4/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Neopets Solitaire

This is not a discussion about how to play solitaire, or about solitaire strategy or anything like that. This thread is specifically about my experience playing neopets solitaire over the past three weeks or so. That said- you know what my favourite thing is about neopets solitaire specifically?

The computer does not make sure that each game is winnable. Listen, I've played solitaire in other places over the past few years and NOWHERE ELSE do they NOT make sure it's POSSSIBLE TO WIN before you start.

Over the past three weeks I have played sakhmet solitair on neopets.com two hundred and ten times, and until game #162 i did not win a single time. This wasn't bc I'm bad at solitaire or bc I wasn't paying attention; they were literally unwinnable: All four of whichever card I needed would be hidden underneath the cards I needed to stack them on or every sINGLE card in the draw deck was red or- just, it's so goddamn wild! Imagine playing solitaire one hundred and sixty one times without winning a single game- that's crazy.

And then I won twice in a row.

Anyway, i'm halfway through game #211 and I've been thinking about it and I think I should have gotten some kind of trophy for losing SO MANY TIMES. this game is broken and I can't stop playing it. I'm like Garnet playing meat beat mania in Steven Universe; it's mesmerizing.

Update: I misremembered; I've actually played 214 games, not 211.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbis For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (08-05-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    As someone with quite a bit of Neopets Solitaire under her belt (both legit and botted), it is annoyingly infrequent to win. It's because of the limitations on redraws that they have in place. Without that, many many more would be possible.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I go through phases where I'm mesmerized by the game and I'll just keep clicking back to it. This always lasts a couple of days and then I never touch it for months. I also very rarely win and have encountered many impossible-to-win games.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (10-22-2021)

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm both glad and disappointed I'm not the only one who's had this experience haha. I actually don't think the problem is the redraw limit, though- A limited number of redraws is a standard solitaire rule. However, most online solitaire games make sure the thing is solvable while they set the game up, which neopets hasn't done.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Yeah I’ve also noticed multiple games that were fully “stuck” - not just that I made a mistake somewhere, but that all cards of a particular number are buried under something that would require them to clear it. I assumed that was standard in solitaire and this is actually the first I’ve considered the idea that most platforms make sure it IS winnable haha. If you consider playing it analogue & shuffling / dealing out real cards, surely that’d function the neo way right?

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (08-05-2022)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    The fact Neo doesn't make all the games winable makes me play more. When I was little I'd set up an actual spread of cards and play for hours and not all games could be won. It can be frustrating if you're going for the gold trophy but I think that makes it all the sweeter when you do get it.

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you Hollow for the shiny Minior art!
    Thank you ♥ hearts ♥ for the shiny Minior pumpkin!
    Mint born 11/15/2020

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

Druid (10-29-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    The fact Neo doesn't make all the games winable makes me play more. When I was little I'd set up an actual spread of cards and play for hours and not all games could be won. It can be frustrating if you're going for the gold trophy but I think that makes it all the sweeter when you do get it.
    Yeah, I'm honestly not all that bothered by the possibility of unwinnable games at all. I've also had it happen with a physical deck of cards. I suck at shuffling, but I'm gonna pretend that's besides the point. That said, I feel like neopets solitaire is harder/I win way less frequently, but maybe it's because others have have built-in win guarantees and I never noticed. Which means I'm probably not very good at solitaire.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Yeah, I'm honestly not all that bothered by the possibility of unwinnable games at all. I've also had it happen with a physical deck of cards. I suck at shuffling, but I'm gonna pretend that's besides the point. That said, I feel like neopets solitaire is harder/I win way less frequently, but maybe it's because others have have built-in win guarantees and I never noticed. Which means I'm probably not very good at solitaire.
    I think it's harder because of the limited times through the pile. By my house rules I either went through the pile five times or until there was an absolute deadlock and I couldn't make anymore moves.

Mint born 11/15/2020

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    I think it's harder because of the limited times through the pile. By my house rules I either went through the pile five times or until there was an absolute deadlock and I couldn't make anymore moves.
    omg you're right, like I knew that objectively, but completely forgot that when I was making that comment, lmao

When I was playing on my own with real cards I'd just keep going until I won or was locked.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    omg you're right, like I knew that objectively, but completely forgot that when I was making that comment, lmao

When I was playing on my own with real cards I'd just keep going until I won or was locked.
    If there was a 'go until no more moves' then I think the win/loss ratio would be better.

BTW your boo! UB is adorable!

Mint born 11/15/2020