15/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 6h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

What're you into lately?

Every once in a while, I get a bug and get super into researching every aspect of something just for fun.

Right now, I'm obsessively researching mechanical keyboards. I could get my work to buy me a standard option but I also am a snobby brat who cares about ~*~*~aesthetics*~~*~*~. The funniest part to me is that I'm probably gonna spend way too much $$$ on a keyboard when I don't have good typing "style"-- I do a (you need an account to see links) of touch and hunt+peck.
    But there's LIGHTS! And fun colors!!!

Has this research obsession happened to you lately? What's your topic of interest been and what got you into it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spaceball For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (07-01-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Your excitement over the light and colours of the keyboard cracks me up LOL I didn't realise there is so much to look for in a keyboard..... I have always been a curious person and love to find out about almost anything I encountered in life. Lately, I have been reading a lot about Schumann's life; the love triangle of him/Clara and Brahms. I have just received an autobiography book of Eugenie Schumann recently; there is so much things that the public did not know about them! Who knows Brahms was a gymnast!

Also, my project right now is to renovate my house: first my master bathroom and cloakroom, then decking in my garden and then kitchen. Ahhhh, so many ideas, so many designs and... so little money ;_;
    Last edited by mumbajumba; 07-01-2021 at 04:36 PM.

ლ ( ¯ ロ ¯ " ლ )

Thanks carrottea for the gay userbar ^^
    Thanks lyrichord for the adorable userbar ٩(♡ε♡)۶

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 12h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I live in the thick of the Brood X cicada emergence, so I thought about saving some to pin and frame, so I went down a rabbit hole of insect cleaning and preservation videos. Made me wish the world were a little more open, I would have loved to find a workshop!
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

funnybell (07-02-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Ahhhh you are so brave! Just the thought of touching an insect makes my bum clenches so hard! The only insect I could deal with is ladybird, I can't go anywhere near any insect ...... not especially a massive cicada! 〣( ºΔº )〣

ლ ( ¯ ロ ¯ " ლ )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mumbajumba For This Useful Post:

kittyray (07-01-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I took the summer off, finally. I'm researching languages right now and learning Chinese. Language research has also turned into anthropology, so it's been interesting. I love seeing the connections between cultures.

I'm currently staring at two flashy keyboards, mine & my partner's. They're very pretty, I can totally understand the obsession

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

funnybell (07-05-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    70 times
    Time Online
    31d 5h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    My partner is obsessed with keyboards. They’ve been designing and making their own, with the minimal amount of keys and as ergonomic as possible. Got them printed/soldered it themselves and exchanges keyboards with other people who make their own. Mind-blowing to basic me.

All I do is get a cute RGB board and order pastel POM jelly keycaps to put on top, hahaha. My next project is a keyboard with a wooden case and linear caps!

Mine looks like exactly like dis:

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valia For This Useful Post:

Gato (07-02-2021),kittyray (07-01-2021),Menine (07-23-2021),mumbajumba (07-01-2021),starsandmoon (07-02-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 12h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbajumba View Post
    Ahhhh you are so brave! Just the thought of touching an insect makes my bum clenches so hard! The only insect I could deal with is ladybird, I can't go anywhere near any insect ...... not especially a massive cicada! 〣( ºΔº )〣
    I'm pretty okay with most bugs, but I do hate spiders and don't think I could touch one, even dead ones make my skin crawl a little. Touching the dead cicadas in this was is weirdly intimate for lack of better word. Like I feel like I should be as respectful and caring as I can be.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

mumbajumba (07-01-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    678 times
    Time Online
    214d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 32m
    I had rainbow gradient stickers on my keys for a good while.
    My fingers wore the colors out fairly quickly unfortunately, but it was very fun while it lasted.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    I took the summer off, finally. I'm researching languages right now and learning Chinese. Language research has also turned into anthropology, so it's been interesting. I love seeing the connections between cultures.

I'm currently staring at two flashy keyboards, mine & my partner's. They're very pretty, I can totally understand the obsession
    As a multi-linguist who travels a lot, I can confirm that language is interdependent with and has huge impact on one's culture and social structures. You may notice cultural differences when you are trying to understand your friend from different culture, for example, and he uses one word rather than another to express his thought and you would have used a different word to translate the same thing. There was even a study done by a behavioural economist - it appears people who do not strictly define time in their language, as is the case with Chinese, tend to save more than those who speak languages that distinguish between past, present, and future actions.

P.S If you ever need help with Chinese, you are more than welcome to shoot me some questions x

ლ ( ¯ ロ ¯ " ლ )

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumbajumba For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (07-01-2021),kittyray (07-01-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbajumba View Post
    As a multi-linguist who travels a lot, I can confirm that language is interdependent with and has huge impact on one's culture and social structures. You may notice cultural differences when you are trying to understand your friend from different culture, for example, and he uses one word rather than another to express his thought and you would have used a different word to translate the same thing. There was even a study done by a behavioural economist - it appears people who do not strictly define time in their language, as is the case with Chinese, tend to save more than those who speak languages that distinguish between past, present, and future actions.

P.S If you ever need help with Chinese, you are more than welcome to shoot me some questions x
    That's so interesting you said that because I was just thinking how Chinese is so much easier to learn than Spanish or French. The past, present, and future tenses, especially verb conjugations got me when I was learning the romance languages. I also find Chinese characters easier to read and the phonetics make it easier to speak/understand.