Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What unneeded services and goods do you spend your extra money on?

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    10d 13h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    HelloFresh was definitely a life saver for my husband and I too. We struggled so much with eating out because we both hated grocery shopping with a passion. Also we live in the middle of nowhere so the products are limited. I don't think I can ever go back at this point lol.

On a side note, I have spent an exorbitant amount of money of fucking game packs for The Sims. I hate EA but I just love the sims so much lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    69 times
    Time Online
    42d 7h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    100% my houseplants. it's a bit of an expensive hobby once you get into it but it's done a lot for keeping me motivated day to day. of course i have to love the pickiest, dumbest plants, so i need two mini indoor greenhouses for them since god forbid the dry heated winter air of my apartment touches them. and yes i DO need 42343259 additives to make my soil blends perfect.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Extraterrestrial For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-28-2022),Cherubi (02-12-2022),Corvid (01-30-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 5h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Hmm, I don't buy myself a lot of anything...? Any streaming services I have access to I'm mooching off a friend. I don't order food (I can't justify the delivery fees costing more than the food...).

Probably the most frivilous things I get myself are my hair appointments with my stylist and waxing appointments. I've recently gotten interested in makeup which may be my downfall.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Collectibles which can change month to month so it can be plush, Anime goods, or even pokemon cards
    Team Healers

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    We spend a little extra cash on a cleaning service once a month and meal kit delivery, specifically HelloFresh! We don't have much wiggle room in our budget, but we're both super ADHD and struggle with executive function, so having our meals for the week basically planned out with very little decision-making required is just *chef's kiss*

Meal kits are worth it for minimizing waste when you're just cooking for two people with object permanence issues. Leftovers/extras go in the fridge... so they don't exist any more in our minds... and go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by distanthunder View Post
    HelloFresh was definitely a life saver for my husband and I too. We struggled so much with eating out because we both hated grocery shopping with a passion. Also we live in the middle of nowhere so the products are limited. I don't think I can ever go back at this point lol.
    Me and my roommate just did our first week of Hello Fresh and it was pretty good! I'm not a great cook so it was amazing for me. I saved the recipes (and later found out they're all online) and will try to make some of them myself.

How long have you guys been subscribed? Does the food repeat often enough to notice? We're thinking about subscribing some more, but even eating one a week, it seems the meat were almost on their way out so we froze one and the garlic pruney / old veggies when we got to it for one of our last meals. Do you guys freeze the meat or do something to preserve the veggies?

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I mean, other than my membership here & on neo?

I buy lots of stickers from friends, and I've recently started exploring makeup (my wallet is not a fan of this)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    5d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Me and my roommate just did our first week of Hello Fresh and it was pretty good! I'm not a great cook so it was amazing for me. I saved the recipes (and later found out they're all online) and will try to make some of them myself.

How long have you guys been subscribed? Does the food repeat often enough to notice? We're thinking about subscribing some more, but even eating one a week, it seems the meat were almost on their way out so we froze one and the garlic pruney / old veggies when we got to it for one of our last meals. Do you guys freeze the meat or do something to preserve the veggies?
    Bit of a late reply for me, but! We were subscribed to Dinnerly for nearly a year before swapping over to HelloFresh because we liked their packaging better (Dinnerly just throws everything for the week in a box, HelloFresh bags them up by recipe) and we've had HelloFresh for... probably four or five months now consecutively? The recipes do tend to repeat every couple of months, but since they give you probably two dozen options to choose from, if you aren't ready to have the same thing again so soon, there are several other options you can choose from on the site!

We don't usually have issues with our ingredients going off; we get them every week and cook one a day and then have a takeout day for the last day. Sometimes, we'll have to freeze the meat for the future if we don't feel up to cooking one night, but with fresh veggies and stuff, if we're freezing the meat for a given day, we'll probably figure out a way to work the other ingredients into a later recipe before they go bad (potatoes are the easiest, we just make oven fries XD). Because the food is sent fresh specifically to be eaten the week it arrives, it doesn't keep much more than a week past that.

What we do to make sure our meats are eaten as fresh as possible is order the recipes by meat type based on what keeps the longest. So shrimp first, then fish, then ground turkey, then chicken, then ground beef, then whole beef. We don't get pork recipes (partner doesn't like them) but those would be between chicken and beef.

Seafood -> Poultry -> Pork -> Beef, and eat the smallest "cut" first because those lose freshness quicker -- ground -> strips/slices -> whole.

Some vegetables can be frozen, but we actually have pet hissing cockroaches that love the variety if we take too long to work a skipped ingredient into a later recipe, so it doesn't go to waste XD We've got a collection of extra sauces/spices and frozen meats for the occasional week when our delivery doesn't make it to us in time because of road conditions and the like. Plus, if there are ever any issues with stuff being off as soon as it gets to us, their support is super helpful!

Oh, and idk if you ran into the issue, but the chicken might smell off when you open the package; just drain and rinse it. For some reason, for the chicken specifically, their packaging makes the juices smells absolutely foul. The meat is fine once you've rinsed off the juices, though, and smells like it should. Just something about the way they're packaged in more juice than you usually get chicken in at the grocery store makes it particularly stinky.
    I don't like stuff. I like ~money~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (01-30-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 6h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    my dog has learned she can get alllllll the attention she wants by endlessly pestering me now that I work remotely so today I ordered her a bunch of dog puzzles and a snuffle mat to distract her in the afternoons so I can finally get some work done between the hours of 11am and 3pm omg

this is a geriatric 14 year old dog, how a long morning walk alone fails to pummel her into exhaustion is beyond me

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

r56 (05-21-2022),SpaceyGirl (02-14-2022)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    my dog has learned she can get alllllll the attention she wants by endlessly pestering me now that I work remotely so today I ordered her a bunch of dog puzzles and a snuffle mat to distract her in the afternoons so I can finally get some work done between the hours of 11am and 3pm omg

this is a geriatric 14 year old dog, how a long morning walk alone fails to pummel her into exhaustion is beyond me

omg it looks like she still has the energy of a puppy!! what a well-loved doggo <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    An audible subscription! I've gotten really into audiobooks since the pandemic started and they're a great way to pass the time, and have helped me read more which was one of my resolutions for last year.