Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m

Good Omens Season 2

*Excitedly kicks down the door*

After a long time speculating and wondering Season 2 of Good Omens is confirmed by Neil Gaiman!

NEIL GAIMAN’S BLOG ENTRY ABOUT GOOD OMENS SEASON 2

Many, many years ago (it was Hallowe'en 1989, for the curious, the year before Good Omens was published) Terry Pratchett and I were sharing a room at the World Fantasy Convention in Seattle, to keep the costs down, because we were both young authors, and taking ourselves to America and conventions were expensive. It was a wonderful convention. I remember a huge Seattle second-hand bookstore in which I found a dozen or so green-bound Storisende Edition James Branch Cabell books, each signed so neatly by the author that the bookshop people assured me that the signatures were printed, and really ten dollars a book was the correct price.

I could afford books. Good Omens had just been sold to UK publishers and then to US publishers for more money than Terry or I had ever received for anything. (Terry had been incredibly worried about this, certain that receiving a healthy advance would mean the end of his career. When his career didn’t end, Terry suggested to his agent that perhaps he ought to be getting that kind of advance for every book from now on, and his life changed, and he stopped having to share a hotel room to save money. But I digress.) Advance reading copies of Good Omens had not yet gone out, but a few editors had read it (ones who had bid for it but failed to buy it) and they all seemed very excited about it, and thrilled for us.

On the Saturday evening Terry left the bar quite early and headed off to bed. I stayed up talking to people and having a marvelous time, hung in there until the small hours of the morning when they closed the hotel bar and all the people went away, and then headed up to the hotel room room.

I opened the door as quietly as I could and tiptoed in the dark across the room to where my bed was located.

I’d just reached the bed when, from the far side of the room, a voice said, “What time of the night do you call this then? Your mother and I have been worried sick about you.”

Terry was wide awake. Jet lag had taken its toll.

And I was wide awake too. So we lay in our respective beds and having nothing else to do, we plotted the sequel to Good Omens. It was a good one, too. We fully intended to write it, whenever we next had three or four months free. Only I went to live in America and Terry stayed in the UK, and after Good Omens was published Sandman became SANDMAN and Discworld became DISCWORLD™ and there wasn’t ever a good time.

But we never forgot it.

It’s been thirty-one years since Good Omens was published, which means it’s thirty-two years since Terry Pratchett and I lay in our respective beds in a Seattle hotel room at a World Fantasy Convention, and plotted the sequel. (I got to use bits of the sequel in the TV series version of Good Omens – that’s where our angels came from.)

(you need an account to see links)
    [Terry and I, in Cardiff in 2010, on the night we decided that Good Omens should become a television series.]

Terry was clear on what he wanted from Good Omens on the telly. He wanted the story told, and if that worked, he wanted the rest of the story told.

So in September 2017 I sat down in St James’ Park, beside the director, Douglas Mackinnon, on a chair with my name on it, as Showrunner of Good Omens. The chair slowly and elegantly lowered itself to the ground underneath me and fell apart, and I thought, that’s not really a good omen. Fortunately, under Douglas’s leadership, that chair was the only thing that collapsed.

So, once Good Omens the TV series had been released by Amazon and the BBC, to global acclaim, many awards and joy, Rob Wilkins (Terry’s representative on Earth) and I had the conversation with the BBC and Amazon about doing some more. And they got very excited. We talked to Michael Sheen and David Tennant about doing some more. They also got very excited. We told them a little about the plot. They got even more excited.

[Rob Wilkins and David Tennant on the second day of shooting.]

I’d been a fan of John Finnemore’s for years, and had had the joy of working with him on a radio show called With Great Pleasure, where I picked passages I loved, had amazing readers read them aloud and talked about them.

(Here’s a clip from that show of me talking about working with Terry Pratchett, and reading a poem by Terry: (you need an account to see links). Here’s the whole show from (you need an account to see links) with John Finnemore’s bits too.)

[L to R: With Great Pleasure. John Finnemore, me all beardy, Nina Sosanya (Sister Mary in Good Omens) Peter Capaldi (he played Islington in the original BBC series of Neverwhere).]

I asked John if he’d be willing to work with me on writing the next round of Good Omens, and was overjoyed when he said yes. We have some surprise guest collaborators too. And Douglas Mackinnon is returning to oversee the whole thing with me.

So that’s the plan. We’ve been keeping it secret for a long time (mostly because otherwise my mail and Twitter feeds would have turned into gushing torrents of What Can You Tell Us About It? long ago) but we are now at the point where sets are being built in Scotland (which is where we’re shooting, and more about filming things in Scotland soon), and we can’t really keep it secret any longer.

There are so many questions people have asked about what happened next (and also, what happened before) to our favourite Angel and Demon. Here are, perhaps, some of the answers you’ve been hoping for.

As Good Omens continues, we will be back in Soho, and all through time and space, solving a mystery which starts with one of the angels wandering through a Soho street market with no memory of who they might be, on their way to Aziraphale’s bookshop.

(Although our story actually begins about five minutes before anyone had got around to saying “Let there be Light”.)

Thank you Hollow for the shiny Minior art!
    Thank you ♥ hearts ♥ for the shiny Minior pumpkin!
    Mint born 11/15/2020

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

Android (07-01-2021),Goddammit (06-30-2021),kittyray (06-29-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I bought that book years and years ago and never got around to reading it. When I the show came out I was super busy, so even that didn't push me, but maybe now this is the shove I need. Thanks for sharing!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Hall (06-29-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    19d N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I'm excited to see more, as I loved the first season. I'm sure the second season will be fun as well. I hope that they focus more on the angels cause thats what I found most exciting out of the entire show and book... I love David in his role as Crowley and seeing John Hamm!

thank yew lyrichord for my userbar/avatar! <3

nya

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wormjaw For This Useful Post:

Hall (06-29-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I bought that book years and years ago and never got around to reading it. When I the show came out I was super busy, so even that didn't push me, but maybe now this is the shove I need. Thanks for sharing!
    Yes! I'm a big fan of both the book and the show! And really all things from Sir Terry. Neil Gaiman is awesome so and if you have a Tumblr/Twitter you should follow him. Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormjaw View Post
    I'm excited to see more, as I loved the first season. I'm sure the second season will be fun as well. I hope that they focus more on the angels cause thats what I found most exciting out of the entire show and book... I love David in his role as Crowley and seeing John Hamm!

Super hoping for more angels as well YAS John Hamm! *high five* Even though he's an ass in the show I really do love Gabriel and John Hamm plays him so well.

Mint born 11/15/2020

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    19d N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

thank yew lyrichord for my userbar/avatar! <3

nya

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    So I found my copy of the book and it's a mass market paperback edition, which I sometimes find annoying to hold/read, so I kind of want to buy a hardcover, or maybe I can see if I can find some cool edition. I really like my American Gods/Anansi Boys, but idk if that style was only for those two, I found some illustrated versions, but they're a bit pricier than I'd want to spend.

[edit] So one of the covers I liked was I guess a UK edition, but I found a used copy, that's a former library book, and I kind of like that it has history like that. Only thing is I picked the slowest shipping, so it could be a few weeks.
    Last edited by kittyray; 06-30-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Hall (07-01-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    28d 16h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Woof didn't know that about Michael Sheen. I hope they're happy and good to each other though. :/
    I haven't read Good Omens but I saw season 1 when it came out, and I've read a couple other Neil Gaiman works. Looking forward to more Aziraphale and Crowley interactions I had a big crush on Tennant in his DW days... Guess it's time for a rewatch!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    @(you need an account to see links) Well at least you'll have a cover that you like! I'm excited for you to read it.

@(you need an account to see links) Yes re-watch time! I was thinking of doing that as well. I REALLY hope in season 2 there are more historical times stuff. Like opening the bookshop or something. That would just be awesome.
    Last edited by Hall; 07-01-2021 at 11:59 AM. Reason: formatting

Mint born 11/15/2020

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

funnybell (07-01-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Okay, I read the book, mostly on the plane during my move, and really enjoyed it. I didn't love it as much as I have Gaiman's other work, but I wonder if it's just because I'm not familiar with Pratchett beyond name, so I'm not used to his flair.

I watched the show over the past couple weeks and enjoyed it! There was something I can't quite put my finger on that didn't quite hit the mark, but it wasn't bad by any means. I'm excited for season two.

I feel like this sounds negative, but I really did like both the book and the show, just not a favorite.

Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Hall (09-18-2021)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm glad you got around to both reading and watching Good Omens. :3 Sir Terry does indeed have his own flair!

If you're interested in reading more of Sir Terry's work I'd say start with Going Postal or Guards! Guards!

I say this totally bias as a Discworld fan of course.

Mint born 11/15/2020