Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    12d 3h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

How to use a VPN with Neopets?

Hi there!

I am not very tech savvy, so I wanted to learn how to properly use a VPN (like NordVPN?) for shells and side accounts in order to not link them to my main in any way.
    Can the VPN make sure it is always the same IP, or will it constantly change? Doesn't that seems suspicious, or are TNT used to people using VPN's by this point?

I simply am wondering if this scenario is possible:

Main account: Home IP

Shell 1: IP Address Always the Same from Tokyo
    Shell 2: IP Address Always the Same from Toronto
    Shell 3: IP Address Always the Same from Texas

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I am a newbie to IP spoofing and such!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I can speak to Nord specifically, which is what I use-

So every now and then Nord will eventually cycle out their individual IPs (although sometimes they appear again LOL); for example if I'm using a Chicago based one labeled "United States #2000" I will keep that in my history/top pinned VPNs and always use that specific one for that account. When it cycles out I just pick a new Chicago based one and haven't had any issues. You're on the same one long enough and then swap to something still regionally close that it doesn't make a blip, in my experience. Even swapping continents because I forgot or didn't properly write down the original region I accessed a shell from didn't have any negative effects (granted of course I'm not swapping back and forth across the globe every day lol).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (08-26-2021),Maneki Neko (08-24-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    12d 3h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I can speak to Nord specifically, which is what I use-

So every now and then Nord will eventually cycle out their individual IPs (although sometimes they appear again LOL); for example if I'm using a Chicago based one labeled "United States #2000" I will keep that in my history/top pinned VPNs and always use that specific one for that account. When it cycles out I just pick a new Chicago based one and haven't had any issues. You're on the same one long enough and then swap to something still regionally close that it doesn't make a blip, in my experience. Even swapping continents because I forgot or didn't properly write down the original region I accessed a shell from didn't have any negative effects (granted of course I'm not swapping back and forth across the globe every day lol).
    Okay! Thats what I used to do when I used NordVPN before, but I wasn't sure about it because I was scared that Neopets gets suspicious if you change your IP address too much. Also, what if other people are using that same server? I guess I don't really understand VPN's, IP's, and safety on Neopets as I dont really know what they flag as suspicious or not. I just want them to think im a normal player, nothing shifty over here.. keep walking.. haha!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    Okay! Thats what I used to do when I used NordVPN before, but I wasn't sure about it because I was scared that Neopets gets suspicious if you change your IP address too much. Also, what if other people are using that same server? I guess I don't really understand VPN's, IP's, and safety on Neopets as I dont really know what they flag as suspicious or not. I just want them to think im a normal player, nothing shifty over here.. keep walking.. haha!
    Yeah obviously you don't want to be switching all the time but if you have to change to a different one after like 4-5 months as long as it's in the same locale and you keep using the new one for the next half year it really shouldn't matter. As for having other players on the same VPN, I think the pool of IPs is big enough and the Neopets playerbase small enough that you shouldn't run into any trouble with that... usually it's the free VPNs that will probably have a blanket IP ban on them (because too many ppl used them to try and cheat LOL) but even if that happened to a Nord one you wouldn't be able to login from the get go so as long as YOU aren't running like a huge item duping and UC genning scheme, there should be no cause for alarm haha. If you're playing legit you really have nothing to worry about, just remember to double check the VPN is up before logging in (maybe set up the kill switch to close your session if you use private browsing like me) and that you chose the right one for the right account.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Maneki Neko (08-27-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    Kill switch is invaluable on Nord! I have it so it kills the one browser I use for alts, so I theoretically should never log in when I'm not connected.

I've also used dedicated proxies before (I used InstantProxies, and used FoxyProxy on Firefox to quickly switch in between), and it was nice to have the peace of mind of knowing only I was on those specific ips, and that each one was separate for each set of accounts. It became less cost effective though to have one per alt ahaha.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (08-26-2021),Maneki Neko (08-27-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    12d 3h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Thank you everyone for the help! I decided on a VPN and things are going smoothly