Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workout Plan & Diet Suggestions?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m

Workout Plan & Diet Suggestions?

Hi all, I had a few questions that some of you may be able to answer. I've been working out for 3 weeks now, as I have a acquired a belly and gained 30 pounds/~14 kgs the last year. 171 lbs is what I weigh right now, and this is the most I've ever weighed. It's also the most pain I've ever been in due to being stationary during quarantine.

For the past three weeks, I've been doing basic bridges because my hips and back are very weak. I've also been riding my stationary bike for 7-9 miles. This has seen some progress as I don't feel pain by getting on the floor to workout and I can get off the floor easily now. I do this routine every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I want to give myself rest days in between due to soreness. However, I still feel sore after the rest day in my back.

For diet I eat oatmeal before workout, then food with protein after workout and pay close attention to not eating too many calories for my height (5 ft 8 inch). Am I doing anything wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I should be seeing a doctor/nutritionist, I have a doctors appt coming up soon. I'm just wondering, in the meantime, if anyone had a similar process/can share with me how to deal with muscle soreness? I really don't want to omit today for exercise, but I don't want to exercise while still sore.

Also

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Zapdos (07-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Im assuming you were pretty sedentary before becoming active again DOMS is a bitch and gets better over time, plug your info into an IIFYM calculator and make sure youre eating enough protein use a foam roller if you have access to one and hot baths help.

Good luck, take it slow if you have to just make sure you keep exercising when you can

i cant recieve private messages on here im not ignoring u

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-15-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    The biggest thing to remember with losing weight: it takes time, patience and commitment. Its mostly diet and ensuring calorie deficit with enough physical activity to offset your caloric intake. I would strongly suggest seeing a dietician in terms of eating because everyone’s needs are different. A good basic rule of thumb: when eating a meal, think of it as a plate: 1/2 of your plate is vegetables, 1/4 of your plate is protein and 1/4 of your plate is a starch. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Fruits, veggies. nuts, cheeses, etc make for great snacks inbetween meals if you need it.

As for working out, typically doing weight training is more effective for fat loss. Cardio is great for heart health and overall wellness, but you’ll need to incorporate weight exercises as well if you want to burn fat and build muscle instead. Also keep in mind that with being active, you may reach fitness plateaus where you’ll need to change your routine as your fitness level increases. If you have the privilege to do so, you can also work with a trainer for that. Also cannot stress this enough: stretch stretch stretch! Do a proper warm up and cool down when working out. If you find you’re really sore, take more time off to rest, take a warm bath and keep stretching your body regularly. If you overwork yourself, you’ll end up causing more harm than good.

Another thing too, some people struggle to lose weight and/or easily gain weight due to various medical reasons. Whether it’s a hormonal or thyroid issue, or even can be genetic, it’s always best to consult with your family physician if you find you are struggling to lose and/or keep excess weight off.

One last thought: it’s totally okay to have a bit of stomach fat. That is completely normal and human. Everyone’s bodies are different, and we all carry weight differently. Try to always love your body instead of fighting against it. With that being said: There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight. If that’s something you want to do for yourself, that’s totally fine! Just remember to be kind to yourself, especially if you find that you’re not losing weight as quickly as you’d like. We are more than a number on a scale or a size indicator on the tag of your clothing

Sorry that was long and ramble-y. I’m not a professional by any means, but that’s just my perspective and suggestions based off of my own experience with weight, exercise and food.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-15-2021),Cat Purrson (07-24-2021),Gorilla (07-18-2021),kittyray (07-14-2021),Koto (07-14-2021),Nattiee (07-14-2021)

Gyaoo!
    Pronouns
    【she ⚡ her】
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    330 times
    Time Online
    52d 6h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Hey! I'm 5ft9 and weigh a little bit more than you, and totally feel the struggle of working back through the 70kgs. Lowest I've been recently was 75kg but after an appendectomy I'm back around 83kg.
    Before this I went from 90kg down to 75kg over of six months.
    The things that helped me the most were:

Portion control - if I was getting takeaway, like a thai curry, I'd eat half and save half for another day.
    Sugars - I stopped drinking ice coffees, which was extremely hard (I was fully addicted as a coping mechanism), but this made a huge impact.
    Working out - Fitting in a workout at the gym ~3 times or more a week helped, though putting on muscle will make your weight go up!

I think the #1 killer is sugars though. Don't go sugar free of course, but for me I try to keep it as low as possible each day (except recently after my surgery lol oops).

Another note though and it may not be helpful, but you are an extremely healthy weight for your size, don't forget BMI is less accurate the taller you are and doesn't account for muscles.

Thank you Zenitsu and Greyfaerie for my siggy UBs respectively!
    Thank you Hollow for the vector art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zapdos For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-15-2021),Cat Purrson (07-24-2021),Cinnamoroll (07-14-2021),Nattiee (07-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Echoing @(you need an account to see links) - especially around the weight training vs cardio.

I wrote this whole spiel and then realized you were only asking about soreness LOL. Being sore is great because it means you're doing the things! The build up of lactic acid from using muscles you dont typically use is what makes you sore. The best things you can do for yourself is to hydrate & stretch before and after workouts. Epsom salt baths can help, and sometimes making sure you have adequate magnesium intake but nothing will ever beat hydration and stretching! ..oh and listening to your body. If you need a rest, be kind to yourself

I'm really excited for your wellness journey! I've recently discovered the importance of gut health - When you go see your doctor I recommend asking if probiotics are right for you (this is not an ad lol). Gut bacteria apparently impacts your metabolism.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-15-2021),Cinnamoroll (07-14-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    14d 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I lost 23kg recently. I've always been fat, since I was a kid. As a consequence, I never had a good relationship with food.
    But last year I decided to change and I fell in love with the "fitness world". So if I could give someone advice I would say to avoid too extreme measures, be patient and consistent. It is not overnight that we get fat and therefore it will not be overnight that we will lose all weight.
    Extreme measures lead to eating disorder. I have been there...

So, my tips are:
    - Try new recipes. Healthy food can be very tasty, you just need to find what you like and works for you.
    - Drink water. Sometimes we confuse hunger with thirst.
    - Strength training! Muscles are very important.
    - Increase your overall protein intake. It will give you more satiety and help build muscle.
    - Try to eat more fruits and vegetables. If you don't like it, try fitting it into a recipe.
    - Beware of the fitness industry and its products. There is a lot of false advertising.

Oatmeal is great, I love it and I eat everyday. However i think it is more suitable for a post workout meal or in another time of the day. Oats have a slow digestion, which may not be interesting to eat before training. It is better to eat lighter foods, easier to digest like a banana (which has a significant amount of carbohydrates that can give you quick energy for your workout). But if you don't feel uncomfortable, just keep eating your oatmeal before workout, thats just fine.

When I first started to lifting weight I also feel soreness. I had back pain for the first few months. It took a while to pass, but it did. I had almost no lean mass, so anything took me to pain. But it gets better, don't worry.

And If you have an opportunity, definitely consult a dietitian.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anfitria For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-15-2021),Bimbo (07-18-2021),Cinnamoroll (07-14-2021),Nattiee (07-14-2021),Zapdos (07-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    @(you need an account to see links) thanks for the calculator advice, I'll def be using it now

@(you need an account to see links) I've had hormonal and thyroid issues in the past (hyper) and it's def something I will be asking my doc to check when I see them in 2 weeks. Crossing my fingers for good tests. & I've always hated fad diets, my sister and friends try all of those and they never work. So at least that's not the case with me, I've always only drank lots of water, eat lean proteins, fruits, and veggies. I'm not necessarily upset that I'm not losing weight fast, I just read that exercise boosts energy & mood, it used to, but this week I am extremely fatigued. I appreciate your wholesome advice though, and will keep it in mind when I get overwhelmed.

@(you need an account to see links), thanks for the encouragement! I too am a sugar fiend, only chocolate though. I've toned it down to only chocolate protein shakes and a bar of Carlos V chocolate a day. When quarantine started I was eating like, bags of M&M's a day. Probably how I got to this point, honestly. You're right tho, sugar is a big problem.

@(you need an account to see links) thanks for the reminder of magnesium and probiotics! My mom is a naturopath (yuk), however, some of the supplements she suggested to me long ago have escaped my brain and have helped me in the past.

A big thanks to all of you and I have a note pad of all of your suggestions, this helped a ton. I know y'all said something about baths...which are my favorite thing tbh. But, I live in a place with no bath no weights either. However, I am moving next month and will have access to all of those things again. Living in this place has seriously damaged my ability to freely roam. it's very small. so that has been a factor as well. I took a rest day yesterday and feel a bit better today, and will do some light workouts. Back pain sucks but I probably should have seen that coming because I was a sedentary sloucher for so long. I def won't give up, but this week in particular has been rough. Again a big thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement! I've never really talked about this stuff before but I'm glad that I finally did.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Nattiee (07-15-2021),Zapdos (07-16-2021)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Hey Dracarys! Losing weight is a mega-pain in the butt. If you don't mind, I can share what's worked for me in the past, and my own story?

I started weight training ~3x a week around 4 years ago. I didn't make any changes to my diet. While I mostly maintained, my weight did slowly creep up over a period of about a year and a half. When my friend started a new gym and training program, it came with weight management, most of which focused on calorie cutting. I'm a competitive person by nature, so me and her decided to go at this same program together. I started up with the app MyFitnessPal (they have automated plans that calculate if you put in your current weight and how much you want to lose), and sure enough, by keeping to that calorie amount each day, I shed 30 pounds in a matter of months! It was awesome. My grocery store trips did increase in price, because I was buying prepackaged things in order to be able to track calories, but it was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

I managed to maintain my weight across the pandemic, but I didn't lose any either. I also moved states, which meant finding a new gym. So I found one - the same program my friend had been using - which is weight training, with optional high-intensity interval training and cardio days if you feel like it. (I usually avoid those lol.) But nothing really changed until the trainer (who is a certified nutritionist as well) decided to change up what macros I was eating each day, rather than calories - i.e., the portion of carbs to protein to fats. When he increased my carbohydrates, I shed a ton of FAT in like, 3 weeks. That was great! It was oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs in the mornings, with carb-heavy meals at noon, and a light dinner.

Then... I plateaued. I stopped losing any fat. NOooooo!!!

So he changed me up again a few weeks ago. Now, instead of a pasta lunch every day, I eat... veggies. It's... better than I thought it would be, actually. I kept that oatmeal/hard-boiled egg breakfast - though it's toast instead of oatmeal, now - and for lunch, I do chopped zucchini, asparagus, onions, mushrooms if I'm feeling it, tofu, and blanched almonds on cauliflower rice. (I also pair this with a protein shake.) If you cook them all for about 5 minutes in the pan with a marinade of your choice... it's actually GOOD! And I don't like veggies as a rule! When I started eating this for lunch, I dropped belly fat really quick in 3 weeks. The key part for me was being able to buy the veggies pre-sliced, because my ADHD brain doesn't let me make a meal if I can't think past "prepare the ingredients." So it may help if you can find veggies pre-sliced, though it will mean you're going to the grocery a couple times a week instead of maybe the one time you're used to.

Sooo... to sum up, I think all bodies are different. For me, I could work out all day every day and probably not notice any results unless I eat differently and change up my diet, whether it be calorie restriction or macros changes. And you may have to do both - for me, simple calorie restriction only didn't work after a while. I'm also a person who doesn't mind eating the same foods day after day. It may be a different journey for you, but the important part is, you've already started! Doing any kind of simple activity along with changing up your diet is a very possible key to success - I wish you the best of luck!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-20-2021),nousha (07-18-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Hey Dracarys! Losing weight is a mega-pain in the butt. If you don't mind, I can share what's worked for me in the past, and my own story?

I started weight training ~3x a week around 4 years ago. I didn't make any changes to my diet. While I mostly maintained, my weight did slowly creep up over a period of about a year and a half. When my friend started a new gym and training program, it came with weight management, most of which focused on calorie cutting. I'm a competitive person by nature, so me and her decided to go at this same program together. I started up with the app MyFitnessPal (they have automated plans that calculate if you put in your current weight and how much you want to lose), and sure enough, by keeping to that calorie amount each day, I shed 30 pounds in a matter of months! It was awesome. My grocery store trips did increase in price, because I was buying prepackaged things in order to be able to track calories, but it was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

I managed to maintain my weight across the pandemic, but I didn't lose any either. I also moved states, which meant finding a new gym. So I found one - the same program my friend had been using - which is weight training, with optional high-intensity interval training and cardio days if you feel like it. (I usually avoid those lol.) But nothing really changed until the trainer (who is a certified nutritionist as well) decided to change up what macros I was eating each day, rather than calories - i.e., the portion of carbs to protein to fats. When he increased my carbohydrates, I shed a ton of FAT in like, 3 weeks. That was great! It was oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs in the mornings, with carb-heavy meals at noon, and a light dinner.

Then... I plateaued. I stopped losing any fat. NOooooo!!!

So he changed me up again a few weeks ago. Now, instead of a pasta lunch every day, I eat... veggies. It's... better than I thought it would be, actually. I kept that oatmeal/hard-boiled egg breakfast - though it's toast instead of oatmeal, now - and for lunch, I do chopped zucchini, asparagus, onions, mushrooms if I'm feeling it, tofu, and blanched almonds on cauliflower rice. (I also pair this with a protein shake.) If you cook them all for about 5 minutes in the pan with a marinade of your choice... it's actually GOOD! And I don't like veggies as a rule! When I started eating this for lunch, I dropped belly fat really quick in 3 weeks. The key part for me was being able to buy the veggies pre-sliced, because my ADHD brain doesn't let me make a meal if I can't think past "prepare the ingredients." So it may help if you can find veggies pre-sliced, though it will mean you're going to the grocery a couple times a week instead of maybe the one time you're used to.

Sooo... to sum up, I think all bodies are different. For me, I could work out all day every day and probably not notice any results unless I eat differently and change up my diet, whether it be calorie restriction or macros changes. And you may have to do both - for me, simple calorie restriction only didn't work after a while. I'm also a person who doesn't mind eating the same foods day after day. It may be a different journey for you, but the important part is, you've already started! Doing any kind of simple activity along with changing up your diet is a very possible key to success - I wish you the best of luck!
    Thanks for going in-depth about your diet change! Luckily I LOVE vegetables (sans mushrooms) so I definitely will be adding more veggies to my mid-day meal. & you're right, the grocery trips are increasing but that's okay because nothing beats fresh produce.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Flordibel (07-20-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    99 times
    Time Online
    18d 5h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I've always been a fitness enthusiast (I'm no specialist though) so let me share with you some more technical things that I've learned

First of all, like you said it yourself, go to a sports nutritionist if you can. For me at least it makes everything 100% easier since you just need to follow what they tell you to eat, and usually people struggle with their diets the most, and not with their exercise routines. I've had my absolute best results when I could afford to pay one.

If you cant, it's important to have in mind how many calories you need to eat and are eating daily. This calculator can give you a pretty accurate idea: (you need an account to see links)
    I'll use me as an example. I'm a 28yo male, 176 cm height and weight around 75 kg. Using the 2nd calculating method (Harris-Benedict, but they are all pretty similar), I get:

Result
    BMR = 1,779 Calories/day

This is how many calories I use daily just to keep me alive. In the table below, you get varying numbers depeding on your level of activity. Me, for example:
    Daily exercise or intense exercise 3-4 times/week = 2,757 calories a day

This means that:
    If I eat more than 2757 calories a day, I gain weight
    If I eat around that many calories a day, I maintain weight
    If I eat less than 2757 calories a day, I lose weight
    (this is basic thermodynamics and is true for every human being. According to your particular numbers, of course)

Since you want to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you spend in a day. There is no other secret. Usually people do a deficit of around 500 calories of the number given by the calculator (In my case, I'd be eating 2757 - 500 = 2259 calories a day) since it's not too aggressive. Starving yourself or being too extreme is surely a recipe for disaster (you'll plateau quickly, maybe you'll have some compulsion and overeat everything later etc etc.). Take it slow.

This is what every nutritionist does basically. They just have the knowledge and experience to build a diet without having to look at every label or nutritional table...

Anyways, some other (now more generic) tips:
    - Cardio is important (helps you spend more calories) but weightlifting is just as much, if not more. Building muscle naturally makes your body spend more energy to maintain them, helping you lose even more weight.
    - Try to eat around 1.5x your weight in grams of protein daily. This helps you build muscle, not to mention protein usually keeps you satisfied longer
    - Carbs are not your enemies, nor are (healthy) fats. They give you energy that allows you to train hard and keep your hormone levels
    - Veggies and fruits are your friends! Usually you can eat as many veggies/leaves as you want since they have negligible calories and usually have lots of fiber which keep you satisfied longer.

My diet is always variations of rice, beans, milk, oatmeal, peanut butter, olive oil, fruits, veggies, potatoes, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, bread , yogurts

Simpler usually is better... stay away from highly processed foods with added sugar (sweets and soft drinks are literal bombs). This does not mean you can never eat them, but it's recomended to keep your free meals only once or twice a week, as in the long run they won't affect your results and you can eat other things that give you pleasure from time to time always remember, consistensy is key!

Anyways, I guess that's it for now, sorry if it was a bit confusing - everyone else already gave pretty good tips as well! Feel free to ask me anything else if you want, this is one of my favorite topics
    Last edited by Saturnine; 07-20-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    "Darkness fears the break of dawn!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturnine For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-21-2021)