American. But it's the SPAM section anyway, so fuck it, I'm going to post regardless.
    I live in Queensland, and, like pretty much the whole east coast of Australia, there's "big" tourist traps. The Big Pineapple (next door to the Big Macadamia Nut) is Qld's most famous of them. However, I'd say the Gold Coast would be the answer that resonates with most people more. The beaches, the shopping, the campy entertainment (e.g., Dracula's restaurant, the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum).
    If you're into something not as obvious though, I definitely recommend fossicking out in Central Queensland - Rubyvale is a great spot for Sapphires - or even going out to Winton in the west of the state, where they have some cool ass dinosaur footprints preserved.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    I did a cross country road trip with a close friend. Started in Rhode Island, and were going to end in California going via rt.66.
    We made a decision to do at least one activity/see something special in every state. Here is our list:
    NY - 911 memorial - because she was an officer, this was necessary.
    NJ - Atlantic City Boardwalk
    Penn - Independence National Park and the Liberty Bell
    D.C. - Drove down Pennsylvania Ave and also viewed the monument
    Virginia - Arlington National Cemetary
    Tennessee - Nashville (Country Music Hall of Fame & Grand Ole Opry) -- Memphis: Lorraine Motel (MLK Memorial) & Beale Street (on a different trip - Graceland)
    Arkansas - Crater of Diamonds State Park (dug for diamonds, fun time but didn't find shit )
    Oklahoma - Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum.
    Texas - Cadillac Ranch & Amarillo Botanical Gardens
    New Mexico - Albuquerque - Petroglyph National Monument
    Arizona - Winslow - Standin on a Corner in Winslow Arizona (as sung in the song Take It Easy by the Eagles)
    Nevada - Hoover Dam and then Vegas

From Vegas I continued on to California while she flew back home. In California, stopped in Barstow (historic Rt 66), then continued to Huntington Beach to touch the Pacific Ocean.

I am a traveler. I have now done 4 cross country trips - going different ways each time. Have driven from R.I. to Mississippi, R.I. to Florida (multiple times), R.I. to Virginia, R.I to Ohio. There are only 4 lower states I have not done an activity or seen yet. They are on the bucket list.
    So if you have any states you want to ask me specifically about (especially if you are looking for more things to do in New England), feel free to inbox me.

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Did you go to Sedona on your AZ visit @(you need an account to see links)? For sure a must see.

Some others for AZ:
    Jerome, cool little copper mining town, has a pretty awesome haunted hotel too if you're into that!

Antelope Canyon is another one (haven't been but looks beautiful)

The Superstition mountains

Phoenix in general

Prescott - lovely city, lots and lots of places to hike.
    Last edited by My name is Yoshikage Kira; 10-31-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Thank you to carrottea for the lovely userbar

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    36d 2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    wisconsin here! chiming in to say absolutely 100% make a trip to see the house on the rock. it's one of the only things in this state i can ever think of that's worth making the trip out to spring green for.

it's a huge house built into the side of a giant rock cliff (as the name implies lol) and houses some really cool stuff. the world's largest indoor carousel, a towering diorama of moby dick, a massive collection of music boxes from around the world, and a TON more

definitely consider this on your trip!

blessed by @Clefairy for a prosperous and eggy 2022
    and blessed by @honeycomb with snek on a string crowley ily