222/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    101d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m

Anyone have an M1 macbook?

I’m studying on moving from windows to macOs after reading so many amazing things about the new generation, i’ve never had an macbook before and i think i can sell my current notebook for the price of the new mac so i won’t need an investment to do it. But i have some doubts about it.

Is it possible to use extransions on a macbook? Like the userscripts we have on here.
    Also, is it possible to run programs like the stealthcore on a mac? I heard it’s been impossible to run windows on the m1 macs so not counting with that.

I do still have an old windows laptop that should be enough for the programs in case those are a NoNo for mac, but at least the scripts would be really helpful already.

Also, any tips would be welcome, i’ve been an iphone user since iphone 4 but never had any apple computer.
    The main reason for the change is because apple system seems to be really faster than windows, i have a gaming laptop from 2019 (i only play neopets xD) and the system is not the greatest even after a factory reboot with nothing instaled, like android phones.

Just wondering what limitations a macbook could bring to my daily task activities.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I can kind of answer some questions and throw my two cents in D

Extensions: Yes, you can use extensions - they are tied to the browser, not the OS. Tapermonkey is accessible on Safari, for example, as are many others. You can even repackage extensions for deployment in safari (or other browsers)

Stealth CORE: no (I think?), but you can maybe arrange that through VMs? I only know of VMware, don't use Stealth CORE and have no idea if that would actually work - just a guess, someone else will probably know more XD

Gaming: neither gaming laptops nor macs are really made for gaming, and a shorter lifespan on laptops is pretty much a given. A well-maintained system, of any kind, will last - you can trash a Mac too. But if all you're doing is neopetting then you aren't making major sacrifices there!

Misc - consider maintenance costs of owning a Mac. Depending on where you live, you may not have access to Apple-authorized repair partners, and in many cases third-party repairs will void the warranty. Even if you can repair the mac through official channels - expect to pay a pretty penny, sometimes as high as the cost of the mac itself. It's a great business model, really - make repairing a good product so difficult and ridiculously expensive that you might as well go and buy the new whatever-it-is.

I am biased against them, but there are pros to owning a mac too: using the OS is really straightforward, owning multiple apple devices is like a dream come true - everything is perfectly in tune with everything else, macOS is freeeee, the displays are to die for and the track pads are hella nice too. And, despite the cons of repairing one, it's just... easier. Whatever happens - you leave it at the Genius Bar, empty your bank account and pick it up in a few days like nothing happened.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    222/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    101d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Thank you so much @(you need an account to see links), all reviews i saw mentioend the trackpad being great, i use a mouse because my trackpad sucks but definetly want to give it a try!

About vmware, i also heard of parallels that by my understanding does the same, but i think those only run on mcs with intel chips, last year apple started making their own (which caused the huge upgrade in all aspects and what called my attention) and those specifically dont seem to support the emulators of windows. But i have a really old windows laptod i used to use before getting my ‘gaming’ laptop on 2019 and i can use it for running programs here in there when needed.

Thank you for clarifying about the extensios, i definetly use those all the time!

And i understand your point being biased against apple, i used to be too, still kinda am and that’s why i’m searching deeper about it so i dont regret later. I always loved how simple things are on my iphone and ipad but having a laptop with those limitations always scared me, but further analyzing my use of a laptop, the only thing that could worry me would be the programs we use for neo lmao.

Also i’m debating on getting the m1 or waiting for the m1x that will be announced next month, so i have 2 more months to think and come to the better decision i can

Pronouns
    He/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    16d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I have a macbook and a PC gaming laptop and I do everything on my macbook, I only ever use the gaming laptop for software and games that aren't useable on macs. I just prefer the interface and navigating on the macbook WAY more than windows, and I honestly have no idea how some windows users are able to navigate without the toolbars that macs have.

Userscripts and extensions are 100% useable on macs, I play neo on mine and probably have around 30+ scripts installed on tampermonkey LOL

I use my PC laptop for programs like MAJIN Score Sender, they can't be run on macs, although I've never tried using a VM with them so maybe it could be possible. You could also try running them with Wine but I've never managed to have anything run properly in Wine. I think I got an old PS2 emulator running once but that was more like an exception considering how many other failed attempts I had with other programs LMAO
    Your old PC laptop should suffice though, before I got my newer PC laptop I was using a really crusty old desktop PC for neopets programs and never had any issues with them.

As far as repairs go, you can have it evaluated for free and then decide if it's worth paying for a repair. I also had a guy at the genius bar take a look at my laptop that had passed its warranty period but knew it would be complete bullshit making me pay for an issue with their products (and it was a pretty huge issue, my display was basically impossible to see), and he managed to "find" a really tiny flaw with the film over my webcam that counted as a manufacturer error and got me a free repair lol, though your mileage may vary of course.

I'm probably biased towards macs though because I've been using them for so long, I just don't like change which includes changing to a different operating system haha.

Had to step away for a year or so due to life being in the way, apologies for the PMs I missed during that time.
    If you are still interested in a trade or sale from that time, please don't hesitate to reach out to me again.