Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What unneeded services and goods do you spend your extra money on?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    My take is that any purchase that made you feel happy is totally legit - money can, in fact, buy happiness.

Back in the day, I used to spend a decent amount on MMO things (first LOTRO and then GW2) and then when I stopped playing I definitely moved that to a clothing budget. In the last two years though: skincare and art commissions. I might be a basement gremlin who never leaves the house but my skin is glowing, and I love supporting artists and having dope art. That said, in the last month I have bought hella art prints from artists I love as well because life is short and prints are forever.

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-13-2021),dustyc (09-14-2021),kittyray (09-13-2021),Lyrichord (09-13-2021),Nattiee (09-13-2021),Nyanobyte                      (09-15-2021),Sinnamoon (09-13-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    54d 8h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Haven't splurged on neo lately aside from the premium sale, but other than that i buy premium currency for other games I play (mostly mobile games because I love being disappointed by gacha pulls apparently)

I try to maintain a balance in my paypal to minimize card usage (a small set % of my income gets transferred there regularly) but anything that doesn't go towards that or bills gets thrown into savings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Autobot For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-15-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    adoptables and art commissions for me are my most frequent splurges, though i never feel bad because i love supporting artists, and a lot of the time its my friends anyway LOL

besides that... just like collections stuff, i collect dice sets, enamel pins, and lil trinkets of stuff i'm a fan of

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

"My name isn't Rob, but I'm Robbing"
    -Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

userbar by @charmander and art by @dankruse !

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guil For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (09-16-2021),SpaceyGirl (09-15-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post

Wow! I never thought about doing different dice for different characters... But I only ever play one campaign at a time, one character each (unless I died and the DM was nice enough to make me a new character, whoops!). I'll do that next time I get the chance!

I'll try the headless thing, thank you so much! I thought I was going to have to throw the box away (or see if I can release the moths) but hopefully this will work... I've had mantises before but this is my first African flower! I'm super basic and really wanted the orchid mantis, but it was $50 and I was feeling a little cheap (African flower was only $15!) and it's been a few years since my last one.
    I want an orchid but their parameters are a bit harder to meet than your general mantises are. They need a bit more humidity vs the ones that you can keep at room temp, like the giant africans, carolina mantids, or the ghosts. But I've successfully raised three different species to adulthood and I'm about to buy some more nymphs next month since I only have two adult boys left. And if I get THOSE to adulthood, I'll be investing in some orchids because they are expensive and its no guarantee that they will even live, even if you do everything correctly.

If you havent kept ghosts before (phyllocrania paradoxa is their scientific name) I cant recommend them enough. Super easy to care for, except they spook easily so sometimes you have to coax them to eat lol

Pics of bugs below the cut for those who dont like 'em
    Last edited by Goddammit; 09-13-2021 at 09:48 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Menine (01-05-2022),My name is Yoshikage Kira (09-15-2021),SpaceyGirl (09-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I, too, am a believer of money buying happiness :-D
    I've been splurging on self-care items for myself and bf, clothes (I had to leave my wardrobe and most shoes behind when moving, so it's time to fill up dem closets), GW2/Neo/CoD/Auto Chess, a bajillion cat toys and scratchers, overpriced foods I would normally pass on, frequent salon visits (hair) and charity (arguably very needed, but I do see it as extra expenditure).
    Also went ham on DnD dice and other DnD paraphernalia. We play online so there really is no point, but they are so pretty... sitting in their boxes and never seeing the light of day XDD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gato For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-15-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I've been fake retired(tm) for almost two years now and need to chill a bit, but still very big on spending on things that make you happy. Currently my big ones are home decor & tattoos! Mostly small decor things - art, plants, and like thrifted accent pieces more than actual fancy furniture, but that'll happen one day (current pipe dream is a mid-century modern camel leather sofa). I'm a newbie with tattoos and have an appointment coming up for my third, but I've been loving planning out what's going where and which artists I like etc. This next one is a relatively small (6"?) flash piece, but I'm also stalking the books of this one artist and next time he opens them I have a biiig design planned.

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-15-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanobyte View Post
    Honestly, they aren't all that far off. BUT, you can totally play for free as well and have an enjoyable time. When i first started I refused to spend a cent on it, and a lot of the fancy clothing ends up having recipes you can obtain and craft without having to pay for it with RL money. That said, it does handicap you a bit and it can take forever to get anything done. They are pretty good about using the premium currency as rewards for completing daily tasks and stuff though, so you are able to save up and participate in events, just not as often as the whale players. There are frequent events that feature suits you have to pay for, or that give you 'x' amount of free tries to obtain certain pieces but the free chances are never enough to complete the suit. So you either save diamonds from daily tasks and hoard them for something you really want to complete or end up spending RL money on it to get pretty suit. It is addictive and easy to want to complete everything and have all the newest things. I'd say give it a shot! At the beginning there is so much to do and learn that you won't feel that handicap for not throwing money at it right away. Especially if you are into dressing up characters!

YES GADGETS ARE SO FUN! The latest thing I got was a tortilla press! Hand rolling out corn tortillas is a pain in the ass, so it felt like a justified purchase Oooh! Little tart tins sound adorable! Did you get to use them yet? Do you have a holy grail appliance? We all have that one thing that just gets used nonstop. Mines a Zojirushi rice cooker, that thing is a staple and gets used daily. Perfect rice every time, never over or undercooked. Honestly i might be a little obsessed with it. That and my crockpot. Its a simple one, but its never let me down yet. Idk if anything that i feel like nobody else would have? Hmm. How about you?!
    I downloaded Love Nikki and played it for almost an hour. I feel like there's music/UI sounds missing on a lot of the story screens and it makes me feel a little weird, like my volume is off. I like the clothes though, even though I don't have much now. And some of the suits I can see for the events look crazy!! Not sure I'm going to keep playing but I get another free suit if I log in after 24 hours so I'll try again tomorrow! I was surprised there was VO! But the auto play totally cuts it off before they're done speaking! xD

I did use them! My first attempt at fruit tarts were absolutely delicious, I was very, very shook because I usually burn / overcook / dry out everything. I've been wanting to buy a Zorijushi rice cooker!! And some other appliances, but I think I need to move out and not have roommates before I make a big purchase. My roommates aren't exactly super careful with kitchen things; they've burnt more pans and dented more appliances than I can count I did get a sous vide a year ago and used it quite often for a while! But then one of my roommates got one of those trending cast iron reversible griddles and can cook a perfect steak every time so he just cooks on it in 15 minutes instead of waiting for me to sous vide something for 3 hours and not get a perfect sear on the pan. xD I also got my boyfriend a Korean stone bowl (a dolsot, I think) and he's been making really good bibimbap on it! ...I realize now that a lot of people cook for me. I'm going to say it's probably because I'm a terrible cook, but I try! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Koto View Post
    My take is that any purchase that made you feel happy is totally legit - money can, in fact, buy happiness.

Back in the day, I used to spend a decent amount on MMO things (first LOTRO and then GW2) and then when I stopped playing I definitely moved that to a clothing budget. In the last two years though: skincare and art commissions. I might be a basement gremlin who never leaves the house but my skin is glowing, and I love supporting artists and having dope art. That said, in the last month I have bought hella art prints from artists I love as well because life is short and prints are forever.
    Money can totally buy happiness!! Even if it's temporary sometimes! xD
    Where do you put your art prints? I have quite a few also but I'm out of wall space and I'm too lazy to switch them out since they're all different sizes and I'd have to buy new frames, ahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    I want an orchid but their parameters are a bit harder to meet than your general mantises are. They need a bit more humidity vs the ones that you can keep at room temp, like the giant africans, carolina mantids, or the ghosts. But I've successfully raised three different species to adulthood and I'm about to buy some more nymphs next month since I only have two adult boys left. And if I get THOSE to adulthood, I'll be investing in some orchids because they are expensive and its no guarantee that they will even live, even if you do everything correctly.

If you havent kept ghosts before (phyllocrania paradoxa is their scientific name) I cant recommend them enough. Super easy to care for, except they spook easily so sometimes you have to coax them to eat lol

Pics of bugs below the cut for those who dont like 'em
    Whoaaa, thanks for the pictures! They look so cool! And I didn't know orchids were that much more difficult to keep! Good thing I didn't get them yet! I guess I'll see how I do with my African flower and then also slowly more to more difficult mantises... Maybe I can keep upgrading their living area into one that's more built for pickier mantis!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    @(you need an account to see links) so, we recently bought a house after living in a 600sqft apartment for 5 years and have TONS of wall space :heh: I have quite a few that are definitely more for me than for guests to see and those are all going in my little office nook in the basement. But I actually love switching prints around and moving things! I find its a really easy/cheap way of giving a space a new ~vibe~ without actually doing much.

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-15-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I had a yellow Asian mantis. Not sure why he died at 6 months but on he went from green to yellow on his final adult molt. Was super cool

I think my big unnecessary expense this year was my truck. I don’t need a truck for anything. Live 2 miles from work. But since I sell them I fell in love with them! Has a lot of nice new luxury features and the interior space is huge. I like having people with me in the truck because they feel very cozy and comfortable in it It’s a Ram so when I was looking for the huge decals to put on the side of the bed, they all looked very cheesy to me. Bought it red wheels.

I used to draw monsters a lot so I designed a sick Ram skull decal with fire behind it and had a vinyl guy print it in reflective red vinyl. Nobody else has the design so it is unique to me and I get lots of compliments. Might design a demonic anthro Ram type creature in the same reflective red for the hood. Just need to figure out the pose.

u 'mirin?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

Gato (09-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) so, we recently bought a house after living in a 600sqft apartment for 5 years and have TONS of wall space :heh: I have quite a few that are definitely more for me than for guests to see and those are all going in my little office nook in the basement. But I actually love switching prints around and moving things! I find its a really easy/cheap way of giving a space a new ~vibe~ without actually doing much.
    Wow!! Congrats on becoming a home owner!! Maybe when I have my own place one day, I'll feel more inclined to switch things up xD

Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    I think my big unnecessary expense this year was my truck. I don’t need a truck for anything. Live 2 miles from work. But since I sell them I fell in love with them! Has a lot of nice new luxury features and the interior space is huge. I like having people with me in the truck because they feel very cozy and comfortable in it It’s a Ram so when I was looking for the huge decals to put on the side of the bed, they all looked very cheesy to me. Bought it red wheels.

I used to draw monsters a lot so I designed a sick Ram skull decal with fire behind it and had a vinyl guy print it in reflective red vinyl. Nobody else has the design so it is unique to me and I get lots of compliments. Might design a demonic anthro Ram type creature in the same reflective red for the hood. Just need to figure out the pose.
    I know a lot of truck enthusiasts who definitely don't need them so you're not alone! I wonder if you can write it off as a work purchases for your taxes... I mean, what better way to market a truck than by owning one?
    Designing your own decal sounds so awesome! Care to share a picture? Or maybe it's in the art section somewhere...