Thread: I finally did it/it's finally happening!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m

I finally did it/it's finally happening!

The light is at the end of the tunnel and it is MOVING DAY TOMORROW!!! My partner and I are hyped. I packed up my shit the moment I got boxes. As soon as my partner gets off work tomorrow we will be getting the keys to our new apartment. I will finally be able to sleep and breathe better. I will finally have enough space that's livable. I will finally have heat during Michigan winters and cool air during heat waves. I'm going from 297 to 850 square feet, y'all. I can paint, read, research, and design again! It feels great.

The apartment will be pretty empty. Does anyone have any interior design tips/handy furniture suggestions? I only have a TV, a bed, and some wall tapestries. I want to make the place feel homely and not too empty. I am excited to redesign my life o m g I wish it was tomorrow already!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (08-15-2021),Clefairy (08-15-2021),Cookie Tray (08-26-2021),genesis (08-15-2021),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (08-16-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Congratulations! Getting a fresh start like that is always so exciting!

I'm also working on furnishing a new apartment and the only big advice I can think of is to be careful where you get upholstered furniture from. I know somebody who got something off wayfair, which is pretty reputable (I'm getting some stuff from there), and it ended up having bedbugs. If you're handy, I've seen some cool ikea hacks.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (08-12-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Sounds like this will be a very positive step for yourself and your partner. I'm glad to hear you're getting out of the dodgy situation, whilst also getting an upgrade in size and conditions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (08-12-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Congratulations! Getting a fresh start like that is always so exciting!

I'm also working on furnishing a new apartment and the only big advice I can think of is to be careful where you get upholstered furniture from. I know somebody who got something off wayfair, which is pretty reputable (I'm getting some stuff from there), and it ended up having bedbugs. If you're handy, I've seen some cool ikea hacks.
    Oh my goodness. I've had bedbugs before and they are a nightmare. I'm so sorry, I hope you are/were able to get rid of them. I usually like buying used as much as possible but bb's have always been on the back of my mind. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at Ikea stuff! I like their drawer systems so I'll probably start there.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    Oh my goodness. I've had bedbugs before and they are a nightmare. I'm so sorry, I hope you are/were able to get rid of them. I usually like buying used as much as possible but bb's have always been on the back of my mind. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at Ikea stuff! I like their drawer systems so I'll probably start there.
    It wasn't me thankfully, but a family friend. I think she was able to get rid of them alright, but I heard it was a nightmare.

Used is definitely legit! I've done that before, but I'm arranging a lot of this remotely as it's a long-distance move and I've found it's easier to work with things in stock and guaranteed delivery.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Congrats dear!!! Moving to a better place is always good news and it's so good that you'll get to go back to your hobbies and health soon!! ♥ Huge congrats hug and wish ya live your best times in your new apartment!

As for ideas! Pinterest is my ally when i look for diy's and home decor! And don't understimate the value of cheap or free stuff, when i first moved into my house i made good kitchen and room drawers and my first cat scraper using old wooden boxes i got for free at my veggies shop!

Also used recycled pallets to build a wood storage! I know there're a lot of diy ideas to make with them, on reddit and pinterest there's a lot of things!

León the Lion Ryu,
    the "Board Games hoarder"
    Born || 2020~11~15

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (08-13-2021),Gato (08-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    The light is at the end of the tunnel and it is MOVING DAY TOMORROW!!! My partner and I are hyped. I packed up my shit the moment I got boxes. As soon as my partner gets off work tomorrow we will be getting the keys to our new apartment. I will finally be able to sleep and breathe better. I will finally have enough space that's livable. I will finally have heat during Michigan winters and cool air during heat waves. I'm going from 297 to 850 square feet, y'all. I can paint, read, research, and design again! It feels great.

The apartment will be pretty empty. Does anyone have any interior design tips/handy furniture suggestions? I only have a TV, a bed, and some wall tapestries. I want to make the place feel homely and not too empty. I am excited to redesign my life o m g I wish it was tomorrow already!
    Congratulations!! I can almost feel the stress leaving you from all the way over here on the west coast! Bad neighbors can be absolutely traumatizing and I know how hopeless it can feel with property management does absolutely nothing to help

I think there's a furniture shortage everywhere right now! Some of my friends went to Ikea here on the west coast and stock was pretty limited; most of the popular items they wanted were out of stock.. And remember that Ikea furniture is usually not real wood and won't last as, say, our grandmother's old side table that she's had for 50 years. That said, I still have a bunch of ikea stuff! It's cheap and when it breaks down, I could go buy another probably as opposed to paying for a really expensive one that might last me decades.. For the stuff I know was going to be used a lot and I wanted good quality, like a sectional couch or a china cabinet, I scoured craigslist, facebook market, offer up, etc. I had notifications turned on for all new listings! It took me like 5-6 months to finally find a sectional for an amazing price ($400!) but I was pretty happy with it. I think new, the couch would've been at least $1,000. This was pre covid; we've had the couch for over 5 years and it's still in great condition and super comfy. We also got a pool table for $50 and some drawers, book shelves, lots of cheap tables that's come and gone..

My only advice is to not over decorate or rush the process! It might feel empty but I think it'll be better to take it slow and think about each piece a bit before purchasing. Else, you might overfill and find it's not to your liking and then have to sell or toss something to get something else that you found you like more. I'm not sure if it's just a me thing or something, but I love browsing furniture pieces and researching possibilities before buying (or before stalking craigslist, etc). You also learn a lot buying things slowly.. Like you find out what type of wood you like or that this couch you thought would be comfortable absolutely sucks because the back pillow is not attached and keeps getting smushed down and you should probably buy a couch with an attached pillow next time and good thing you only bought the 1 piece set instead of the 3 piece..

But to each their own! Do whatever makes you happy! Congratulations again!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceyGirl For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (08-18-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Plushee Boree View Post
    Congrats dear!!! Moving to a better place is always good news and it's so good that you'll get to go back to your hobbies and health soon!! ♥ Huge congrats hug and wish ya live your best times in your new apartment!

As for ideas! Pinterest is my ally when i look for diy's and home decor! And don't understimate the value of cheap or free stuff, when i first moved into my house i made good kitchen and room drawers and my first cat scraper using old wooden boxes i got for free at my veggies shop!

Also used recycled pallets to build a wood storage! I know there're a lot of diy ideas to make with them, on reddit and pinterest there's a lot of things!
    Thanks for the wishes! So far..so good! It took a few days to move the stuff, clean, and rest but I am feeling so much better. We just had a storm and usually wood is in high demand, and I found some free planks by someone's trash, so I got those! Now I have to learn how to make them into boxes~ thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Congratulations!! I can almost feel the stress leaving you from all the way over here on the west coast! Bad neighbors can be absolutely traumatizing and I know how hopeless it can feel with property management does absolutely nothing to help

I think there's a furniture shortage everywhere right now! Some of my friends went to Ikea here on the west coast and stock was pretty limited; most of the popular items they wanted were out of stock.. And remember that Ikea furniture is usually not real wood and won't last as, say, our grandmother's old side table that she's had for 50 years. That said, I still have a bunch of ikea stuff! It's cheap and when it breaks down, I could go buy another probably as opposed to paying for a really expensive one that might last me decades.. For the stuff I know was going to be used a lot and I wanted good quality, like a sectional couch or a china cabinet, I scoured craigslist, facebook market, offer up, etc. I had notifications turned on for all new listings! It took me like 5-6 months to finally find a sectional for an amazing price ($400!) but I was pretty happy with it. I think new, the couch would've been at least $1,000. This was pre covid; we've had the couch for over 5 years and it's still in great condition and super comfy. We also got a pool table for $50 and some drawers, book shelves, lots of cheap tables that's come and gone..

My only advice is to not over decorate or rush the process! It might feel empty but I think it'll be better to take it slow and think about each piece a bit before purchasing. Else, you might overfill and find it's not to your liking and then have to sell or toss something to get something else that you found you like more. I'm not sure if it's just a me thing or something, but I love browsing furniture pieces and researching possibilities before buying (or before stalking craigslist, etc). You also learn a lot buying things slowly.. Like you find out what type of wood you like or that this couch you thought would be comfortable absolutely sucks because the back pillow is not attached and keeps getting smushed down and you should probably buy a couch with an attached pillow next time and good thing you only bought the 1 piece set instead of the 3 piece..

But to each their own! Do whatever makes you happy! Congratulations again!!
    Haha yes the stress is greatly reduced! It's so quiet here my brain does not know how to process this lol. I found a gem online from someone who makes furniture by hand, this is what my partner and I are almost sure on:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    41d 10h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Wow, that looks super nice! Definitely something your guests would remember! I'm probably going to picture that in my mind next time I go couch shopping xD
    Do you know if it's comfy? Will it bother you guys if you can't have yours knees at a 90 degree angle?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyGirl View Post
    Wow, that looks super nice! Definitely something your guests would remember! I'm probably going to picture that in my mind next time I go couch shopping xD
    Do you know if it's comfy? Will it bother you guys if you can't have yours knees at a 90 degree angle?
    Not sure if it's comfy yet, but we prefer to be closer to the ground. I have bad knees, so the less angle the better lol. If I have a guest that is uncomfortable we have pillows to hopefully help