Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What unneeded services and goods do you spend your extra money on?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    53d 3h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    neopets (pets and NC.. help me god), nails, my whole vinyl record collection of many years, housewares even though i literally only have one room to decorate, STATIONARY, edibles (i could save so much money other ways, i need them to sleep so it is not a total waste but i do not want to smoke anything...), clothes even though i work 90% of the time and can not wear what i buy to work, car wash so often for no good reason...

slowed down on the housewares and clothes though c: yay

userbar by lyrichord and drawings by wooloo, hollow, honeycomb, & sugarbee, respectively
    thank you all!
    happy happy SUMMER

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    Praying mantises, actually lol What instar did you get your mantis at? They can live over a year from birth to death, or slightly longer, when kept in captivity

I buy d&d dice too.
    It was already fully grown! It's an African flower mantis (Galinthias amoena) and I spent more money today on wax worms just to find out she doesn't like them xD Back to the store for more crickets, I guess...
    How many dice do you have? I have a few sets but I always end up using the same one since it's just always on my desk and Im too lazy to dig the rest out

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnamoon View Post
    I also recently spent an unnecessary amount of money on some houseplants. (and soil, and fertilizer, and new pots...) They make me happy and brighten up my home office space, so I don't feel too bad. I also used to kill every plant I touched, but when my old boss gave me two plants for my birthday, I figured I had to get it together so I wouldn't feel like dookie when I killed them, hahaha.

Definitely the most unnecessary thing I buy is petsite stuff though. Too much!
    Oohhh, how many plants do you have now? I have a bunch of friends who picked up houseplants during the pandemic so I thought I'd get one also! Just a simple nerve plant, should be easy, right?
    Is... is petsite stuff like neopets?

Quote Originally Posted by nattiee View Post
    Honestly for me it's 2 things: skincare and food.

There's only a handful of actual oils/ingredients that are medically proven to guarantee results but every time Sephora has a sale, everything looks so shiny and promising. I think it's the feeling of pampering myself when I buy and use those products that do it for me.

And with food, I love trying new products - especially if they're on sale (sale is my favourite word if you havent noticed ) . Costco can be really bad for me sometimes.
    Your skin must be super soft and smooth! And I feel you with sales, they always get me! Costco is also pretty bad for my wallet. Did you see they're having a spend $100 on P&G (toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc), get $25 back this weekend sale thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Gacha games for meeeeeee. I have to limit myself to only one at a time, because I will whale for a character I really want. I actually had to sit down and give a stern talk to myself, lol.

Fire Emblem Heroes is my main one right now! I just started Genshin Impact, but I told myself I will be free-to-play, and have been MOSTLY good about sticking with that rule. It's been two weeks and I've only spent... $50, maybe? Whereas there have been characters in FEH that I've spent $300+ in a week trying to pull >.>

Thankfully, I have the means to do this, but it just gets ridiculous sometimes!
    OMG, ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, gacha games for lifeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I stopped playing FEH maybe a year ago, but genshin has been taking up my life! I spent $100 trying to roll for Eula but instead pulled a Mona and was quite upset. They just reset the x2 bonus so I'm pretty excited about that! Even though my wallet is crying..

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Halloween decor, Squishmallows, toys for my dog. I also go through phases of spending money on Neo or gacha games oops
    How many squishmallows so you have?!? I have 9 16", 1 jumbo one (it's as big as 4 of the 16"). I have a queen sized bed and they take up half of it xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    neopets (pets and NC.. help me god), nails, my whole vinyl record collection of many years, housewares even though i literally only have one room to decorate, STATIONARY, edibles (i could save so much money other ways, i need them to sleep so it is not a total waste but i do not want to smoke anything...), clothes even though i work 90% of the time and can not wear what i buy to work, car wash so often for no good reason...

slowed down on the housewares and clothes though c: yay
    Have you slowed down a bit on Neopets with all the latest changes + creatable UC news? I used to spend a ton but I haven't spent more than $100 since they nerfed the Brazil cash cards..
    Nails?! I feel like as soon as I do my nails, I'd break them in an hour! I don't know how people keep their nails so clean and neat and beautiful for so long, very impressive!
    I use Benadryl to sleep, so I understand the need for a sleep aid! You can't put a price on a good night's sleep! High five to the clothes also! I have a ton of clothes I never wear anymore because I never leave the house, but I seem to always shop around for more (online).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Ghast (09-12-2021),Nattiee (09-12-2021),Sinnamoon (09-12-2021)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    102d 22h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    I've been spending most of my money on Final Fantasy 14. Been really loving the game and spending all my free time playing it

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-12-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm also getting really into housewares, I have two rooms (br and combined kitchen/livingroom/office) so a little bit more to work with, but I like to keep my sleeping area plain, so most of it is going toward the main room. I jsut moved into a new apartment and I have a zeal for decorating that I've not had before.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Ghast (09-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    15d 7h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Oohhh, how many plants do you have now? I have a bunch of friends who picked up houseplants during the pandemic so I thought I'd get one also! Just a simple nerve plant, should be easy, right?
    Is... is petsite stuff like neopets?
    I have four now! My boss gave me a spider plant and a succulent (Echeveria), and then I've gotten an Anthurium and a snake plant recently. The spider plant had a baby? Which I didn't know that was something plants could do, but I guess they can, hahaha. Nerve plants are so pretty! I'd love to get one, and a fern, and a philodendron, and some aloe, etc... And petsite used to be only Neopets, though recently I've branched off to others. I still love Neo, but navigating the new site is such a pain.

Honeydew the Ryu
    Born: September 2021

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinnamoon For This Useful Post:

disregarding (09-24-2021),SpaceyGirl (09-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    12d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I really enjoy Pokemon cards, which can get pretty expensive.
    Lately, I discovered this place near my house called Binge Bins. They have Amazon returns and other goodies like mail nobody claimed. It's all for a set price like 10 dollars per item or 8, 6, 4, 3, or 2 dollars, depending on the day!
    I like to go there to look for gardening goodies, or pet supplies. You can find some really good deals, just pay attention to whether something is broken, or expired.
    What else, umm... I have a soft spot for cute things. I bought a decorative pillow for the sole reason that it had a hedgehog on it. It's cuuuute.
    Spending money feeds my addiction response, despite this, I am actually very responsible with money and have good savings! Thankfully.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maneki Neko For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-13-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    It was already fully grown! It's an African flower mantis (Galinthias amoena) and I spent more money today on wax worms just to find out she doesn't like them xD Back to the store for more crickets, I guess...
    How many dice do you have? I have a few sets but I always end up using the same one since it's just always on my desk and Im too lazy to dig the rest out
    Too many sets lol I don't actually want to know the amount of money I've spent buying dice since I started five years ago ^^; I try to do dice palettes for each of my differing TTRPG characters, of which I have a lot.

African flowers are so pretty! Put the waxworms in a delicup with some holes poked into the top for ventilation (as well as the bedding stuff, idk what its called, thats in their container you buy them in) and they'll hatch into moths after a bit. Might be more your mantises speed. I have a male adult ghost mantis who is TERRIFIED of waxworms but if I can maneuver one to his mouth with the head cut off, once I'm able to touch the guts (sorry if this is gross!) to his mouth he will take it then as well. Idk where you're located but if you're in the US there's a seller Josh's Frogs that's located in OH where you can get spikes for different types of flies as well :3 Is this your first?

So like. If you're ever down to talk about TTRPGing or praying mantis keeping, hmu! I don't have a whole lot of friends where the interests intersect like that lol
    Last edited by Goddammit; 09-12-2021 at 08:17 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

SpaceyGirl (09-13-2021)

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 19h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 44m
    Totally unneeded things; Neocash pretties and a gacha app called Love Nikki. (If anyone here by any chance plays LN, holla! I'd love to rant & rave over some suits!) Honestly anything that has to do with dress up/customizing im a total whale. These do feel regrettable at times, but I totally love how exciting it is to get that one item you are after or getting that lucky drop.

Useful stuff I end up going all out on things for my dogs and kitchen appliances. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my pets get all excited for new toys. Likewise I get equally excited for a new kitchen gadget to try out. Doesn’t matter if its fancy or something thats ‘As seen on TV’, I will find a reason to need it/use it eventually.

^ How to unlock and care for a Ryugotchi ^

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyanobyte For This Useful Post:

kittyray (09-12-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    I really enjoy Pokemon cards, which can get pretty expensive.
    Lately, I discovered this place near my house called Binge Bins. They have Amazon returns and other goodies like mail nobody claimed. It's all for a set price like 10 dollars per item or 8, 6, 4, 3, or 2 dollars, depending on the day!
    I like to go there to look for gardening goodies, or pet supplies. You can find some really good deals, just pay attention to whether something is broken, or expired.
    What else, umm... I have a soft spot for cute things. I bought a decorative pillow for the sole reason that it had a hedgehog on it. It's cuuuute.
    Spending money feeds my addiction response, despite this, I am actually very responsible with money and have good savings! Thankfully.
    Wow! I wonder how they get their merchandise and if there's a similar store like that near my place.. I love going into thrift shops and bargain stores!
    And I'm glad you're still good with saving despite also loving to spend money! I could probably learn a thing or two from you... xD

Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    Too many sets lol I don't actually want to know the amount of money I've spent buying dice since I started five years ago ^^; I try to do dice palettes for each of my differing TTRPG characters, of which I have a lot.

African flowers are so pretty! Put the waxworms in a delicup with some holes poked into the top for ventilation (as well as the bedding stuff, idk what its called, thats in their container you buy them in) and they'll hatch into moths after a bit. Might be more your mantises speed. I have a male adult ghost mantis who is TERRIFIED of waxworms but if I can maneuver one to his mouth with the head cut off, once I'm able to touch the guts (sorry if this is gross!) to his mouth he will take it then as well. Idk where you're located but if you're in the US there's a seller Josh's Frogs that's located in OH where you can get spikes for different types of flies as well :3 Is this your first?

So like. If you're ever down to talk about TTRPGing or praying mantis keeping, hmu! I don't have a whole lot of friends where the interests intersect like that lol
    Wow! I never thought about doing different dice for different characters... But I only ever play one campaign at a time, one character each (unless I died and the DM was nice enough to make me a new character, whoops!). I'll do that next time I get the chance!

I'll try the headless thing, thank you so much! I thought I was going to have to throw the box away (or see if I can release the moths) but hopefully this will work... I've had mantises before but this is my first African flower! I'm super basic and really wanted the orchid mantis, but it was $50 and I was feeling a little cheap (African flower was only $15!) and it's been a few years since my last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyanobyte View Post
    Totally unneeded things; Neocash pretties and a gacha app called Love Nikki. (If anyone here by any chance plays LN, holla! I'd love to rant & rave over some suits!) Honestly anything that has to do with dress up/customizing im a total whale. These do feel regrettable at times, but I totally love how exciting it is to get that one item you are after or getting that lucky drop.

Useful stuff I end up going all out on things for my dogs and kitchen appliances. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my pets get all excited for new toys. Likewise I get equally excited for a new kitchen gadget to try out. Doesn’t matter if its fancy or something thats ‘As seen on TV’, I will find a reason to need it/use it eventually.
    Love Nikki!!! I always see the ads but every time I want to download it, the reviews all say "must spend too much money for the better clothing" so I've never downloaded it. That game looks way too addicting though! I used to love dressing up little paper characters when I was a kid so I feel like that kind of games brings nostalgia back, except with graphics and way better end results!
    What's the latest kitchen appliance you got? I love getting new gadgets also! But I don't think I've gotten anything new since some tart tins like 6 months ago... And I'm sure those have been around since forever! Is there an appliance you use often that most people wouldn't have?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Maneki Neko (09-13-2021)

Pronouns
    They/Them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    313d 19h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 44m
    Love Nikki!!! I always see the ads but every time I want to download it, the reviews all say "must spend too much money for the better clothing" so I've never downloaded it. That game looks way too addicting though! I used to love dressing up little paper characters when I was a kid so I feel like that kind of games brings nostalgia back, except with graphics and way better end results!
    What's the latest kitchen appliance you got? I love getting new gadgets also! But I don't think I've gotten anything new since some tart tins like 6 months ago... And I'm sure those have been around since forever! Is there an appliance you use often that most people wouldn't have?
    Honestly, they aren't all that far off. BUT, you can totally play for free as well and have an enjoyable time. When i first started I refused to spend a cent on it, and a lot of the fancy clothing ends up having recipes you can obtain and craft without having to pay for it with RL money. That said, it does handicap you a bit and it can take forever to get anything done. They are pretty good about using the premium currency as rewards for completing daily tasks and stuff though, so you are able to save up and participate in events, just not as often as the whale players. There are frequent events that feature suits you have to pay for, or that give you 'x' amount of free tries to obtain certain pieces but the free chances are never enough to complete the suit. So you either save diamonds from daily tasks and hoard them for something you really want to complete or end up spending RL money on it to get pretty suit. It is addictive and easy to want to complete everything and have all the newest things. I'd say give it a shot! At the beginning there is so much to do and learn that you won't feel that handicap for not throwing money at it right away. Especially if you are into dressing up characters!

YES GADGETS ARE SO FUN! The latest thing I got was a tortilla press! Hand rolling out corn tortillas is a pain in the ass, so it felt like a justified purchase Oooh! Little tart tins sound adorable! Did you get to use them yet? Do you have a holy grail appliance? We all have that one thing that just gets used nonstop. Mines a Zojirushi rice cooker, that thing is a staple and gets used daily. Perfect rice every time, never over or undercooked. Honestly i might be a little obsessed with it. That and my crockpot. Its a simple one, but its never let me down yet. Idk if anything that i feel like nobody else would have? Hmm. How about you?!

^ How to unlock and care for a Ryugotchi ^