Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I completed my first semester of college.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    16d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

I completed my first semester of college.

And I'm so relieved!

I have already graduated college (I guess americans would call it community college?) twice. It was for food service worker (so essentially think a prep cook/server who deals with theraputic diets) and in Alzhimer's care/understanding. I was a dietary aide for a couple of years, but I hated the job. I liked working with populace (elderly), but not the job itself. I tried going back to school for Nursing, which I was NOT cut out for.

I took a break and tried computer technician and network support since I actually did decently in computer classes and engineering in high school. Due to mental health issues and the fact it was all online when I applied, I was not successful. At all. I ended up failing out. Had no idea what to do for school. I had always wanted to go into social work as a teenager, but my parents shot that down and said I would not be cut out for that line of work.

Well, it took me a long time to realize this but; I live on my own now. I paid for all my education, my parents never contributed a dime and instead decided to use that money for investment properties smh. (I'm aware that I shouldn't "expect" my parents for help. It's just odd to see them help my younger siblings with college, but me? Nah fam you on your own). So I said fuck it. I'm the one paying my own way. My parents have absolutley no say in what I do. As some of you may know, I was raised in a LDS household. I'm slowly shaking that mindset.

And that social work course? The one my parents said I'd be terrible at? I'm passing first semester with a 3.5 GPA! All while working full time in long term care. Next semester I'm aiming for 4.0 so that I can apply to university. I'm not letting anyone stop me, and I proved to myself that "Yes, you can handle this course!"

Bonus: Celebration goodies, baked by myself

Here is to next semester being just as good or even better! I just had to tell someone.
    Last edited by fairyfloss; 08-09-2021 at 03:15 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fairyfloss For This Useful Post:

Autobot (08-09-2021),Cinnamoroll (08-09-2021),Gato (08-10-2021),Gorilla (08-09-2021),Ice (08-09-2021),nousha (08-09-2021),TsUNaMy WaVe (08-10-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,164 times
    Time Online
    557d 12h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Congratulations, that's amazing, well done!

I'm really glad you've gone ahead and done this despite the lack of support from your family, though I do wish you had it. You're gonna rock it!
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    42d 5h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    Amazing job!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wandas For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Congrats! I love this!

"but my parents shot that down and said I would not be cut out for that line of work."
    I can kind of relate in terms of parents being unsupportive of what you want to do. It can be a kick in the gut for sure. I'm so glad you've decided to pursue. Not that you had anything to prove before, but it's awesome to that not only are you doing it, you're crushing it!

silly question - is LDS Latter Day Saints?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    48d 12h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    It’s so inspiring to read stories like this. Congratulations and I hope you get your 4.0 GPA!! You need to give yourself more credit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NeopetLandy For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    36d 13h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Congratulations!!

Good on you for pursuing something that makes you truly happy, AND proving your parents wrong about it. It's such an amazing feeling to achieve a personal goal like that, especially after other people have tried to discourage you. I'm sure you'll do even better in your next semester!
    Custom Userbar made by (you need an account to see links)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyc For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    950 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Congrats on rocking it your first semester, that is awesome!! It's so inspiring to hear your story and you are so strong and resilient! I really hope the further you go down the path the more you fall in love with it and the work.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    16d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Thank you everyone for the kind wishes! I actually feel like i'm learning something and making a difference within my community. I always wanted a job where I can help people; this is where I can shine.

@(you need an account to see links) yes LDS is another name for mormon They actually want to be called "members of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints" now because mormon/LDS is too offensive to them...I will not be participating in this lol sorrynotsorry

I won't let you all (or myself) down! There's 8 courses next semester, i'm really gonna have to get organized. How do you guys keep organized in school, if or when you went?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fairyfloss For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-09-2021),Nattiee (08-09-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    88d 22h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyfloss View Post
    And I'm so relieved!

I have already graduated college (I guess americans would call it community college?) twice. It was for food service worker (so essentially think a prep cook/server who deals with theraputic diets) and in Alzhimer's care/understanding. I was a dietary aide for a couple of years, but I hated the job. I liked working with populace (elderly), but not the job itself. I tried going back to school for Nursing, which I was NOT cut out for.

I took a break and tried computer technician and network support since I actually did decently in computer classes and engineering in high school. Due to mental health issues and the fact it was all online when I applied, I was not successful. At all. I ended up failing out. Had no idea what to do for school. I had always wanted to go into social work as a teenager, but my parents shot that down and said I would not be cut out for that line of work.

Well, it took me a long time to realize this but; I live on my own now. I paid for all my education, my parents never contributed a dime and instead decided to use that money for investment properties smh. (I'm aware that I shouldn't "expect" my parents for help. It's just odd to see them help my younger siblings with college, but me? Nah fam you on your own). So I said fuck it. I'm the one paying my own way. My parents have absolutley no say in what I do. As some of you may know, I was raised in a LDS household. I'm slowly shaking that mindset.

And that social work course? The one my parents said I'd be terrible at? I'm passing first semester with a 3.5 GPA! All while working full time in long term care. Next semester I'm aiming for 4.0 so that I can apply to university. I'm not letting anyone stop me, and I proved to myself that "Yes, you can handle this course!"

Bonus: Celebration goodies

Here is to next semester being just as good or even better! I just had to tell someone.

WOW That is great Wish I had the courage. I studied law, got my degree never even worked in law right after that I studied Graphic design. Much more my thing. Work is just really hard to come by these days. Kids with no skills design amazing things. So yeah part of me want to study medicine but at 35 I think its to late

18. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    708 times
    Time Online
    157d 2h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Holy smoke congrats on completing your semester and rising above what others said you could not do. I know Social Work can be difficult to get into (in know here it's limited) so congrats! And all the best next semester!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

fairyfloss (08-09-2021)