Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I completed my first semester of college.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    16d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudboots View Post
    WOW That is great Wish I had the courage. I studied law, got my degree never even worked in law right after that I studied Graphic design. Much more my thing. Work is just really hard to come by these days. Kids with no skills design amazing things. So yeah part of me want to study medicine but at 35 I think its to late
    I know it's cliche but it's never too late; personal ancedote, my grandmother was an RN and went back to get her law degree in her 60's. (She developed alzhimer's before completing it, but she would have otherwise). My suggestion if you are up for it is to see if RPN/LPN/LVN (whatever you call it) is for you? 2 year college program. You can always upgrade to RN if you decide its right for you. For perspective, nurses I know around here end up retiring at around 55-60 because of the money they made. People like my mom managed to retire before 50. It's quite a flexible schedule!

Or, if it pays well you can even get a PSW/Nurses aide licence in 6 months. Where I live, they are even offering the program for free. They also start at $24 an hour in my area, in a couple of years you will be at $29 an hour with a pension and benefits. I'm aware that nursing aides have a different role from a nurse, but honestly if you can hack it in that setting, you'll thrive as a nurse. Sorry to rant on but I wanted to let you know you have options!

@(you need an account to see links) thank you for the encouragement! I'm in Ontario. I heard its quite hard to get into a decent paying social work job. Don't even bother with an associate's/diploma in SW, you need a bachelors and more likely a masters...I got lucky that my current employer has lots of opportunity for growth. There are social work jobs, many of them with housing/OW. They have to consider my application first because i'm internal, so there's a foot in the door which I know so many don't have.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyfloss For This Useful Post:

phantasia (08-09-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Great! I'm so happy for you and I'm sure you'll get that 4.0 you're aiming for. Congrats for finding your way and not giving up!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    709 times
    Time Online
    83d 17h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Congratulations on finishing the semester and doing so well! So very proud of you. Those cupcakes looks delicious! Social work can be difficult but rewarding. You’ve totally got this!

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    140d 21h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    Congratulations! I am sure next semester will be even better, don't give up. Those cupcakes look amazing.